Apparently.... Opeth is black metal.

Mr Samsara

Misanthropic Moderator
Jul 9, 2004
Carrying a Burden Inside
I have a rare hour to myself in the house and I popped in my DVD-A version of Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing"..went to "Extras"...to "Notes"... and 4 pages into their bio there is this sentence:

"Porcupine Tree have not only bridged the gap, they've created one of the most rabid followings which include diverse devotees such as touring mates and black metal icons Opeth, Isreali musician Aviv Geffen, and progressive godfathers Yes."

Hmmmmmm.:heh:

edit: Typo

wheres that girl from here that came up with "Epic Majestic Black Folk Battle Metal" or something as a subgenre when you need her...

but but but, Opeth IS blackmetal....or did you not get the memo? lulz

makethestringscry said:
Meh, I dont like alot of black metal, seems like the alot of bands usually sounds like

(BASS, SNARE, BASS, SNARE, BASS, SNARE, BASS, SNARE) as fast as possible.

Sure I'll get reemed for saying that though.

Try Taake. You might enjoy it.

Amarantus said:
Mr. Obvious to comes to save the daaaaaaay!
Master-of-the-obvious.jpg

Mike's growls, especially on earlier albums, could count as black metal leanings, but for the most part they are far away from the Norwegian border.

I don't want to look like a knob, because what I'm about to say may not be what you were getting at, but, you don't have to be Norwegian to be a Black Metal band. Besides which you're right, the vocals are black metal on Orchid and Morningrise (or not, I can't bothered to argue) but other than that, it's progressive, leaning toward melodic death. Which makes sense, cause if you were a teenage metalhead and musician in late 80's early 90's Sweden, you were probably going to form a melo death band, I feel it's a relativley safe bet anyway.

want good black metal, i suggest orphand land's 2004 album "mabool." :cool: it's about jesus and god, so it's pretty much christian metal, but the music is really cool. :)