Apparently.... Opeth is black metal.

anothor2kmaq6.jpg

I love how people who know fucking NOTHING about Black Metal (including how it actually sounds) like to dicuss Black Metal. Do your fucking research (about 90% of the posters in this thread).

The Hubster said:
I love how people who know fucking NOTHING about Black Metal (including how it actually sounds) like to dicuss Black Metal. Do your fucking research (about 90% of the posters in this thread).

truly. but its kind of a lost cause man. most of these guys arent interested in "black metal". they want overly melodic, supersynthesized and watered down aggression which are just labeled as "black metal".

NineFeetUnderground said:
truly. but its kind of a lost cause man. most of these guys arent interested in "black metal". they want overly melodic, supersynthesized and watered down aggression which are just labeled as "black metal".

*sigh* you're totally right man, but it's sooo annoying. And it's not about being elitist (you or me or anyone else who has a deep appreication of BM), its about people making really fucking stupid posts instead of getting hold of the music and learning the right way, reading interviews and articles etc, and THEN posting their discussions.

How can Generation Y be so fundamentally stupid and devoid of intelligence is beyond me!! You people would think Shakira was metal if she admitted she liked Opeth. Fucking wake up, youre the shame of the metal world you little sheep!

Go look on amg & wikipedia. Technically opeth is the following: Scadanavian metal/death metal/black metal/symphonic black metal/Progressive metal.

The Hubster said:
*sigh* you're totally right man, but it's sooo annoying. And it's not about being elitist (you or me or anyone else who has a deep appreication of BM), its about people making really fucking stupid posts instead of getting hold of the music and learning the right way, reading interviews and articles etc, and THEN posting their discussions.

How can Generation Y be so fundamentally stupid and devoid of intelligence is beyond me!! You people would think Shakira was metal if she admitted she liked Opeth. Fucking wake up, youre the shame of the metal world you little sheep!

well i cant say i have a "Deep Appreciation" for black metal. but there was a time when it was an important genre to me...and other metal sub genres as well. i do understand it, and know what the goods are, and what the crap is. the point is most metal fans just want 4 minutes of headbangable rehash. their standards arent too high, and they will listen to just about anything remotely catchy and with a good beat. ironically, the best black metal doesnt fit much of that description at all...and all the phoney shit does. so there it is.

WTF555666 said:
Go look on amg & wikipedia. Technically opeth is the following: Scadanavian metal/death metal/black metal/symphonic black metal/Progressive metal.

You consider Wikipedia a reliable source? How about you justify by using your own observations how Opeth is apparently BM? Give some BM references and your opinion can be taken more seriously. Otherwise, as you clearly know nothing about BM, so I would suggest you go and listen to some, take it in, and then think about how pathetic such a proposed correlation really is.

Anyone with a brain knows that the first two albums were CLEARLY Gothenburg. The rest of the discography speaks for itself.

NineFeetUnderground said:
the point is most metal fans just want 4 minutes of headbangable rehash. their standards arent too high, and they will listen to just about anything remotely catchy and with a good beat. ironically, the best black metal doesnt fit much of that description at all...and all the phoney shit does. so there it is.

Well said, and I agree 100%.

illidurit said:
lmao how can he take the 'black metal' tag seriously when it also says opeth is 'symphonic black metal'

surely no one actually thinks opeth is symphonic?? :erk:

Oh but they are! I can hear the Emperor-esque swarming keys everywhere!

o_O

imo opinion symphonic black metal is symphonic because of high usage of a keyboard instrument in an orchestral style. NFU might be able to explain it better than I could.