Apple Desktop price discussion

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
Lately I've been into the thought maybe getting an Mac Pro, I'm very satisfied with my current system, but it bugs me that the new CS5 runs on intel only and more and more software starts to go that way.

Anyhow, I've been actually really furious by the prices the Mac Pro's go for. I've been a loyal Mac user since I was 11 years old. And now 14 years further, I actually sometimes think of the horror of maybe getting a PC specially designed for the music software I own. Problem then again would be....it's fucking Windows... I haven't worked with Windows in yearssssssssss, and every Mac I've owned was really stable...and I actually can't think myself working on any other system then OS X.

Getting the basic Mac Pro almost takes away 2 monthly paychecks...bastards..
Anyhow..feel free to discuss...any more people feeling this way, I just wanted to vent this frustration?

I'm in the same boat for sure, but considering I've been using my Mac daily for 8 years now, I'm willing to pay the extra money for the extra quality and longevity. Not to mention the fact that Macs don't make me want to punch things when I use them.

I've had my Mac Pro since 2007, I dropped $2800 on it and it's still running super fast and efficient to this day. It was worth it.

im on the same boat funky animal...

...i was reading the "intel 980x" thread joey started a while back, but i didn't quite get a couple of things...but they were saying that a Windows machine is much better for a native system (like the one i currently own) then a Mac. I wish someone could explain that to me in a little more detail than just "it runs better".

As far as the prices...i think they will be around 2000-3000 for either windows or mac. so i guess that's not much of a problem

...i was reading the "intel 980x" thread joey started a while back, but i didn't quite get a couple of things...but they were saying that a Windows machine is much better for a native system (like the one i currently own) then a Mac. I wish someone could explain that to me in a little more detail than just "it runs better".

There are settings that can be altered on a pc to get much better low latency performance that can't be done on osx. Speedstepping and various other cpu settings.

If Apple did a tower based machine revolving around a Q6600, but with the ability to have extra SATA drives that I can install myself. You'd bet I'd buy one.

Basically though - Apple sells hardware. They're not interested in catering to the middle range (ie: people who are heavy into audio, but not necessarily running a studio or making all their money from it). iMacs are stunted, and are designed mainly for graphic designers - they're not designed for high-end audio work.

Did you see the new Mac Mini's ?? Still on a C2D chip?? Ffs.....

I just waited for a Mac Pro to drop into the Apple refurbished section.
Saved myself about £500 :)

Refurbished and Student Discount are available... hell if you speak to your course tutor, they give you a code to get extra "Educational discount" for when a Mac is preferred for your chosen subject i.e. Media/Art/Photography