Apparently.... Opeth is black metal.

Powers said:
I don't want to look like a knob, because what I'm about to say may not be what you were getting at, but, you don't have to be Norwegian to be a Black Metal band. Besides which you're right, the vocals are black metal on Orchid and Morningrise (or not, I can't bothered to argue) but other than that, it's progressive, leaning toward melodic death. Which makes sense, cause if you were a teenage metalhead and musician in late 80's early 90's Sweden, you were probably going to form a melo death band, I feel it's a relativley safe bet anyway.
Melodic Death Metal yes, and maybe the only ones who can pull it off too.

The Hubster said:
Whatever, but the stupidity of this topic is just mind-numbingly pathetic. People talking about shit they know nothing about makes my blood boil.

CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!

its not a "pathetic topic" by any means, but that fact that you have followed it so religiously despite your feelings about it, really does make me wonder.....its also laughable that you should get so uptight about it, tbph.

The Hubster said:
Whatever, but the stupidity of this topic is just mind-numbingly pathetic. People talking about shit they know nothing about makes my blood boil.

CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!
We know nothing about black metal? Or we know nothing about Opeth? Or perhaps it was aimed at PT not knowing... in any case, lol.

Pear Goro said:
want good black metal, i suggest orphand land's 2004 album "mabool." :cool: it's about jesus and god, so it's pretty much christian metal, but the music is really cool. :)

Christian Metal? It's an Israeli band! :yell: Obviously/probably they are jews - if they are: You can be satanist and write about "God". Unfortunately I never heard a record of them or read their lyrics ...

Blue_Jay said:
I agree crack sucks. Any drug sucks as it messes with a person's good personality too much. Even worse is wine but that isn't really a drug.

I'm looking forward when You're able to read, so You could inform yourself before You post ...:mad:
"Drug: A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction."
(http://www.answers.com/topic/drug)

Opeth themselves call Opeth a death metal band. It's really the vocals that's the death metal in Opeth. And the two first albums had kinda black metalish grim vocals in places.

Black metal rules, death metal rules. Opeth aren't really either of them. Progressive metal of some kind I call them, but hell what do I know.

Opeth are Opeth. I like to be able to listen to a band that doesn't conform, or hell, FIT in one certain genre. If Opeth wasn't so good at doing whatever the hell they feel like, you guys wouldn't be arguing over their Black Metalness, which is irrelevant to their musicianship.

Alright, now to completely contradict what I just said, Opeth are not a "Black Metal" band and have never been. On the Lamentations DVD, Mikael said that he had some ideas for a concept album (Ghost Reveries) that was borderline Black Metal. Now, nothing about Ghost Reveries is Black Metal, except for that it takes on purely occult themes (where albums like MAYH use ghosts and the occult just as a means to lament about death and loss of love and ordinary sadness).

The vocals on Morningrise could be considered more BMish, but Mikael says that some of the riffs were so typical of the Scandinavian music back then (I'm assuming the second wave of Black Metal) that it sometimes pains him to listen to them. So no, Opeth are not a BM band. Because we all know that Mikael is infallible.