Tutorial (kinda): BEING ORGANIZED

Hey man,

Thanks for posting everything you have so far, great stuff!

I was going to make a thread about this elsewhere, but since you have brought it up....

I'm going to be sending some tracks to be mastered soon and liked the idea of using stems, but thought it might possibly be difficult to print the tracks exactly how they would be in the mix.

Am I right in thinking that you are using Aux's for FX which more then one stem would be using? In this case, are you printing each element by freezing the other tracks and printing the selection of tracks that you want.

Would reverbs, delays or anything like that react differently during this process when you have been mixing for example, with the snare going to one the same reverbs as the keys.

Hey man,

Thanks for posting everything you have so far, great stuff!

I was going to make a thread about this elsewhere, but since you have brought it up....

I'm going to be sending some tracks to be mastered soon and liked the idea of using stems, but thought it might possibly be difficult to print the tracks exactly how they would be in the mix.

Am I right in thinking that you are using Aux's for FX which more then one stem would be using? In this case, are you printing each element by freezing the other tracks and printing the selection of tracks that you want.

Would reverbs, delays or anything like that react differently during this process when you have been mixing for example, with the snare going to one the same reverbs as the keys.

I think I understand what you are saying.....

First off, yes some of my FX returns are being shared by multiple instruments. Yes they will react differently when only certain instruments are passing through them, but in general its very small differences when you print ALL the stems and combine them.

These stems are never intended to be used for any kind of mixes (and god forbid a mastering engineer tries to remix my work), they are more safety's for myself and also in the unlikely situation where a band gets into rockband/guitar hero :lol:

No Raw Stems. Basically when I do a mix for you get the following.

Main Mix
Inst Mix
Acca Mix
TV Mix
Vox up 1.7
Vox dwn 1.7
Drums Mix
Bass Mix
Gtrs Mix
Keys Mix
Extra Mix

All of this is just soloing the tracks on the console and printing them separately. This way if the band wants to trigger the keys live they don't need to call me months later to do it.These mixes/stems are all processed however they were in the mix. That way if you take all the stems and combine them, it should sound 98% like the main mix. The only difference will be the buss compression (if I used any) will obviously not be the same.

I understand now, thanks!

just to clarify, you are not exporting every track individually, but instead giving the whole Drum Bus as a stereo wav, and the entire Guitar Bus as a stereo wav, etc...

basically just the sub-mixes of the instruments,
in addition to the instrumental, vocal up, etc...

My Boss has been running his place for 20 years, he is crazyyyy on organisation!

It really is more important than most people recognise.

Thanks for putting in the time to explain your method. I don't know how you find the time to do all the documentation but great post nonetheless.

This... especially on the take-notes. I can see with drums, vocals, or where takes are longer, but with gtrs and bass it would take 3-4 times as long if I had to write down how often the guys fucked up. :lol:

PArt 3 coming soon...just am swamped right now.

Honestly it doesn't take as long as you think. At most my notes are a sentence or 2. I generally take notes for a specific take right as the next take has started.

All and all I spend maybe 5-10 seconds taking notes for a specific take. Also when I get into "chord cutting" and guitar/bass recording..there is no notes (with the exception of recall notes about setup) because I'm splicing it all together as I go. No need to make notes on good takes.

Yeah alot of people I know used to follow that format, but there are some real issues with it that kind of bug me (and alot of others I know). I won't get into it here, but I feel that unless EVERYONE uses it, it's pointless.

I understand and I agree a little bit about some scary process when you strictly doing this

PART 3: (FINALLY)

Sorry for the delay, but as usual I got swamped with work. Ok, so now you got session file backups, invoices and logs coming out your ass…..what the F*@k do you do with all this stuff? Well here's my way of going about it.

THE DATA TREE OF IMPORTANCE:

The biggest thing for me when it comes to organizing all this stuff is figuring out the order in which it comes up on your drive. This may seem like the dumbest/simplest thing ever but you'd really be surprised how often I get drives that are a total mess. Here's basically how my drives are setup for each artist. Some of this labelling my seem different then the original post, but I didn't want to confuse off the start… so here it is. Also keep in mind these are my personal drives, NOT THE CLIENT DRIVES. Each Number here represents a folder layer/drive title on my drive.

1. DRIVE TITLE- As you may have guessed this is what I label my drive as. Over the course of the last few years I have amassed a few drives so I began a simple labelling scheme. I always label my drives with the date I started working on them and a single number and a single letter. such as this example.

050510 9A

What this title tells me is that the drive was formatted on may 5th 2010. It also tells me that it's the 9th set of backup drives I have and it's the master drive out of the 2 drives. The second backup drive would be labeled "050510 9B". I'll get into the relation of the numbers/dates later as it all ties in at the end.

2. ARTIST NAMES- As soon as you open up the drive, there should be a list of the artists I've work with since the start of the drive.

3. ALBUM NAMES- For each artist there will be a folder with each album I've done with them. Generally it's only one, but it does happen that there is more.

4. SESSIONS/DOCUMENTS- Within the album title, there will be two folders. One for all the session data, and one of for the corresponding documentation. This now gets split into 2 further "DATA TREES".

A: SESSIONS- Real simple. Song Title-Protools Files. All labeled as above, all consolidated, all clean and tidy.

B: DOCUMENTS-Not as simple. Two folders again: "Master Documents" and "Song Documents"

MASTER DOCUMENTS- This is my contract (if there is one), Personal Invoices, Studio Invoices, Rental Invoices….anything that is globally involved with the project as a whole.

SONG DOCUMENTS- Song Title- "Daily Log"/"Take Log"

Once you fill up a set of drives, have a master text doc somewhere on your computer that states the drive name and when it was filled up. Also attach a screenshot of what's on the drive and label it the drive name. Now you have a from "date" to "date" block that you know is on this drive, as well as what bands are on the specific drives. This date to date notation will become very handy.
So now you've got a drive labeled, you got all the sessions laid out, all the documents for each session properly sorted and easy to get at. Now comes the fun part. How do you find this shit 2 years from now, when that shit band you hated makes it big and they need protools files (which they lost the first time)?

TRACKING IT ALL DOWN:

This really isn't that hard. Keep a calendar with a search function (pretty sure all of them can do this). In this calendar mark every session you do 100% of the time. On this calendar write the band name/album name and block out the days/weeks/months you were with that band. When someone says "i need files for band xyz for the album "jackoffs" you did with them.", you can search and find out exactly when you worked with them.

Ok so you've figured out the band was in 8 months ago for 2 weeks. Check your drive list doc (from above). Ok that band was backup up on drive 080109 6A. You grab that drive out of your drawer of drives, load up the files and BAM good to go!

SIDE NOTES:

This should give you an idea how you can keep everything in line and organize. 2 things I'd like to add are 2 great pieces of software.

http://www.retrospect.com/ - amazing software backup system. You can do daily backups, where only what you've changed is updated and most importantly THE DATE MODIFIED doesn't ever change!

http://www.filemaker.com/ - this program is a real bitch to figure out, but when you do your life will be amazing. It'll allow you to make databases where you can search for an artist name, and all your session docs will be available to you instantly within the one program. http://www.studiosuite.net/ is literally just programming filemaker and they charge you hundreds of dollars…..

I might add more in the future, but this is pretty much then end of this tutorial!

Nice. You should always put the date backwards ie the longest period of time first. Year Month Day. Why? Because computers are stupid. If you have 3 folders 050510, 070510, and 060509, computers see them in this order 050510, 060509, 070510 because 06 comes before 07. Your file management utility may automatically sort it in the correct order but it is a sort not how it sees it at low level. If you stick to the largest to smallest convention you will have a better chronological order which will help backups, porting between different os, or if you need to perform any sort of low level file recovery.

Nice. You should always put the date backwards ie the longest period of time first. Year Month Day. Why? Because computers are stupid. If you have 3 folders 050510, 070510, and 060509, computers see them in this order 050510, 060509, 070510 because 06 comes before 07. Your file management utility may automatically sort it in the correct order but it is a sort not how it sees it at low level. If you stick to the largest to smallest convention you will have a better chronological order which will help backups, porting between different os, or if you need to perform any sort of low level file recovery.

very good point. However in this case it doesn't matter cause we're talking about drives being labeled. They'll never all be up to see then in any order. But regardless very good point I hadn't thought of.

i don't mean to take your thread too O/T
But i wish to god that when you're opening a session someone else has tracked, that they'd name the fucking tracks properly.
Guitar's should be like this
G1 - 57 L
G1 - 57 R
etc if using multiple mics, and mono tracks
if not then just
G 1
G 2

Not
Billybobsguitarpart1mesadoubletracked
or even worse "Audio 1"
I can't FUCKING read that scanning up and down the edit/mix window. it get's truncated to a jumbled mess.
if you feel the need to add further details, use the comments box.

And the window should be laid out from left/top to right/bottom
Drums,bass,guitars,leads,keys,vocals
Wasted hours sorting this out.

i don't mean to take your thread too O/T
But i wish to god that when you're opening a session someone else has tracked, that they'd name the fucking tracks properly.
Guitar's should be like this
G1 - 57 L
G1 - 57 R
etc if using multiple mics, and mono tracks
if not then just
G 1
G 2

Not
Billybobsguitarpart1mesadoubletracked
or even worse "Audio 1"
I can't FUCKING read that scanning up and down the edit/mix window. it get's truncated to a jumbled mess.
if you feel the need to add further details, use the comments box.

And the window should be laid out from left/top to right/bottom
Drums,bass,guitars,leads,keys,vocals
Wasted hours sorting this out.

HAHAHAHA. Yeah it's a god damned nightmare. A huge part of my business is mixing other peoples shit (1-2 songs a day)...I don't have time to do this shit so I feel your pain.

yep...
been called in to another studio to get an album back on schedule, and the session is a complete mess.
No labels make any sense.
and after having reamped all the guitars, ive gotta edit gaps in,
edit the bass
edit the toms,
edit the bass,
trigger the drums
and then track the vocals, and see what happens after that.
But at least by the time i've got there the session will be in order.

Hey guys,

Not totally on-topic but not off-topic either as this is about organization.

I'm updating my site infos a bit and thought I'd share this with you. This is the text I want to put up, hoping it will answer most of the questions I got. What do you think of it? Do you find it clear (probably not) or how could I make it any better?

RECORDING

To prepare for the recording, you should meet the following requirements.

Your instruments should be well prepared and in good shape. This means new drumheads, new strings (although there's nothing wrong with having strings set up a day or two before the actual recording, I usually prefer their sound after a few hours of usage anyway), etc.

Bring extra drumheads, sticks, strings, picks, etc. It's always a pain for everyone to stop a session and have to run to a music shop because something is missing.

I can provide headphones for you but if you have one that you particularly like or are used to, bring it on! Especially if you sweat a lot ;-)

You should have done your homework, which means you must know the songs, what your role is (this can be worked out though if I'm producing), and you must be able to PLAY the songs. Today there is a tendency to believe a computer can fix everything and do the work for you. I have to reckon that this is true to some extent, but music (at least the one we're about here: rock & metal) should be played by humans and not quantized, autotuned, fixed... to the point of losing its soul and essence. Hey, even brutal death metal has a heart.

Plus, you will undoubtedly look like an idiot on stage if you can't play what's on your record anyway. So yes, I can help - No, I'd rather not do the job instead of you.

Those are just common sense advices really, but I will not force you to do anything you don't want to. If you want to play on an out of tune guitar with rusted strings, that's your call. Something good might come out of it as well, as there's not just one way to do things, and experiment is the way to be new.

-----------------------------------------

MIXING

So if you're gonna record in another studio or do it yourself and want me to mix, here are a few recommendations:

- All I have said in the "Recording" section on the right applies here.

- Record in 24 bits. 44.100 kHz is just fine, but you can record at higher rates if you really want to. For Cubase users, even if you edited or recorded at a 32 bit resolution, don't send me those 32 bits wave files! Convert them to 24 bits first please.

- Take pictures of the recording and send some to me in a folder, that will help me greatly, especially to know where drum microphones were positioned and stuff like that.

- Record the triggers signals for the drum kicks, snare and all toms. Just put a trigger on it, and plug the XLR out into the mixer / sound-card / whatever device you're gonna be recording with. This will just record the transducer signal (a clicky sound), no drum module is needed for that. This by no mean imply that I'm gonna replace your sound with others, it's just for security: if I HAVE to, I'll be able to do it properly, and either way it's gonna be very helpful to gate the tracks.

- Tune those drums. I mean, really, it's very important. If your drummer doesn't know how to do it, or no one in the studio can help with that, rent a pro to come and do it (can be a local drummer who knows his shit). It's definitely gonna be money well spent (if the guy is good of course).

- Talking about tuning drums, don't rely on me to fix things later. Get it right in the first place. Get the sound at the source. It must sound good to begin with to sound great in the end. There's no magic, computers can't turn shit into gold. Garbage in, garbage out.... Mixing is like applying a very powerful microscope on your recordings, so if there's crackling, popping, rattling, noises... they're gonna be very obvious in the end, so fix it.

- That being said... some of my previous works have more or less consisted in salvaging sessions and the end result was quite acceptable (enough to be internationally distributed), so I guess I didn't usurp my nickname "Magic Brett"!

- Same applies to your performance.

- Do not apply EQ or compression or whatever when recording if you're not 100% sure to know what you're doing, get the sound natural.

- When recording guitars and bass, record a DI signal of them as well as your miked signal. This will be useful in case the miked signal is just not usable or doesn't fit (or if the sound is varying too much between takes, you know how tube amps sound slightly different after a few hours of warming-up, etc.). Anyway, in case I must reamp your sounds, I will need the DI. Reamping is a technique to replace guitar or bass tone without asking the guitar player to re-track his performance. If you're recording in a studio, the guys there will know what to do. If you're doing it yourself, inquire and learn about the subject as this is quite critical.

So if you have already recorded, I do hope you have followed the previous recommendations. So the next steps before sending your songs to mix are the following:

- Clean up your tracks: remove unwanted noises, only keep the right takes and don't include alternate takes as I'll think you want them all to be heard. Delete everything that shouldn't be on the record. Remove all the fades.

- If you used Virtual Instruments, bounce them to audio files.

- Consolidate all your tracks so they all start at zero. You can use wav, aiff or whatever. That way, I'll just have to import them at the same timing and they will all be aligned perfectly. Even if a guitar solo only starts after 3 minutes and there are 3 minutes of silence before it, do it that way.

- Rename those files to a format that makes sense and keep this format constant throughout all your songs. I typically name the files starting with a letter for the instrument (a for drums, b for bass, c for rhythm guitars, d for rhythm guitars DI, e for lead guitars, f for lead guitars DI, g for clean guitars, h for clean guitars DI, g for acoustic, k for keyboards, o for orchestra, v for lead vocals, w for backing vocals and z for miscellaneous stuff). Then following the letter is a number for the track itself (for drums: 1 is kick, 2 is snare top, 3 is snare trig, 4 is snare bottom, 5 are all toms, etc). If you can use my system that would be very cool and very effective, would save me a lot of time that would be precious to get a better sound instead of struggling through your files.
When using left and right mentions, use the drummer's perspective (and let me know if the guy is left-handed):

It probably seems confusing, so here's how a session audio folder usually looks like, will make things much clearer:

a1 Kick In
a1 Kick Out
a1 Kick Trig
a2 Snare Top
a3 Snare Trig
a4 Snare Bottom
a5 Tom 1
a5 Tom 1 Trig
a5 Tom 2
a5 Tom 2 Trig
a5 Tom 3
a5 Tom 3 Trig
a6 Hi-Hats
a6 Ride
a7 Overhead Left
a7 Overhead Right
a8 Room Left
a8 Room Right
…
b1 Bass DI
b2 Bass Mic
c1 Rhythm Gt A1
c1 Rhythm Gt A2
c2 Rhythm Gt B1
c2 Rhythm Gt B2
d1 Rhythm Gt A1 DI
d1 Rhythm Gt A2 DI
d2 Rhythm Gt B1 DI
d2 Rhythm Gt B2 DI
e1 Lead Gt 1
e2 Lead Gt 2
e3 Lead Gt 3
f1 Lead Gt 1 DI
f2 Lead Gt 2 DI
f3 Lead Gt 3 DI
g1 Clean Gt 1
g2 Clean Gt 2
h1 Clean Gt 1 DI
h2 Clean Gt 2 DI
g1 Acoustic Gt 1
g2 Acoustic Gt 2
k1 Pads
k2 Choir Aaahs
k3 Piano
o01 Contrabass
o02 Cellos
o03 Violas
o04 Violins
o05 Bassoon
o06 French Horns
o07 Trumpet
v1 Lead Vocals 1
v2 Lead Vocals 2
w1 Backing Vocals 1
w2 Backing Vocals 2
z1 Ukulele
z2 Bagpipe
z3 Thunder

- I can't stress this enough, but make sure you got all the right files and that none are missing. Test if you got everything right by importing those files in a DAW and checking if everything's aligned and if nothing is missing.

- If recording to a click, export the tempo map of your songs and their time signature changes as MIDI files and include those files with the audio. If there's just one tempo for one song and it's all 4/4 then it's even easier.

- Include your DAW's original project file as I could eventually have to refer to it at some point if anything goes wrong (I can open Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic or Reaper files) .

- Put all those files in one folder, one folder per song.

- If possible, include a "rough mix" of each song so I can refer to it to know what's the main line, the lead instrument, where the emphasis should be. You can of course just leave that to me too but at the risk of my guess being wrong (nothing undoable anyway).

- If your music is pretty complex or contains very complex choir parts, intricate 200 tracks of samples, or heavy orchestral sections, my advice is to premix those and send me stereo stems of those sections. Use Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic or Reaper to mix those parts in a separate folder called "Slave", include the original slave audio files in this folder with your DAW's project (in case I need to modify something in your premix) and only put the stereo stems files in the global audio folder. For instance for orchestral parts, provide me with "woodwinds", "strings", "brass", "percussions".

- And finally if you know what you want sound wise, make a note already in a text file. If you don't know what you want, but know what you don't want, do the same. Or you can leave it all up to me if you're just unsure. There's nothing worse than someone who's telling you what they want without even knowing it. Don't hesitate to include in an extra folder some songs from other bands that you like a lot soundwise and, without wanting to sound like them, would like me to keep in mind during mix. Also, on that note, tell me which song you want me to mix first, one that would be representative of your music, one that would set the color.

- Burn those folders on DVDs or, even better, put them on an external hard drive or a flash memory key: USB2, Firewire 400 or Firewire 800 (preferred). It's gonna be much faster for you, for me, and is not "that" expensive today. Send those by mail (UPS, Fed-Ex or the likes are better cause safer). Keep in mind that I will not send your drives or DVDs back.

- Once I get all the files, I'll work on a first song and will upload it to my private FTP server. It will then be up to you to tell me if you like it or not, what you like or not, and what you want to be changed or improved. Some mixes can take a few trials and errors before getting perfectly right to fit your expectations (especially if you know what you want precisely), so don't hesitate to give me your honest opinion.

- If you want to have your material mastered somewhere else (and in that case only), I will provide the unmastered tracks at no cost, but exported stems will be charged (say if you want separated mixdowns of your drums, bass, guitars, vocals, etc).

-----------------------------------------

MASTERING

I can also master your own mixes or mixes done at another studio. For that, provide me the stereo mixdowns for each track (without any fade-in / fade-out) at the resolution / sample rate they have been recorded. A DVD should be able to contain all those... Include a text file with a note of what you want or not (if any) and eventually include an extra folder with some songs from other bands & albums that you like a lot (I mean, the sound, not necessarily the music) and, without wanting to sound like them, would like me to keep in mind during mastering. Please include those reference files as Wav files and not overcompressed mp3.

I do not charge by the hours I spend on your material (never really seemed fair to me as who can tell if someone is not charging you 5 hours for something that took them 2?) but by the length of your material. I never start with any preset, every mastering work is different. So my rates for eMastering are fixed and as follow (prices in euros):

250€ : if material is less than 30 minutes
300€ : between 30 and 40 minutes
350€ : between 40 and 50 minutes
400€ : between 50 and 60 minutes
450€ : over 60 minutes

Upon approval I will send you 16 bits / 44,100 Hz wav files through my private FTP server.

If you want me to sequence the album and send you a Disc Description Protocol (DDP) file instead, there will be an extra cost of 50€. In this case I will probably need ISRC codes for each song and a UPC/EAN code for the album. If unsure about what that means, please Google those terms.

I can send you physical copies as well (2 sealed copies for the factory and 1 copy for your needs) for an extra 40€ (including shipping).

Of course, any mastering studio can claim to make your mixes shine and take your money. That's why I decided to offer a one song test mastering job (3 minutes long max) for a very small fee (50€), so you can decide if my work is right for you or not. If we work together after this test mastering, half of this fee this will be refunded.

And finally, of course, I could indeed make your stuff sound really loud, but I'd rather honestly try to make it sound really good.