Archiving Data (burning on DVD) on a Mac

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
what programs/tools do you use to archive old projects?

I mean files that are bigger than 4.7 gig...(e.g. 20gig zip.-files)
I need a archiving prog for those, something that automatically splits and burns them on separate dvds and of course let's me rebuild the file later.

need advice

If you have a .mac account you can download the "Backup" app from your idisk. I'm using it now and it works really well and is simple, though I'm backing up to a FW drive. DVD's are pretty good as an alternate backup but have you considered an external FW drive? They have really dropped in price and it will end up being faster and easier. Also, you can automate your backups so it does it for you.

...still waiting for Time Machine that's in Leopard:erk:

Tape drives are used in my company, i have the fun task of revolving them still. I personally backup every friday night onto a 320gb seagate external disc. I use a Microsoft power toy by the name of synchtoy, which makes things very simple indeed- the echo function simply mimics my set folders from where i want to backup straight to the external device which is set on an incremental basis, so a backup takes barely any time at all.

For stuff that doesnt change that you just want to remove on a permanent basis, set up nero to span a shitload of folders over several DVDs/blu-ray discs if you are rich :D

Tape drives are used in my company, i have the fun task of revolving them still. I personally backup every friday night onto a 320gb seagate external disc. I use a Microsoft power toy by the name of synchtoy, which makes things very simple indeed- the echo function simply mimics my set folders from where i want to backup straight to the external device which is set on an incremental basis, so a backup takes barely any time at all.

For stuff that doesnt change that you just want to remove on a permanent basis, set up nero to span a shitload of folders over several DVDs/blu-ray discs if you are rich :D

is not nero for PC?

Toast Titanium 8

It handles compression and multiple disc backups along with a host of other useful shit.

I always keep two backups: external HD & DVD-R.

YMMV