Question to all FireWire interface users (the FINAL question! *drama*)

I tracked drums last week realtime monitoring on my MacBook Pro with RME Fireface 800 at 32 samples/buffer the whole time, with live FX processing in Cubase 5 with no problems whatsoever. It was awesome.

Yea, that's exactly what I've been thinking too but... since I have never used a FireWire interface before, you might understand I'm scared shitless of throwing out 1200€ on this upgrade :)

Just make sure that your motherboard's 1394 chipset controller is not a Ricoh. This chipset is a little picky when it comes to audio with firewire interfaces and can cause stability issues when tracking.

I personnally changed for a VIA based controller and it's day and night.
On ricoh I was not able to go under 16ms without having audio drop outs
on the via based i can lower it at 4ms stable.

I tracked drums last week realtime monitoring on my MacBook Pro with RME Fireface 800 at 32 samples/buffer the whole time, with live FX processing in Cubase 5 with no problems whatsoever. It was awesome.

Damn...I guess that's a testament not only to the power of your computer but also the efficiency of the drivers!

All I know is that it's older than USB

you sure about that?

i remember USB being in PCs around 97-98...had never heard of FW at the time

not to mention the newer FW protocols will be coming out in the next year or 2, and will blow the current shit away. death to USB!

Firewire > USB. Period. Even Firewire 400 slays USB 2.0 and 3.0 in terms of being usable for audio/video applications. USB will always suck for that, it wasn't designed for it.

Hell, my USB 2.0 interface on my Line 6 POD gives me awesome low latency, shouldn't be problems with Firewire at all.

Firewire > USB. Period. Even Firewire 400 slays USB 2.0 and 3.0 in terms of being usable for audio/video applications. USB will always suck for that, it wasn't designed for it.

Is USB 3.0 even available to the general public yet? *confused*

Strange!!!:zombie:

I'm on 64 samples = 1,6 ms.
(Asus P6T, MOTU896HD firewire, i7-920, Sonar 8, XP32)

When I plug in a guitar and (not direct monitoring) play with any ampsim I hear no latency. Tight as a ....... uhh..... latencyless sound. But when I then play the song or files along in Sonar I hear loads of latency. Recording guitar with any ampsim along with drums or whatever is really impossible cause of the latency.

Someone got an solution for this?:erk:

Damn...I guess that's a testament not only to the power of your computer but also the efficiency of the drivers!

RME is the shit when it comes to drivers. They were the first to offer 32 samples latency on firewire, and the first to make it work stable. Having used their PCI Hammerfall Interfaces for a long time before firewire interfaces even were available, IMHO their driver support is legendary. Back in the day, I had an M-Audio 1010 PCI, and when I got the RME Hammerfall I could set the latency two settings lower without getting dropouts then with the M-Audio. In the same computer, that is. Don't know how this translates to today's firewire interfaces (never used an M-Audio one), but the RME guys surely know their stuff.

Ok, that sounds pretty damn convincing that FireWire is fast enough. However.. RME Fireface 800, does that indicate that the Fireface operates at 800mbit? I think the Profire operates in 400mbit only... not sure if the bandwidth affects the latency though, but I'm guessing it might.

Just make sure that your motherboard's 1394 chipset controller is not a Ricoh. This chipset is a little picky when it comes to audio with firewire interfaces and can cause stability issues when tracking.

I personnally changed for a VIA based controller and it's day and night.
On ricoh I was not able to go under 16ms without having audio drop outs
on the via based i can lower it at 4ms stable.

Yea, the new comp will have a Gigabyte mobo with T.I chipset... heard those should work well.

you sure about that?

i remember USB being in PCs around 97-98...had never heard of FW at the time

not to mention the newer FW protocols will be coming out in the next year or 2, and will blow the current shit away. death to USB!

Yea I think I read on wiki that FW was available before USB. Anyway, it definately started development earlier than USB, of that I'm sure atleast.

RME is the shit when it comes to drivers. They were the first to offer 32 samples latency on firewire, and the first to make it work stable. Having used their PCI Hammerfall Interfaces for a long time before firewire interfaces even were available, IMHO their driver support is legendary. Back in the day, I had an M-Audio 1010 PCI, and when I got the RME Hammerfall I could set the latency two settings lower without getting dropouts then with the M-Audio. In the same computer, that is. Don't know how this translates to today's firewire interfaces (never used an M-Audio one), but the RME guys surely know their stuff.

Oh, sounds like the RME dudes make killer drivers. The Fireface 800 costs twice as much as the Profire 2626, but I wonder how the drivers for the Profire holds up to the task. The ones for my Delta1010LT seem solid since I've never experienced anything weird with them.. hope M-Audio hasn't fucked their drivers up since then :)

The Fireface 800 supports both FW 400 and 800. The only reason to use a Firewire 800 cable is if you want to hook up 2 Firefaces. For using 1 Fireface, a single Firewire 400 cable is all you need and there is no difference in performance.

The Fireface 800 supports both FW 400 and 800. The only reason to use a Firewire 800 cable is if you want to hook up 2 Firefaces. For using 1 Fireface, a single Firewire 400 cable is all you need and there is no difference in performance.

A big thumbs up Kazrog.

Guess I feel confident enough to order in a week or so... cheers guys. But please do add more to this thread if you have more to say people, ESPECIALLY about M-Audio's drivers and any experiences with those and or stuff regarding the Profire 2626. The 27 page thread on Gearslutz was a lot but I can always read more so bring it on!

It does? You're able to get the latency low enough to monitor in real-time with FX inserts on the track? (namely ampsims)

No, but I can monitor in real time with my POD and the sims in it, and then basically insert amp sims lately, effectively reamping it, so to me at least it doesn't matter if I can or cannot monitor with non Line 6 amp sims.
But anyway, call me weird but I preferred the sound of the POD just going through the USB 2.0 connection directly, because I've started tweaking that anyway and if I started using 8505+impulses I'd have to learn from scratch how to tweak them to sound good. After you spend enough time with it, at least in my case, I kinda began to really like how it sounded digital and not like tube amps. Good, but just different to real tubes.
Of course, if you're gonna want to monitor with amp sims, Firewire is best, but so far I can get 2.67ms of latency with my POD recording directly onto my computer.

No, but I can monitor in real time with my POD and the sims in it, and then basically insert amp sims lately, effectively reamping it, so to me at least it doesn't matter if I can or cannot monitor with non Line 6 amp sims.
But anyway, call me weird but I preferred the sound of the POD just going through the USB 2.0 connection directly, because I've started tweaking that anyway and if I started using 8505+impulses I'd have to learn from scratch how to tweak them to sound good. After you spend enough time with it, at least in my case, I kinda began to really like how it sounded digital and not like tube amps. Good, but just different to real tubes.
Of course, if you're gonna want to monitor with amp sims, Firewire is best, but so far I can get 2.67ms of latency with my POD recording directly onto my computer.

Yeah but since I don't have a POD or something like that, I rely on amp sims for monitoring while tracking guitars. I can always send the DI files later to someone for a real reamping, or I can simply tweak my balls off and try to use amp sims for the final product but that's not the point. The point is just to have an interface with the option of monitoring with really low latency through the computer with any realtime plugins thrown at it. As I said, it currently works gold with my Delta1010LT card so I just want to be sure it'll work as good with the Profire 2626.

But as you say though... 2.67ms of latency with USB 2.0 is actually not bad but I'm guessing it uses a lot of the computer's resources when running at that speed? Have you tried monitoring with amp sims... does it crackle when you do that?

Yeah but since I don't have a POD or something like that, I rely on amp sims for monitoring while tracking guitars. I can always send the DI files later to someone for a real reamping, or I can simply tweak my balls off and try to use amp sims for the final product but that's not the point. The point is just to have an interface with the option of monitoring with really low latency through the computer with any realtime plugins thrown at it. As I said, it currently works gold with my Delta1010LT card so I just want to be sure it'll work as good with the Profire 2626.

But as you say though... 2.67ms of latency with USB 2.0 is actually not bad but I'm guessing it uses a lot of the computer's resources when running at that speed? Have you tried monitoring with amp sims... does it crackle when you do that?

Have you considered getting a Microcube or other tiny little amp and passing the signal through that in parallel with the interface?

Yo buddy,

I was just planning on getting a Sapphire Radeon HD 4350 256MB DDR2. It shouldn't matter much as long as it can handle some basic 3D right? Audio apps and VSTs don't require any super graphics as far as I'm aware :) Why'd you wonder?

Ah, a common misconception mate. The card you are getting will indeed be fine. But if you go for something really basic (and even integrated) it forces the cpu to do more and you'll be enjoying some snap crackle and pop with your mixing sessions.

Yeah, there are some USB 2.0 interfaces that can do it, though anything Line 6 is not among those ranks IME (as Petrovsk himself admitted, though it's not really an issue). But that's only for one or two tracks simultaneously; the bottlenecks would definitely creep up with a few more I'd imagine. And if you can afford a firewire interface, why would you even consider USB 2.0? ;)