Applications of parallel compression

Jan 7, 2009
Hey I am relatively new to this technique and I was curious which applications of this technique you guys have found most utility in. Do you like to use it on the entire master bus or just the drums, etc.

I hold your opinion in high regard considering your username contains "Ihsahn" in it. Ihsahn is the most creative writer in black metal.

Vocals? really? I'll have to give it a go on them.

Do you use an uncompressed signal along with the par compr'd track with drums? I tend to compress as normal, then bus the entire drums to par compression, otherwise I don't get the attack through.

It's where you send certain audio tracks out of an aux send into a compressor. this lets you blend the uncompressed signal with the compressed one.

..and I might add it differs from "insert" compression in the fact that blending the "totally uncompressed" and "compressed" signal usually works well when the 2 signals are very different from each other (to avoid phase issues). This usually translates into the compressed signal being OVERKILLED :)

100% natural and 100% compressed makes it more effective for blending..no "crosstalk" .. (wow lack of a better term!)

..ah one other thing: some people call it "NY compression" (as in New York). It's the same thing :)

Vocals? really? I'll have to give it a go on them.

Do you use an uncompressed signal along with the par compr'd track with drums? I tend to compress as normal, then bus the entire drums to par compression, otherwise I don't get the attack through.

Basically I just do the same as you would a kick or snare or whatever, have another bus crushing the vocal fairly hard which I mix low under the main vocal. Really helps bring the vocal out and/or volume if you need it.

parallel compression on vocals was a Motown thing.

In New York they started doing it on drums. aka New York Compression
SSL Quad (4000 E/G) bus consoles allowed you to use the master bus compressor for the rear 2 channels and patch it back into the main. aka Back Bus Compression
Some guys just do it on cymbals to get a consistent Hi freq shimmer.
I do it on drums and bass, aka CRUSH BUS , I keep the cymbals out mostly.