Setting up split screen

nialldoran

Jun 11, 2010
Belfast, N.Ireland
Hey i just bought me my first macbook pro that has a dvi port in it and i was wondering if i could use it as a second monitor when mixing, my computer (PC win7 OS) has a div port round back too they are both female havent got a a dvi cable around though guna buy one tomorow if i think this will work,

anything that i should be thinking about or taking into consideration ,will it even work? ive never split screens before between any machines so im new to it and just wondering, any help?

thanks,
Niall

You should be able to either extend or mirror your screen to the second monitor. In your case, you would want to extend it onto the secondary monitor. I don't have a Macbook but I have a second monitor that I keep my mixer and effects windows open and my main work area on the main monitor. Helps a lot.

You hook up the monitor and it will extend your screen and you can just drag shit onto the screen, it really couldn't be any easier

edit: I just re-read closer and you are trying to use the MBP as the second monitor and I don't think that will work, that DVI port is for adding a 2nd monitor to your MBP

Of course you can. Just set up your System Preferences so your external monitor is your MAIN monitor (ie it shows your dock and the thingy at top of the screen.) Then just drag stuff onto either screen. So you'd go to your DAW and under "windows" or whatever and select "Mixer" and drag that screen to your MBP while your arrange window and other stuff is still on your external monitor. UBER easy. If you are looking to get a monitor, just get a HD LCD or LED TV. They are much much cheaper than computer monitors (I got a 32" 720p LCD for $200 at Best Buy with 2ms response time). Just make sure it has HDMI. Once you disconnect your monitor all the screens will go back to your MBP, and when you connect it again, the screens will go to your external monitor exactly how they were when you unhooked it usually.

Also. To hook it up, all you need is an HDMI cable with dual ends, and the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter.

*Edit* I've never tried with a windows machine. Is the thing you are hooking it up to just a screen, or is it an all-in-one computer? I don't know if it will work with an all-in-one computer.