Apologies from Arizona

arizonametal

New Metal Member
Mar 6, 2010
I know that no one from DT will probably read this, but I just wanted to apologize for the people who threw a water bottle at Mikael during the Marquee concert on March 5th. It was extremely immature of them, and a terrible example of an audience. You guys didn't really look too pleased when I was leaving after your set to go to work, Martin looked about ready to kill someone. Please don't consider Arizona worthless for the headlining tour, some of us in that crowd really want you guys to come back!

That's kind of the downside to playing with the type of crowd KsE and DWP bring out. Those are exactly the kind of metalheads you've all heard me complain about. It doesn't even have anything to do with DT or their music. It's just that some people (either 12 years old or very drunk) didn't know the band on stage and decided they'd have more fun being assholes than giving the music a shot.

That's got to be frustrating after decades of doing your best every night. I'm sure that when they make the rounds of the US again, playing to their own audiences (and probably AZ, if they've got time to hit everyone), they'll get exactly the kind of welcome that they deserve.

At any rate, arizonametal, it's great that you could be there. I made it a point in Royal Oak to make sure the band knew, despite playing to someone else's crowd, that there were still some superfans in the audience. I'm sure you and the rest of the DT fans in the audience made your presence known, and that make a difference.

Yeah we definitely made our presence known, they said they were going to come back later in the year, so hopefully we'll get them headlining (which is apparently the plan from what Mikael said), and maybe they will bring some good bands with them. It was an insult that they were opening, barely any stage room for the whole band, with all this other crap in the background for the other bands.

That's kind of the downside to playing with the type of crowd KsE and DWP bring out. Those are exactly the kind of metalheads you've all heard me complain about. It doesn't even have anything to do with DT or their music. It's just that some people (either 12 years old or very drunk) didn't know the band on stage and decided they'd have more fun being assholes than giving the music a shot.

That's got to be frustrating after decades of doing your best every night. I'm sure that when they make the rounds of the US again, playing to their own audiences (and probably AZ, if they've got time to hit everyone), they'll get exactly the kind of welcome that they deserve.

At any rate, arizonametal, it's great that you could be there. I made it a point in Royal Oak to make sure the band knew, despite playing to someone else's crowd, that there were still some superfans in the audience. I'm sure you and the rest of the DT fans in the audience made your presence known, and that make a difference.

Yeah we definitely made our presence known, they said they were going to come back later in the year, so hopefully we'll get them headlining (which is apparently the plan from what Mikael said), and maybe they will bring some good bands with them. It was an insult that they were opening, barely any stage room for the whole band, with all this other crap in the background for the other bands.

Time to change label perhaps…?

It's not that DT can't open for any band, but it's the bands they're opening for. It reminds of when I saw Cynic (about a month ago), a real insult having Sean Reinert in one corner playing drums, not even having the back of the stage. I get that Cynic and Devin Townsend are bands that need to tour with big bands like Between the Crap, Buried and Me. But c'mon, Dark Tranquillity?

The band became really popular after Character (whilst still somewhat and somehow maintaining their underground status), so it's surprising, and insulting, to see them open for bands like DWP and KSE.

There are always idiots at concerts, metal or not, 12 years old or not. For DT in Arizona it was a water bottle; for other bands in other places, it's (at best) beer glasses or (at worst) beer glasses where the beer has been replaced by a certain other yellow liquid of a more directly biological origin. With almost seven thousand million (read: NOT seven billion, which is a thousand times more than seven thousand million) people in the world and the world's money going to new bridges, international wars, civil wars, silly inter-country loans and other crap of that kind instead of education and quality of life, it's barely a wonder.

if something happens like this in nor cal im gonna snap a kid.

@defiance: dude Between the B&M arnt core like KSE and DWP and are badass live

I saw KsE back in 2002, with Sentenced, DT and IF and they were HORRIBLE. They were actually getting booed in Milwaukee. I don't know how much has changed, but I don't really wanna stand through DWP to see KsE.

As stizz said, this is the type of crowd KSE, DWP and the like bring out... and this type of crowd is very common in the American metal scene.

Shit-filled maggots floating in puddles of chunky horse vomit: America's biggest metal fans!

It's pretty disgusting that DT are opening for KsE and especially DWP. How the fuck does that work? Awful work from all involved.

Also, whilst a water bottle being thrown is lame, there has been worse. At bloodstock this year somebody sent a Cradle of Filth member to the hospital after injuring his back with a missile the size of a golf ball.

I don't like CoF, I left after about 4 songs of their set because it was terrible, but there's no need to ruin the show for others or try to injure another person because you don't like them or give a shit about them. That's exactly what the metalhead crowd is supposed to rally against.

I saw KsE back in 2002, with Sentenced, DT and IF and they were HORRIBLE. They were actually getting booed in Milwaukee. I don't know how much has changed, but I don't really wanna stand through DWP to see KsE.

Yeah, I guess 99.9% of DT fans will see DT and leave.

As stizz said, this is the type of crowd KSE, DWP and the like bring out... and this type of crowd is very common in the American metal scene.

Shit-filled maggots floating in puddles of chunky horse vomit: America's biggest metal fans!

Even if it's very sad, it's true. Not only that, but it's very similar to the Toronto metal scene. That's kind of obvious since Toronto is probably the city that is most similar to the U.S. Just a bunch of kids who think BBM is the greatest band on earth, and go to see that band instead of Devin Townsend or Cynic.

R.I.P. the scene?

For fuck's sake, people, at least have the decency to throw alcohol.

My thoughts exactly, haha :D

Last time In Flames got thrown at with a plastic cup of beer at some Austrian festival (which is ridiculous), and Anders got hit, I think, - they got off the stage right after that as far as reports went (which is even more ridiculous).

But security should really watch that shit, although I rarely saw bouncers for opening bands besides when the clubs were sold out (like last time in Baltimore).

I saw this as well. It was the last show of the tour in Providence, R.I. The messed up part was KSE being on that bill in the first place, since the rest of the sets could have flowed well without them. I have never really cared for them. I spoke to Howard once and told him that I didn't care for KSE, although the kids love it, and that I respected that they bust their asses, and he appreciated my honesty.

Yay, let us all be ignorant metalhead fucks and bash those bands we don't like since their crowds are so ignorant.
Four days until I will be able to pay some respect to the man in the ice-cream van. Hyper, hyper!

The strongest irony is that Dark Tranquillity where the openin act for bands that have lots of elements influenced by Dark Tranquillity. So this is the biggest crap that their label (or who it's related to) have ever made.
Anyway, I like Killswitch Engage or to tell the truth I still like some tunes except the last album.

More to say, I've never thought that you americans have the same problem. I was pretty sure that only here we've got a bunch of these emo-metal-death-insert_any_random_shitword+CORE kids with those huge loathsome tunnels, tons of piercings, senseless (and absolutely the same) tattos and being ever-drunk. It is pretty disturbing when they crowdsurf on every song (really, I always see the same retarded faces on each song) and bothering you instead of just letting enjoy the show. I am very peaceful person but this time on December I sometimes were so close to kick someone's ass, 'cause I came for enjoying the show - not for struggling with idiots.
And the most annoying thing is that those idiots disturbing musicians. They repeatedly come to the stage to shake hands, to have a hug and all that shit WHEN THE BAND PLAYS. Am I the one who finds this to be disrespect treatment?
In 2008 some stupid asshole caused technical issues for M. Niklasson by catching on bass'es pin with his t-shirt and immidiately jumping off the stage. Luckily me and some guys managed to catch him before he caused some more serious damage to bass guitar. It was on "My Negation". But this wasn't enough 'cause for the second "My Negation" time in 2009 drunk stupid girl came to stage hanging Mikael while he was singing, so he got confused singing the lyrics for a while.

Sometimes I wish that somebody could kill those people who are not able to respect musicians, behave oneself and respect people around

But... but... I wanna get drunk and hang onto Mikael, he's so dreamy... =)

Seriously... I haven't seen many shows were something like this has happened. Maybe there was too much booze at the venue (and they drank it all, thus getting hit with a bottle of water and not beer)?