2008 Tour

Always ready......Jeeze......they aren't even done touring yet for PL!!!???

Oh, I can top that. When the guys were still in Europe with DT, I got an e-mail asking when they were going to come back to..yep..Europe. *headshake*

Nothing the fans say/ask/do surprises me anymore, I tell ya.

No, because none of us are in the band. Just an observation.

I'm sure they will change a few, but they generally like to stick to their "regulars".

I'm expecting 1-2 different songs, but seriously, I hate the fact that in the 4 Headlining sets I've seen them play, the setlists have been nearly identical, with the addition of material from the latest album. I'd love to hear half a set of tunes they haven't played 10,000 times before. Wishful thinking I s'pose.

I'm expecting 1-2 different songs, but seriously, I hate the fact that in the 4 Headlining sets I've seen them play, the setlists have been nearly identical, with the addition of material from the latest album. I'd love to hear half a set of tunes they haven't played 10,000 times before. Wishful thinking I s'pose.

Agreed 100%. It's kinda brokeback that bands do this (Kreator is notorious for this), especially when they have such a vast repitoire to choose from. Hell, I'd love to see symx throw a cover in there... i don't care about the nerdy fanbois going "but what about teh s0l0z?". If they kicked off a set with Stand Up and Shout, i would cum on the spot.

edit: and i wasn't trying to be a dick on the post up there ^^^ I forgot my emoticon to indicate that i was saying the comment in jest. :lol:

This is where the guys have to find the happy medium between what they want to play, and what the fans want to hear; they're not always the same. It's harder than you think, especially with over a decade of material to choose from, & there's always going to be someone who complains, no matter what the setlist..

They should each pick a song that *they* want to play and damn anyone else. And Jax, I'm sure you know this but complaints aren't always super negative. People generally realize that they're not going to play their entire discography minus shades of grey, so often times the "i wish they would play this" isn't just outright bitching (though it can be).

If nothing else they should consider doing a tour maybe in '09 like Gamma Ray did with their "skeletons in the closet" tour and just play some less/never heard live tracks. that would give them a great opportunity to let people know that they're not going to be playing Sea of Lies or Smoke and Mirrors. I know it's a tough ballance between old and new fans, but it's not like the new fans are going to notice if certain songs are absent from the setlist... and everyone that sees them not open for DT and only getting half hour will generally just be happy to see one of the best live bands play in front of their eyes.

In general it doesn't matter. I'm going to go see them anyway haha.

People generally realize that they're not going to play their entire discography minus shades of grey

No Shades of Grey?! That would be like Metallica not playing Enter Sandman!

If nothing else they should consider doing a tour maybe in '09 like Gamma Ray did with their "skeletons in the closet" tour and just play some less/never heard live tracks. that would give them a great opportunity to let people know that they're not going to be playing Sea of Lies or Smoke and Mirrors.

I agree, although I have no clue who Gamma Ray is. I'd love to see some obscure stuff like Frontiers, The Relic, or Absence of Light. And I really hope they add Eve of Seduction, Seven, and Revelation to their upcoming US tour.

I agree, although I have no clue who Gamma Ray is. I'd love to see some obscure stuff like Frontiers, The Relic, or Absence of Light. And I really hope they add Eve of Seduction, Seven, and Revelation to their upcoming US tour.

Gamma Ray features Kai Hansen, formerly of Helloween and Iron Savior. It's pretty straight forward power metal with some cheese mixed in, especially on the earlier stuff with Ralf Scheepers(Primal Fear) on vox, although those would be my favorite Gamma Ray albums.:headbang:

Regarding setlist changes: I remember Russell mentioning how they tried out certain songs(older material) but in rehearsal he/they just weren't "feeling" them. I'm wondering if the guys saw the crowd reaction to a few deep cuts if that might bring back the feel in a few of those songs for them. Just a thought.

This is where the guys have to find the happy medium between what they want to play, and what the fans want to hear; they're not always the same. It's harder than you think, especially with over a decade of material to choose from, & there's always going to be someone who complains, no matter what the setlist..

So then, the band wants to play the same core of songs instead of digging up some different tunes, and the fans that go to see Symphony X- many of them being repeat concert go-ers- want to hear the same setlist EVERY time out?

Imagine if Dream Theater played the same Setlist their whole career. Infact, in the 5 times I've seen Dream Theater, I've rarely heard the same song twice. With seeing Symphony X 5 times, I've rarely NOT seen the same song multiple times.

And the fact the band dropped Evolution off the set on the 1st leg of the tour is any indication that maybe there getting tired of playing the same songs themselves? I don't see this as bitching/complaining, as much as I see it constructive criticism, and questioning the logic?

Regarding setlist changes: I remember Russell mentioning how they tried out certain songs(older material) but in rehearsal he/they just weren't "feeling" them. I'm wondering if the guys saw the crowd reaction to a few deep cuts if that might bring back the feel in a few of those songs for them. Just a thought.

I understand where Russ is coming from when he says "the newer albums are [way up here]" (in sales) and "the first two albums are like [way down here]." However, I'm sure we're all sick of Smoke and Mirrors, Sea of Lies, Of Sins and Shadows, and Inferno. I wish they would replace these songs with similar-sounding songs from the same albums; Church of the Machine or The Relic, The Eyes of Medusa, Out of the Ashes, Wicked or King of Terrors, respectively. A little diversity might not hurt.

So then, the band wants to play the same core of songs instead of digging up some different tunes, and the fans that go to see Symphony X- many of them being repeat concert go-ers- want to hear the same setlist EVERY time out?

Go back and read my post again. I didn't say that, I simply said that what they want to play & what fans want to hear aren't always the same thing. This goes for new songs and old songs alike.

Imagine if Dream Theater played the same Setlist their whole career. Infact, in the 5 times I've seen Dream Theater, I've rarely heard the same song twice. With seeing Symphony X 5 times, I've rarely NOT seen the same song multiple times.

*yawn* Not going to comment on this, as the SymX vs DT thing got old eons ago, & I don't much care what DT does anymore or if they tour at all, much less care what they play. There's just so much more that goes into choosing what to play than 'oh the guys on the forum think you should do this', or 'this band does such and such so you should too'.

And the fact the band dropped Evolution off the set on the 1st leg of the tour is any indication that maybe there getting tired of playing the same songs themselves? I don't see this as bitching/complaining, as much as I see it constructive criticism, and questioning the logic?

Not necessarily, it may have been a time constraint thing more than anything else; I haven't asked, so I don't know the reasoning behind it. And I never said that anyone here in particular was bitching/complaining, I was just stating one of the basic facts of the music business..you can never make everyone happy, someone is ALWAYS going to piss and moan about something.

That said, I agree that the guys need to change things up & have done what I can over the years to get the fans' feedback to them as far as letting them know what ya'll want to hear..maybe it's time for another setlist poll, I don't know. I'll ask MJR if he'd be game for it..he actually did take it into consideration the last time we did one, so it couldn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the answer jax. Most of us aren't trying to be bitchy... but it's understandable. Seems like Romeo won't settle for less than perfection which severely limits them on just busting out new songs.

don't take that wrong either. i'd rather see a flawless rendition of Sea of Lies over a shoddy, sloppy version of Edge of Forever. The boys are doing fucking phenominal, but a change wouldn't be unwelcome.

I can over the years to get the fans' feedback to them as far as letting them know what ya'll want to hear..maybe it's time for another setlist poll, I don't know. I'll ask MJR if he'd be game for it..he actually did take it into consideration the last time we did one, so it couldn't hurt to try.

:kickass:

Great idea. I eagerly await this.