Arch/Matheos - Guardian live

THE ONLY THING that saves the A/M from being the boring piece of crap it was destined to be is John Arch. That record, musically, is like the three Fates albums before, boring pieces of crap. hahaha. Arch actually put life into it for us older fans.

Ray was never the true downfall of FW, but Jim writing progressive nu-metal. There is said it. Just boring riff after boring riff after boring riff after boring riff, ad naseum.

wait, so you are saying A Pleasant Shade of Grey and Disconnected are boring pieces of crap? You sir, are crazy.

And wtf is progressive nu-metal? please explain, because I'm not hearing what you are. :confused:

I was sad when Arch left Fates, but then I was happily surprised with the thrashier direction of No Exit..only to be letdown by Perfect Symmetry..which I eventually learned to like and appreciate.

Perfect Symmetry is my favourite Fates album. I don't think there as anything even close to a consensus on what are the best Fates Warning albums, opinions are so varied among us fans

This is how I rate their catalogue:

1. Perfect Symmetry
2. A Pleasant Shade of Gray
3. No Eixt
4. Disconnected
5. Awaken the Guardian
6. The Spectre Within
7. Parallels
8. Inside Out
9. FWX
10. Night on Brocken

The top 8 of those I absolutley love, there is very few bands that have released that many albums that I can personally say I love. FWX is a good album as well, have just recently listened to it again and I think gets unfairly dismissed. But it is clearly a step below the bands previous albums. And Night on Brocken would be the only album of theirs that I would describe as weak. Overall its one hell of a career.

If I had to throw in the Arch/Matheos album into the mix I'd probably throw it in between Parallels and Inside Out on my list

How about the rest of you guys, how do you rate FW's albums?

THE ONLY THING that saves the A/M from being the boring piece of crap it was destined to be is John Arch. That record, musically, is like the three Fates albums before, boring pieces of crap. hahaha. Arch actually put life into it for us older fans.

Ray was never the true downfall of FW, but Jim writing progressive nu-metal. There is said it. Just boring riff after boring riff after boring riff after boring riff, ad naseum.

You are insane. Arch-Matheos was amazing for both the musicianship/compositions and the vocals.

And Images & Words always beats WDADU.

Personally, I prefer Ray over John, simply because FatesFan got me into the band by introducing me to Ray first. No Exit remains one of my favorites in the entire catalog, with A Pleasant Shade of Gray being a close second. That's odd, because those two albums are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum! I guess the the variety is why Fates Warning is and always will be a top tier prog metal band in my opinion.

~Brian~

HOLY S*#@... I think this is the first time we disagree Brian.... John has one of the most unique voices and the way that he used it as an instrument as much as singing lyrics on the first three FW albums was incredible. I like Ray as well but if the first three FW albums had the production quality that the later FW albums did there is not much out there that could touch them... as far as Prog Metal goes....Thats just my opinion... I would take John over Ray any day of the week and twice at PP.
I'll still buy you a beer at PP when I see u :D

This is how I rate their catalogue:

1. Perfect Symmetry
2. A Pleasant Shade of Gray
3. No Eixt
4. Disconnected
5. Awaken the Guardian
6. The Spectre Within
7. Parallels
8. Inside Out
9. FWX
10. Night on Brocken

The top 8 of those I absolutley love, there is very few bands that have released that many albums that I can personally say I love. FWX is a good album as well, have just recently listened to it again and I think gets unfairly dismissed. But it is clearly a step below the bands previous albums. And Night on Brocken would be the only album of theirs that I would describe as weak. Overall its one hell of a career.

If I had to throw in the Arch/Matheos album into the mix I'd probably throw it in between Parallels and Inside Out on my list

How about the rest of you guys, how do you rate FW's albums?

Its very hard to rate them in order of preference since every day my tastes change a little bit...today its Spice Girls, tomorrow Grateful Dead...but
1. No Exit- By far the greatest progressive metal disc of all time!
2. Awaken The Guardian-The reason I fell in love with Fates Warning
3.Perfect Symmetry-What a direction change! Still awesome to this day!
4. APSOG- Heres another that threw me for a loop!
5. Inside Out- So fabulously underrated!
6. Parallels- It was like a watered down version of Symmetry to me
7. FWX- I love this disc! It is another slice of underrated
8. Disconnected- Another one that just is that f'ing good!
9. The Spectre Within- I love this disc
10. Night on Brocken- I have this one 3 different times, with different covers, the worst one in the catalogue, still great!

1 & 2 stand out apart from the others, and when comparing 3-10, they all have a special place in my collection. Fates Warning, best band ever!

My tastes run towards the older stuff, so I'd rank them like this:

1. Awaken the Guardian
2. No Exit (Not a huge Ray fan, but this album is brilliant)
3. The Spectre Within
4. Night on Brocken
5. Perfect Symmetry
6. Inside Out
7. Parallels
8. A Pleasant Shade of Grey
9. Disconnected
10. FWX

I'd probably throw Arch-Matheos somewhere in the top 4-5 as well.

1. APSOG
2. Awaken the Guardian, The Spectre Within, No Exit , Arch-Matheos , Arch - E.P.
3.Perfect Symmetry, Inside Out, Parallels ,Disconnected
4.FWX, Night on Brocken

I love every single one of these albums. There is not a Q2K in the bunch.

I love every single one of these albums. There is not a Q2K in the bunch.

Ditto on FatesFan comment!! I can say I have NEVER been disappointed in any of their albums. They have all been great.

When they played The Ivory Gate of Dreams at ProgPower, I almost cried! That was the high point of the entire festival for me!

As far as my top rated albums..and this was difficult to do, but here goes:
1. Awaken The Guardian
2. No Exit
3. Parallels
4. Perfect Symmetry
5. FWX
6. APSOG
7. The Spectre Within
8. Inside Out
9. Disconnected
10.Night on Brocken

wait, so you are saying A Pleasant Shade of Grey and Disconnected are boring pieces of crap? You sir, are crazy.

And wtf is progressive nu-metal? please explain, because I'm not hearing what you are. :confused:

Disconnected, FWX and that era of FW is boring as hell to me. Just plodding riff after riff like nu-metal. Again, just me, but Guardian is my favorite album by Arch era and Parallels by Alder-era.

You are insane. Arch-Matheos was amazing for both the musicianship/compositions and the vocals.

And Images & Words always beats WDADU.

Not really, A/M was simply the next FW record for Ray but John showed up and put some new life into it all. If not, it would have turned into FWX 2.0.

There is barely any melodic stuff on the album other than the vocals. solos are barely present, etc. musically, i found it a bit on the dull side.

Jaime, sounds like you just don't like higher pitched singers, (which is cool by the way). Although I'm a bit perplexed by your dislike for the vocalist for Circus Maximus as he's known as one of the best technical singers of prog metal around today..Man that guy can really wail sometimes!!

Liking singers that sing in the higher octave range is an acquired taste though....
Now when it comes to John Arch, I put him in the same boat as I would Kate Bush. I happen to absolutely LOVE Kate Bush. People either love her or hate her, their's no in between and that's how it is with Arch it seems....

I'm the same way with James Labrie. I absolutely can't stand his voice! But I know many people love the guy, so it's all good as they say..... :)

I can't stand Kate Bush's voice either. heh. I don't mind some wailing as long as it's limited, but it gets on my nerves *really* fast. And I don't *totally* dislike Circus Maximus or Pagans Mind (what was that track Glenn posted around here a year or two ago? Silence? I actually liked that one), but my tolerance runs out after one song, maybe two. John Arch's voice in particular just sits in a range that makes my eardrums itch.

I'm totally not putting any of them down as singers (Michael did a great job with Kamelot), it's just not my thing.

I like Tommy Karevik - he can hit the notes without overdoing it. Russell Allen, Jorn Lande, Marko Saaresto, Andy Kuntz, Daniel Gildenlöw - that's more up my alley. (yes, Daniel employs screeches and falsettos, but not all the time.)

Also: APSOG is in first place by a looooooong shot, with Parallels and Perfect Symmetry just under that, and that's pretty much all the Fates I need.

Also: APSOG is in first place by a looooooong shot,.

It takes a little over 8 minutes for the light and energy from the sun to reach the earth.
Keep that in mind when you read this because that is how long it will take from the time you read this till the energy from the sun exploding to reach us because we actually agree about something :)

APSoG is one of my top 10 alltime favorite CDs

Disconnected, FWX and that era of FW is boring as hell to me. Just plodding riff after riff like nu-metal. Again, just me, but Guardian is my favorite album by Arch era and Parallels by Alder-era.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Parallels was the first FW I ever heard and it's in my top 5. After reading about them I picked up the first three discs and now Guardian is my #1.

Funny thing is, I always thought the band should have changed the named after the first three discs of the Arch-era. Arch-era FW is apples to Ray-era FW oranges so much they are really different bands all together.

As good as all the songs on Awaken the Guardian are, The Apparition is still the greatest song ever!

TribunalRecords said:
Have you never listened to the Awaken The Guardian album front to back? Arguably one of the best progressive/power metal albums of all time, due in part to Mr. Arch.

Anyone else with me on this? I cannot be alone.

Love it and it is one of my top ten of all time desert island disks -- along with Perfect Symmetry! Lol!