Tutorial (kinda): BEING ORGANIZED

This is golden,

Thanks very much for sharing the wisdom!

Questions:

-Do you export the raw stems in addition to the mixed stems and hand those over to the band?

-you get the band to buy 2 firewire HDs, are you keeping one or does the band take away both (which i presume are identical copies of each other) ?

-do you keep an archive of old sessions, or delete everything as soon as you hand it over to the band?

-at the end of it all, what kind of average size is the HD the band are taking away?

thanks!

1. what do you mean by raw stems?

2. I keep one of the drives during the length of the session and then turn them over at the end, unless they want me to keep them.

3. I keep all sessions for 2 years then delete them. At any given time I have about 2 terrabytes of data.

4. I use to make the bands buy 120 gig drives. Now drives are so cheap they just buy 500 gig drives.

Probably a noobish question but, what are stems?

Stems for me are mix prints that are separate elements. For example I print

Drums
Bass
Rhythm Guitars
Lead Guitars
Guitar Solo
Lead Vocal
BG Vocals
Extras

That way if I have to make minor mix changes AFTER I left the studio I can.

good lord, you're organized as fuck :lol: congrats dude, mostly for being this organized and correct about your stuff.

What is this? Google turns up nothing.
ahjteam had posted it last year, all AES standard for session.
I have all pdf but can't remember proper link

Edit: http://www2.grammy.com/PDFs/Recording_Academy/Producers_And_Engineers/DAWGuidelineLong.pdf

are you referring to the AES standard? I don't know anyone who actually follows that so I made my own.

Yes, I referring about AES standard;)
Personnatly all my sessions are in conformity with AES rule's since highend studio I know in my area work with this. So I haven't many choice:erk:

But you have some great points btw;)

First up, thanks for answering the other questions :kickass:

by Raw Stems I mean the raw, unmixed and unprocessed tracks that were recorded in the first place.

so you are giving them the mixed and processed stems, but do you also include the unmixed and unedited stems too?

No Raw Stems. Basically when I do a mix for you get the following.

Main Mix
Inst Mix
Acca Mix
TV Mix
Vox up 1.7
Vox dwn 1.7
Drums Mix
Bass Mix
Gtrs Mix
Keys Mix
Extra Mix

All of this is just soloing the tracks on the console and printing them separately. This way if the band wants to trigger the keys live they don't need to call me months later to do it.These mixes/stems are all processed however they were in the mix. That way if you take all the stems and combine them, it should sound 98% like the main mix. The only difference will be the buss compression (if I used any) will obviously not be the same.

what firewire drives are you using ?

these are the ones I prefer, but honestly they all work great generally.
Rocstor%20rocpro%20850%20550px.jpg

ahjteam had posted it last year, all AES standard for session.
I have all pdf but can't remember proper link

Edit: http://www2.grammy.com/PDFs/Recording_Academy/Producers_And_Engineers/DAWGuidelineLong.pdf

Yes, I referring about AES standard;)
Personnatly all my sessions are in conformity with AES rule's since highend studio I know in my area work with this. So I haven't many choice:erk:

But you have some great points btw;)

Yeah alot of people I know used to follow that format, but there are some real issues with it that kind of bug me (and alot of others I know). I won't get into it here, but I feel that unless EVERYONE uses it, it's pointless.