Tutorial Request: Parallel Compression

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
I'd really like to see what you guys would have to say about the uses of parallel compression and the best plugins for handling it, especially on drums!

I'm sure i'm not the only one

i'd say you could use any plugin compressor really. a dry/wet mix knob is always a plus but you can always put 2 instances of the same compressor in parallel (how thats done depends on your choice of DAW) and give one compressor a 1:1 ratio so it doesn't affect the signal and then mix the outputs of the 2 to taste. (edit: this way you avoid phasing issues)
if you want a tutorial then go googling, it should be really easy to find info since this is a common technique in many music styles.
oh, I kinda like Bootsie's Density (free) and i tend to compress really hard when i do parallel stuff
edit: and one more thing, the main reason people use parallel comp is because they want to leave the transients "untouched". if you want louder yet still dynamic, go parallel!
also, this tutorial might be helpful: http://www.hometracked.com/2007/03/31/parallel-compression-for-fatter-drum-tones/

Useful links, AHJ you'd do a great tutorial man.

Joey do you mean apply the comp on the full drum bass channel then comp?

It is important to make sure you don't fuck up phase. Personally, I use two auxs with the same input (all my drums go to both, at the same level), with the same plugins. I bypass whichever ones I'm not using but I make sure the main one matches the parallel one to make sure the latency is the same, otherwise you can get comb filtering. At least in PT LE.