Arcturus

A great band, love all the stuff right back to the start.

Will have to pick up a regular copy of the new album because the promo has annoying bleeps on it that actually stop me from wanting to listen to it, but it does sound good so far...

I personally, am fond of My Angel and Star Crossed by them. I wouldn't say they've been ripped out of nightmare before christmas though, specially considering all of that music was created by danny elfman - but that's beyond the point, and the comparrison seems compleatly illogical in my mind. I do however agree they are good, infact their beyond good.
You should check out Asmegin, Celestial and definatly Agalloch - all fantastic bands

Arcturus is cool, but not as cool as the band which contains a lot of Arcturus members, known as Winds. Well, one former and one current member anyway.

From their new Arcturus stuff I can understand why August went out and did his own thing with Winds. It's just brilliantly better than Arcturus right now, in the same league as Opeth for sure, or actually even better than Opeth as far musiciansship goes even though Opeth probably makes slightly better songs. Not by much though. :worship:

KJones said:
From their new Arcturus stuff I can understand why August went out and did his own thing with Winds. It's just brilliantly better than Arcturus right now, in the same league as Opeth for sure, or actually even better than Opeth as far musiciansship goes even though Opeth probably makes slightly better songs. Not by much though. :worship:

Bah, I have to disagree. Even though I love Winds, they bear a few weaknesses.

For one, some of the songs sound the same; the structure of the songs are similar in many cases. August plays with feel at times, and a few of his solos are unique and very catchy, but most fit under the typical neo-classical shred formula that half of the world's guitarists follow.
Secondly, let's face it, Lars isn't the greatest vocalist. Although I do think his voice fits the band well, his performance isn't inspiring or unique in anyway.

Really, I can see why most people prefer Winds over the cosmic carnival freaks, as they're a much more accessible band in terms of style and songwriting. But, they don't even come close to the originality of Arcturus, nor do they come close to outdoing Arcturus in crafting songs, technical ability, or lyrical content, etc.

Either way, both are great bands.

Arcturus is one of my favorite bands along with Opeth. At first I didn't like Sideshow Symphonies that much but now that I listened to it more than 20 times I REALLY love it. It'd be hard to say if it's better that the sham mirrors though, they're equal for me, two fantastic masterpieces (along with La masquerade Infernale)

Fall of Man is awesome.. Wintry grey is so :Spin: :headbang: ... reminds me of vikings or something.. the middle part with the keyboards and the sound of a storm or a boat hitting water.. speaking of vikings anyone like bal-sagoth? (sorry for getting off topic)... man i stink of alcohol and sex haha.... :wave: