ARC - Burn The Sun

RediscoveryoftheAccolade

New Metal Member
Jan 26, 2004
Curious if anyone else out there has this CD and what do they think about it? I purchased it a few weeks backs after hearing it for the first time in my friends car on the way up to the Helloween show at the Palladium in Worcester MA (Great show BTW). I've been listening to it non-stop, and I think it's an awesome album (I especially love the perfectly placed "spinning coin" soundfile! I thought that was clever) Too bad they aren't together anymore. Also, maybe somebody can confirm this for me but I was talking to a few people at the Helloween show and they told me Russell Allen was asked to join this band. Can anyone confirm this for me, and was this before or after this album?

Peace

RediscoveryoftheAccolade said:
Too bad they aren't together anymore. Also, maybe somebody can confirm this for me but I was talking to a few people at the Helloween show and they told me Russell Allen was asked to join this band. Can anyone confirm this for me, and was this before or after this album?
They are still together and working on new material, although the new singer has yet to be announced...

It's not bad..didn't stand the test of time with me, tho; I listened to it a few times when I got it, & it's been on the shelf ever since.

I love this album. I like everything about it, but most of all Jorn
Lande's singing. I especially like this album because it experiments with
the limits of hard-rock/metal. Parts of it are jazz-rock influenced and
in "Absolute Zero" Jorn uses a Bjork like melody line.

It's different. but if you are into music like that this is a GREAT album.

One or two good songs but I found it mostly uninspiring, very hard rock orientated with little keyboard interplay and some very dodgy lyrics, it's been done and although technically the music is top notch the creativity falls a little short. I can see it's appeal it's just not for everyone.

It is ARK...and this is a great album...very original matierial. Jorn Lande (now in Masterplan) is a fantastic vocalist. I wish he had not left the band. Evidently Tore must be hard to work with...he's had Khan(Conception) and Jorn and they both hit the road. I wish Jorn had stayed in ARK, I think another release with that lineup would have been excellent. Great album...should be checked out!

"ARK - Burn the Sun" is one of my all-time favorites. "Heal the Waters", the tune with the spinning coin, is a real gem on this CD.

And yeah, Lande is doing a pretty good Bjork on "Absolute Zero"

I like his solo CD, "WorldChanger" as well, except for when the lyrics get too preachy.

Rediscovery wrote:
Also, maybe somebody can confirm this for me but I was talking to a few people at the Helloween show and they told me Russell Allen was asked to join this band. Can anyone confirm this for me, and was this before or after this album?

Russell Allen was going to be the original singer in Masterplan......the band that Jorn sings for now.

I loved 'Burn The Sun' by the way.......Jorn's voice made that album.....i hope they can continue the magic with someone else singing.

I thought that it was funny that on Yngwie's album 'Attack' there is a song called 'Ship of Fools'....about the 4/5 of his band that ditched him (that were Ark).

Burn the Sun is brilliant IMHO. Although it loses a bit of brilliance in the 2nd half of the album, it still is one of my favorite prog albums. What I find most enjoyable is the absence of unnecessary soloing, every solo benefits the song, not the guitarist ;)

Favorite songs:
Heal the Waters (the spinning coin is very well placed)
Burn the Sun
Absolute Zero
Just a little

I recommend trying out their first album as well. It's not that sophisticated, but once you get into it, it's almost as enjoyable as Burn the Sun.

"Burn the Sun" is probably in my Top 5 favorite albums ever... I listen to it constantly. It is really a brilliant album that fuses many musical styles. It's a bold and daring release. Jorn Lande really is the real deal. What a vocalist! Johnny Mac's drumming is incredible too. Great, memorable songs.

I'm surprised at the diversity of answers on this thread...

Personally, I think that this is one of the finest Prog-Metal recordings EVER MADE! I just pulled out the other day myself, and I honestly can't believe anyone could say it doesn't stand the test of time! I undestand how it may not appeal to everyone, but everyone I know who likes it ABSOLUTELY LOVES it!

Some corrections and opinions. As others have pointed out. It's spelled "Ark." Russell was not asked to join Ark. He was asked to join Masterplan. It was going to be a one-off project, but then the band decided it wanted to be a full time thing, so Russ backed out...due to this...umm, OTHER band he's in. ;) Then Jorn was chosen as a replacement. Aparently he was cool with the full time thing...but that WASN't cool with Ark.

Finally, I think it's way off to say that Tore is hard to work with. That's just a guess, cause obviously I've never worked with him, but I have met him. I found him to be a really sweet person. Almost like a little kid. And he was very kind in talking to me and a lot of other people. He's also stated many times that Conception parted on good terms and they still may reunite.

I've also heard from other sources that it's probably Jorn who's hard to work with.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts. Long Live ARK! I'm glad to see this thread here.

Oh, one more thing. I had already heard the first album before Burn the Sun came out, but it wasn't until AFTER that I realized how good the first one is TOO!

Paul Adrian
http://www.wooden-badger.com

Gildamere said:
I recommend trying out their first album as well. It's not that sophisticated, but once you get into it, it's almost as enjoyable as Burn the Sun.
My roommate owns the first album, and i'm going to borrow it from him soon. However, he has played "Hunchback of Notre Dame" several times and that song is incredible! If the rest of the debut is anything like that song, i will definately be buying it.