"ARCH ENEMY welcomes Jeff Loomis as their new guitarist"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ar...volved-in-songwriting-process-for-next-album/

On whether ARCH ENEMY's new guitarist Jeff Loomis (ex-NEVERMORE) will be involved in the writing process for the next album:

"He's not in any other band at the moment, I believe. So, I mean, ARCH ENEMY is a pretty full-on thing, and it's a big commitment, time-wise, to get into. But he really loves the touring. And, you know, we've talked about writing a bit, and we will write a bit. We have done a little bit, and we're gonna do a little bit more as well, of course. We're taking it step by step. But, obviously, I'd love to have him involved in the next record. There's also Daniel that writes with me. He writes great music as well. We all kind of collaborate on music, but I've always written the lion's share of the music for the band. But, you know, I always say it's not an ARCH ENEMY song until everybody has put their touch to it; that's what makes the sound of the band. I could take my songs and play them with a totally different cast of musicians and they'd probably sound way different. So I'm very fortunate to [be able to play] with these guys. We're very much a band."

I've tried to give that band some listen throughs, but they are about as stimulating as eating a bucket of lard with a spoon. Prolly doesn't help much I loathe that style of vocals.

Jeff loves the touring part.

Aka solo albums and conquering dystopia have bored him to death, stunted any progression and needs a paycheck, so brainless touring playing music that is not his will be a healthy break.

Is JL really just mailing it in at this point? He could have been a solid contributor to Sanctuary & further wrote for Nevermore.

He will be writing a new Nevermore record sooner than we think.

Problem is, HE will be writing it. Of the last three or four Nevermore albums, only two were good, due to Jeff being the primary songwriter. He wants money. He wants to be on Guitar World Magazine. He doesn't want to write another Dreaming Neon Black. He can't. How do I know this? Look at the Obsidian Conspiracy. No time went into that. No emotion went into that. I doubt there was even much communation between he and Warrel at the time. Everything felt so copy/paste.

I will never be a fraction of the guitarist he is, nor am I claiming any of my songs are better than his. But, there's a reason I'm looking forward to the Warrel Dane solo album more than Nevermore. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again, songwriting versus musicianship.

POE had sick technical riffs, but it also had deranged desperate emotional vocals that gave power to those thrashy songs.

To me, Praises To The War Machine is proof Warrel still has it. If we get another album like The Obsidian Conspiracy, it's time for Nevermore to retire. Hell, even the new Sanctuary sounded like a half ass Nevermore album. Don't know who to blame for that.

Problem is, HE will be writing it. Of the last three or four Nevermore albums, only two were good, due to Jeff being the primary songwriter. He wants money. He wants to be on Guitar World Magazine. He doesn't want to write another Dreaming Neon Black. He can't. How do I know this? Look at the Obsidian Conspiracy. No time went into that. No emotion went into that. I doubt there was even much communation between he and Warrel at the time. Everything felt so copy/paste.

I will never be a fraction of the guitarist he is, nor am I claiming any of my songs are better than his. But, there's a reason I'm looking forward to the Warrel Dane solo album more than Nevermore. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again, songwriting versus musicianship.

POE had sick technical riffs, but it also had deranged desperate emotional vocals that gave power to those thrashy songs.

To me, Praises To The War Machine is proof Warrel still has it. If we get another album like The Obsidian Conspiracy, it's time for Nevermore to retire. Hell, even the new Sanctuary sounded like a half ass Nevermore album. Don't know who to blame for that.

How do you know all this about TOC? And did it ever occur to you that the problem was the producer, Peter Wichers? The man may have made one of my favorite albums but he fell on his face with TOC. Jeff said in multiple interviews he came in with 7 minute songs and Wichers cut them down to 3-4 minutes.

As much as I don't want the band to work with Sneap any more, Wichers was also problematic. Maybe the guy who did the Sanctuary album can produce a final Nevermore record.

I like dreaming neon black, but the obsidian conspiracy and this godless endeavor are also great, they don't seem emotionless for me.
Maybe they're different from Nevermore's previous albums, but that doesn't mean they're bad or something.
The production of TOC isn't really bad, the drums are well-produced I think.

I like dreaming neon black, but the obsidian conspiracy and this godless endeavor are also great, they don't seem emotionless for me.
Maybe they're different from Nevermore's previous albums, but that doesn't mean they're bad or something.
The production of TOC isn't really bad, the drums are well-produced I think.

TOC has the least memorable songs of their entire discography. There are literally two or three songs on the entire album that I could say were as good as anything else from the rest of their collection.

You can blame it on Jeff, or you can blame it on Wichers. Did everyone just forget about what Warrel was saying during the songwriting process? That Jeff was giving him much more room for vocals than before. Was this because Jeff was "not into it" or because he was easing up on the reigns? Whatever the reason, it hurt the album overall. If the Wichers editing comments are true, then that hurt the album even more on top of everything else.

Problem is, HE will be writing it. Of the last three or four Nevermore albums, only two were good, due to Jeff being the primary songwriter.

Considering he's always been the primary songwriter, this doesn't make much sense. Of the last four albums though I'd agree that only two were very good. And they aren't ToC or EoR. Although I'd still rather listen to those than a lot of the other shit that's out there. They just aren't that special for Nevermore albums.

You can blame it on Jeff, or you can blame it on Wichers. Did everyone just forget about what Warrel was saying during the songwriting process? That Jeff was giving him much more room for vocals than before. Was this because Jeff was "not into it" or because he was easing up on the reigns? Whatever the reason, it hurt the album overall. If the Wichers editing comments are true, then that hurt the album even more on top of everything else.

Here you go:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nevermore-guitarist-talks-about-making-of-the-obsidian-conspiracy/

Jeff: Previously, we would enter the studio and I would have these 7-8-minute-long songs, and Andy Sneap would say "OK, let's record it and see what happens." With this record, I had the 7-8-minute pieces again, but Peter Wichers would look at them and say, "Let's chop these up a bit. Let's make this a more structured piece of music." So he was very involved in helping me with the arrangements of a lot of these songs. It was more like cutting out the fat, and making the songs more catchier and hookier. So I had a lot to do with it, but Peter also had a major part in the songwriting as well.

Here you go:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/nevermore-guitarist-talks-about-making-of-the-obsidian-conspiracy/

Jeff: Previously, we would enter the studio and I would have these 7-8-minute-long songs, and Andy Sneap would say "OK, let's record it and see what happens." With this record, I had the 7-8-minute pieces again, but Peter Wichers would look at them and say, "Let's chop these up a bit. Let's make this a more structured piece of music." So he was very involved in helping me with the arrangements of a lot of these songs. It was more like cutting out the fat, and making the songs more catchier and hookier. So I had a lot to do with it, but Peter also had a major part in the songwriting as well.

Well, this doesn't actually read like Jeff was somehow against it at all. So it seems a bit disingenuous to try to burn Wichers for the album. The comment about Jeff allowing Warrel more breathing room was also said. So in the end, Jeff seemed to have still been the largest influence overall in how it turned out.

Wichers did chop up the album. Sounds like it was structured exactly like WD's solo album. Nothing JL had done to that point sounded like TOC. I'd say Wichers easily had the largest role in TOC, which shouldn't have been the case. Worked well with the solo album but not so much with Nevermore.

I still enjoy the shit out of TOC but it definitely fails to keep my interest like previous albums, all sounds the same after a while. I have to put this one away for periods of time. I have the rest of the catalog spread out between my 2 cars and work truck.

Should have stuck with Sneap or Kernon for TOC. Maybe they weren't available? Or perhaps WD's awesome solo record had a huge influence on using him.

If he wanted money, he would have tried Megadeth instead of Arch Enemy :Smug:

Maybe he didn't want to deal with Mustaine and possibly being involved in a new album where he has no freedom. Like I said, maybe he just wanted the touring money from a semi-big act. I'm sure AE pays a bit more than Nevermore did because they are a little bit more mainstream...which is bullshit, but whatever.

And I'd be willing to bet Mustaine does not offer much to touring guys.