Apple Time Machine - experiences of setting up new computer

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
Has anybody used a time machine backup from an old computer to setup a new one?

I'm planning to buy a newer iMac in the next few months and was wondering what the best way to go is regarding migrating my stuff across.

Am I best off just doing a fresh install of everything (I own all my software legitimately so the only issue is time) or can I use a time machine backup from my current computer to set it up more quickly (and hopefully without sitting there all day to change DVDs)? I don't use iLok and the only key I have is a Vienna Key for VSL. Installing everything fresh would be ok, it will just take a long time. I'd get an iLok if it would be my best option, but I have no need for one other than this migration.

I asked in the apple store and the salesman seemed to think it'd be ok but he didn't really re-assure me as he had no experience of someone setting up a recording computer from a time machine backup.

I did this recently with carbon copy cloner and it worked perfectly.
Cloned my old mac to an external drive then started the new mac and used migration assistant to import the clone.

You can use migration assistant, and restore all your user accounts/apps/everything from your time machine backup. I do fresh formats yearly and restore from TM