HOW good is the Apogee Duet?

guitarded88

Jan 25, 2009
Waterloo/Brampton, ON
So after weeks of researching for a new audio interface I seem to keep coming back to this one. I'm seduced by the numerous reviews raving about this piece. I care a lot about audio quality, even though I'm pretty new to home recording, and since I don't record drums it seems like the ideal choice. So is it worth potentially limiting myself to have a great pair of preamps and DA converters?

Then again, even though I'm only recording guitar, vocals and bass (seperately), it seems that reamping needs 3 inputs to be done properly (Unless I wanna ditch using the studio fredman mic technique). I have my Tascam US-122 still and I can aggregate the two devices on my mac, to give me two more inputs. But would sending the DI track through my US-122 butcher the tone and defeat the purpose when I reamp through my Duet.:err:

Another option I was considering is the Echo Audiofire 8. Apparently it has fantastic DA conversion but the pres aren't quite as good as the apogee. Could I get a relatively cheap outboard preamp that is around the same quality as the apogee?

Or am I to new to be spending this much on gear...:oops:

the one thing that discouraged me from buying the duet, is the lack of OUTPUTS. it only has 2 outs for your monitors. therefor, you can`t send a signal to be reamped, unless you forfeit using your monitors simultaneously.

if you use both interfaces setup as an aggragate device, you may have to play with the tracks, dragging them into place, because usually the interfaces will be a few samples apart.

my 2cents

the one thing that discouraged me from buying the duet, is the lack of OUTPUTS. it only has 2 outs for your monitors. therefor, you can`t send a signal to be reamped, unless you forfeit using your monitors simultaneously.

Yes... I was actually wondering if there was some kind of switching solution which i could just switch from one to the other but doesn't look like it can be done cheaply...

if you use both interfaces setup as an aggragate device, you may have to play with the tracks, dragging them into place, because usually the interfaces will be a few samples apart.

I didn't know that actually... and that seems like a huge pain in the ass:mad:

Damn you apogee!! Couldn't have tossed us at least a couple more I/O's could you?!

+1 billion, I could never have an interface with less than three outputs for this very reason!

And I wish they made something between the Duet and Ensemble (and something for PC :mad: ) And the Onyx Satellite fucking rules, I love mine, no complaints! (except its size!)

:rolleyes: I wish I could spend all my money right now but I'm saving for a car.

I was originally going to spring for the Focusrite Saffire LE, or an Onyx Satellite before I got caught up in all this hype.

so right now even 500 bucks is a stretch with state of the Canadian Dollar.

I'm ordering that Saffire LE in about 5 days if everything goes well on my Bday :kickass:

I was originally aiming for the onyx satellite, but the fact its discontinued put me off

+1 billion, I could never have an interface with less than three outputs for this very reason!

And I wish they made something between the Duet and Ensemble (and something for PC :mad: ) And the Onyx Satellite fucking rules, I love mine, no complaints! (except its size!)

The Onyx looks pretty sexy. Seems to be the best bang for the buck, I might spring for one of those. How do you think the pres and DA Conversion would stack up against the apogee?

And is it only 2 simultaneous inputs or is it only 2 preamps?

Only two simultaneous inputs, each with a preamp - kinda tricky the way they work it out that way, but even though the preamps (maybe) and the converters (DEFINITELY) are inferior to the Apogee, it still sounds good, and do you really wanna spend $500 on an interface that won't have any more i/o options? Better to go for the Onyx and get something with more i/o like a Fireface when you've got the cash! And the aforementioned fact that the Duet only has two outputs :mad:

Only two simultaneous inputs, each with a preamp - kinda tricky the way they work it out that way, but even though the preamps (maybe) and the converters (DEFINITELY) are inferior to the Apogee, it still sounds good, and do you really wanna spend $500 on an interface that won't have any more i/o options? Better to go for the Onyx and get something with more i/o like a Fireface when you've got the cash! And the aforementioned fact that the Duet only has two outputs :mad:

I guess the only problem there is that it wouldn't let me record with two mics and a DI at the same time, which kind of makes me want to spring for the Saffire LE...

How do the two compare sound-wise?

What would have the NEXT best sound quality compared to the duet, under $600?

Hmm, can't answer those questions unfortunately

However, one thing I've recently discovered is the TC Electronic Konnekt 24D, which seems to be the only interface that actually offers what I want; ADAT i/o for expandability, but with only a couple of analog in's and preamps so the cost is lower than the Profire 2626, Firestudio 2626, etc. (presumably without a sacrifice in quality). Preliminary research has turned up nothing but good reviews, and for the price they're going for, I'd strongly consider it if I had moneys! :( (but when I do have 'em, I'll continue to strongly consider it :D)

Hmm, can't answer those questions unfortunately

However, one thing I've recently discovered is the TC Electronic Konnekt 24D, which seems to be the only interface that actually offers what I want; ADAT i/o for expandability, but with only a couple of analog in's and preamps so the cost is lower than the Profire 2626, Firestudio 2626, etc. (presumably without a sacrifice in quality). Preliminary research has turned up nothing but good reviews, and for the price they're going for, I'd strongly consider it if I had moneys! :( (but when I do have 'em, I'll continue to strongly consider it :D)

Hell yeee, they do make good shit don't they? I had my eye on it for a while, and then I heard of all the driver issues. Maybe They are resolved now, I'll have to check again...

lol ok i just did a quick google.ca and people still seem to be having problems with em :loco:: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614053&page=65

thought about a firepod???

you dont need to have 2 mics and a di if you plan on reamping anyways... just get a di and one miced track, then use two mics while reamping.

That's definitely true, but it would essentially make the process take twice as long.

This is uber-frustrating. I just received my redeye in the mail yesterday but don't wanna start tracking on crappy gear.

if you get it right the first time, there is no need to reamp. i wouldnt blend multiple recordings of the same performance. always alot of phase issues, and it will suck away your sound.

to tell you the truth, now that im better at tracking guitars the first time around, I rarely reamp!

I would never wanna go without re-amping personally, cuz I do all my recording with ampsims to save the hassle (and noise) of mic'ing up the ol' amp every time (though I only record myself, which means I wanna be able to do it at the drop of a hat when inspiration strikes, rather than making a big event out of setting up the amp/cab/mic etc.)

Hell yeee, they do make good shit don't they? I had my eye on it for a while, and then I heard of all the driver issues. Maybe They are resolved now, I'll have to check again...

lol ok i just did a quick google.ca and people still seem to be having problems with em :loco:: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614053&page=65

Maybe, but you could always get one and return it if it didn't work! And I'd imagine it'd have better pres and converters than any other ADAT-equipped interface beneath $800!

EDIT: Just read those posts though, eek :ill:

Fuck, you know, it's really obnoxious that all the interfaces with ADAT expandability already have a fuckload of preamps and analog inputs to begin with! (and are priced accordingly). I wish I could find something like the Fireface 400 with not quite as ridiculous converters (or whatever else makes it 1300 fucking dollars), and the Konnekt 24D looked like it...

Another option is the EMU 1616M (specifically the "m" variant, cuz it has the better converters), but for some retarded reason they stopped making the PCMCIA version :Smug: Also, I've heard the software is annoying, but that might be worth researching too if you're on a desktop!

The 1616M is more expensive than the Profire 2626 though.

At least in the UK anyway.

(He says eyeing all this stuff up for a raid on the ol' bank account in the near future :D)