PT - Mixing CD as one session...

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys , I've heard a few others on this board say that they mix CD's as one big session. I started doing this for a CD I am working on but something gay happened to the file and I had to re-import all the consolidated files today. I'm just curious, when you guys mix as one giant session , do you consolidate all the song files ? For instance I have 8 songs here , so would you import all the bass tracks , set all the tempos and make sure they are aligned properly , and then consolidate / print that as one giant ass track? That way if something happens (like what happened to me) you can just import the 15 - 20 or so "consolidated / printed" tracks and you're good to go on all songs? Or do you actually keep all songs as separate regions?

Edit : Just curious , which of these methods would eat more CPU? I would like to think having only 15-20 consolidated tracks would be less CPU intensive , but they are wayyy longer ..so?

Another edit: Anyone have any problems consolidating longer tracks? Sometimes when I do this the file will disappear completely , or certain regions will disappear... sometimes I have to hit undo and actually bounce the track with PT's Bounce function

To be fair I don't think this specific question has been asked.

Personally I consolidate per song, not as one big region for the session. If you're needing to import stuff because of the error then just use import session data. Though it's much easier to just use a session file backup to be honest.

To be fair I don't think this specific question has been asked.

Personally I consolidate per song, not as one big region for the session. If you're needing to import stuff because of the error then just use import session data. Though it's much easier to just use a session file backup to be honest.

Thanks for the (actually helpful) reply! Never used import session data before... how does that work? If you don't mind explaining...

^^^^^
The full features are only on hd, but if you get the DV Toolkit 2 you can add all the import session capabilities to LE

If you have each song set up in individual sessions and have one of the songs primarily mixed and ready to go. You open the session for the next song and go to > import > session data > match tracks. On "what to import"...import everything but playlist and regions.

Thanks for the (actually helpful) reply! Never used import session data before... how does that work? If you don't mind explaining...

Not much to it really, you can select what tracks you want from the session that you're importing and it'll bring them into your current session with all plugins, routing, fader levels, automation etc intact. Works great if you get a mix of one song perfect and want to use it as a template for the rest (you'll have to delete your automation though)