Arcturus

Torquemada

May 12, 2002
Visit site
I got the new remastered edition from Arcturus - Aspera Hiemns Simphonia , it sounds totally different to the original release it seems like Garm has re-recorded some vocals

Is it worth getting it? I already have both and I was considering buying it because of the new cover but if it's different i'll definitely get it :)

*grr* Damn Lordenlil, you stole my post
screama.gif
:p

Originally posted by astarte
Is it worth getting it? I already have both and I was considering buying it because of the new cover but if it's different i'll definitely get it :)

*grr* Damn Lordenlil, you stole my post
screama.gif
:p

:p :p :p :p :p It's my way of saying I appreciate you :p :p :p :p :p

Well the songs sound different to me , there are two unreleased tracks from the Aspera session that kick ass. I`m keeping both editions I don`t know which one is better, the remastered version sounds more clear but the original version has more feeling I think

shit... this 2 unreleased tracks is that same tracks on "Reconstellation" bootleg? i mean "Morax Anno 1996" and "Radiant Star Befallen" or this tracks is truly inreleased? i have "Aspera", "My Angel" and "Reconstellation", so i don't reissue is worthy getting...

Originally posted by Torquemada
The unreleased tracks are "The Deep is the Skies" and "Cosmojam" never before available.

so... i must have...:D

hey...my first post here...!

i thought the re-issue was totally worth the $$...the sound is more akin to the sham mirrors(particularly in the drum and guitar sounds), which, in spite of a few digressions, is a kick ass cd. It says in the cd-book, that the music was both re-mastered and re-mixed (albeit minimally, they claim). I imagine they had quite a bit of work if the original masters were in such poor shape. In the process, I think it became more of a serious record, and lost some of its "carnivalesque" edge...except for "cosmojam", which put my wife into an irretrievable fit of hysterical laughter......

Cut'n'paste from my post in the Arcturus thread on the Opeth forum:

Reconstellation bootleg 199?

Includes Constellation and My Angel and two tracks called Morax Anno 1996 ev. and Outro (Radiant Star Befallen). I don't know what those are supposed to be, but this is a nice easy way to get hold of the first two releases if you want to hear them.

Aspera Hiems Symfonia cd 1994 (digipack only?)

Very nice indeed. I'd buy this cd if I could find a non-digipack release. Gotta hate those bloody digipacks.

Aspera Hiems Symfonia + Constellation + My Angel dcd 2002 (remastered)

The remastering is rather uneven - it reveals previously hidden parts in the mix, some of which is good but it also brings defects to the front. Some tracks are cut short at the end (just a fraction of a second but still annoying) and some vocals have been re-recorded. I particularly dislike the sham-mirrorish cheese howl in Raudt og Svart.
On the whole I'd rather play the originals with some equalizing magic than the remastered ones.

The two session leftovers extra tracks are rather worthless. Constellation might be remastered but I don't think My Angel is, not that I see any point in remastering Constellation. If you don't mind digipack you're better off getting the AHS original and the Reconstellation bootleg.

Originally posted by Smekermann
Huh? Digipak? All versions of the original Aspera Hiems Symfonia have been in a white jewelcase. I didn't even know they had a digipak for it.

orginal version via Ancient Lore have been in DIGIPACK...

Originally posted by Smekermann
Huh? Digipak? All versions of the original Aspera Hiems Symfonia have been in a white jewelcase. I didn't even know they had a digipak for it.

I remeber it coming out. It was.
And it rocks:Smokedev:
Yet digi only has lyrics for constilations I never got the jewel till the CD2 reissue so I have no idea what the difference is. But I like the way the bass is ledgable on the reissue. It makes EQing it sound that much better:D

I'm just curious whats Arcturus up to these days. I have heard rumours (?) that Garm / Trickster G. Rex etc. left; that they /Arcturus/ played live recently. So basically I seek an update about one of my fave bands, thus any helpful post is welcomed! THX!
edit:some spelling mistakes corrected :)

Garm has indeed left the band, I think he said that he is tired of the metal genre. Which is very sad. Hopefully they'll get a worthy replacement. Perhaps Ihsahn would be interested ;) Or, when thinking about it; his ego might be a bit too large.

Thanks guys! I had some time and did some search, and yes, the singer from Spiral Architect, namely Øyvind Hægeland is the new singer in Arcturus.