Apogee Duet alternative PC

Klosure

Nov 26, 2009
I am looking for an alternative to the Apogee Duet.

I bought one sometime ago but a pre amp blew. Luckily Apogee swapped it wth a new one. 3 months later same thing occured.

I got into contact with Apogee who say they are aware of this issue but currentlyhave not issues a redesign.

So I cant get another one now. I am sure the other Apogee stuff is great but the Duets seem to have a QC issue.

Anyway Ive been offered an exchange by my local shop. What would you consider to be a good other model.

Since I use PC as well as mac I would also like it to support both.

Yep saw the new RME

I nopticed the new MBOX 3 uses the same ADDA chips as the Duet but works on both PC and Mac plus you get PT~LE thrown in (with upgrade discounts).

I have to say that the new Boxes looks great I might be going that route!

^ Mine just arrived! Got the Pro brand new, sealed box for the price of the standard Mbox 3 so I'm pretty thrilled about that. Everything I've read so far and heard from a couple people is suggesting its on par with the duet

^ Mine just arrived! Got the Pro brand new, sealed box for the price of the standard Mbox 3 so I'm pretty thrilled about that. Everything I've read so far and heard from a couple people is suggesting its on par with the duet

Fantastic let me know how it sounds. I am going to get the standard as I only need the 2 pre's but its apparently the same chipset as the pro.

Will do

The only major diff between the two models aside from the additional inputs and word clock input is that the pro model is firewire whereas the standard is still usb. Don't know if that factors into anything for you, I'm sure you knew that already anyway :)

I may not get it all hooked up and running until the weekend though. I'll report back with whatever measure of success or failure I hit

Will do

The only major diff between the two models aside from the additional inputs and word clock input is that the pro model is firewire whereas the standard is still usb. Don't know if that factors into anything for you, I'm sure you knew that already anyway :)

I may not get it all hooked up and running until the weekend though. I'll report back with whatever measure of success or failure I hit

Yep I knew that, the inputs is not an issue, the Firewire is great but I wanted to be able to use it on both mac and PC and probabl a PC laptop of which most dont have firewire.

Still I've always found firewire very good. I think USB isn't too far behind though for low bandwidge stuff.