Problems setting up a second monitor

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
So I wanna be Jonny-two-screens, but am having a tough time.

My video card has one VGA and one DVI input. Both my monitors are VGA, so I bought a VGA-to-DVI adaptor to plug in the second one.

The computer recognises it, and brings the second monitor up in all manor of selection lists, but there is no signal.

Any ideas?

Im guessing you mean DVI-to-VGA :) I would first check that your card actually handles dual displays and is not just 2 ports only allowing one output.

I had a similar problem a while ago and found that the second output would only work if the monitor was plugged in before I switched the pc on, if I just plugged it in whilst the pc was on I wouldn't get any signal.

Good luck!

No, I mean VGA to DVI. The input on the card for the second monitor is DVI, but the lead from the monitor is VGA.
Anyway, yeah it's definitely set up for dual screen, as it states it in the nVIDIA control panel. I tried all manor of configs of plugging in before booting etc, still no joy!

Have you set up the second screen in Windows? I don't have a windows PC anymore, but I remember having to click on the desktop, going to the graphics bit and enabling the second display/selecting the resolution etc.

Thats weird, as you output from a graphics card I would expect it to be DVI(M)-to-VGA(F)???

Anyway my next guess is that you perhaps have a DVI-D-to-VGA converter which doesn't carry the required analog signal, make sure you have a DVI-A-to-VGA converter.

Have you got the latest drivers? Either way try a driver update. Although it may be sync'd it's worth having a fiddle in Windows - I work with a lot of computers with nvidia graphics cards that are 'synced' but then you fiddle in Windows and it works, just worth a try... i'm guessing you probs tried this already though.

EDIT: Also can your second monitor handle the resolution? Try decreasing the resolution using windows/nvidia cpanel. Another common fault amongst monitors is excess stored electricity as that's what monitors do store electricity. Try unplugging the kettle lead hitting the power button repeatedly for 30 seconds to discharge any excess and plug in again.

I don't know what the problem is, but i feel you'd be in a better position to solve it if you recognise that your video card has outputs which go to the inputs on the monitor.