Are guitar solos getting more mundane ?

I can't believe no one's mentioned Alexi Laiho! His use of modes rather than the same old scales everyone uses today makes him a very innovative young man indeed ;) :worship: :headbang:

I remember watching Some Kind of Monster and Kirk Hammet saying that solos are outdated nowadays. I have to agree with that.

Arch said:
I remember watching Some Kind of Monster and Kirk Hammet saying that solos are outdated nowadays. I have to agree with that.

Not a very reliable person to quote, eh? :Smug:

Anyway to each their own (UMOS motto #4). I believe solos are still essential to heavy metal/hard rock and those who play them with class will get more attention than those who don't.

Wyvern said:
Not a very reliable person to quote, eh? :Smug:

Anyway to each their own (UMOS motto #4). I believe solos are still essential to heavy metal/hard rock and those who play them with class will get more attention than those who don't.

Agreed! Solos are essential! Heavy Metal with out solos is boring ... do I think you need a solo in every song no prolly not some songs can hold their own without them but Solos are certainly not outdated and btw who the fuck died and made Kirk "whipped" Hammett the athority on the matter ... Metallica hasnt made a Metal album in 15 years he doesnt even count

Metal needs solo's, damn, the guitar is the fucking centre of Metal, isn't it ?? If there are no solo's it gets Mallcore, Hardcore, whatever you wanna call it (like Metallica does these days). Hell, back in the days Hardcore was funny,fresh, now it's boring!! I don't say every song needs a 10 minutes shredder, but for ME, solo's are essential to metal. Went to a Fear Factory concert lately, killer band but an enormous gap left withouth the guitar solo's... a 9/10 concert suddenly became a 6/10...

carnut said:
Metal needs solo's, damn, the guitar is the fucking centre of Metal, isn't it ?? If there are no solo's it gets Mallcore, Hardcore, whatever you wanna call it (like Metallica does these days). Hell, back in the days Hardcore was funny,fresh, now it's boring!! I don't say every song needs a 10 minutes shredder, but for ME, solo's are essential to metal. Went to a Fear Factory concert lately, killer band but an enormous gap left withouth the guitar solo's... a 9/10 concert suddenly became a 6/10...

Agreed! ... A good example of a Hardcore/Metal Crossover Band is Pro-Pain they perfectly combine the 2 genres and always have Great Guitar Solos!

Arch said:

It wasn't Kirk. It was Lars. Kirk might have agreed with him (what else would he do?) but it was Lars' opinion. To paraphrase Lars' arrogance, music has progressed beyond the solo and if people can't grasp that then they are ignorant. Translation: the hot trend right now is lamenting, melancholy lyrics backed by uninspired, muddy guitar and mundane steady-beat drumming. Oh, and absolutely no solos because solos are, wellll, inspired! If we want to suck an even bigger pile of money out of the masses to further pad our retirement accounts then we must follow the trend!

How I long for the days when Metallica set the trend rather than follow it. :cry:

As for you thinking solos are outdated, I think that's great. One of the most important things about music for me is that if it sounds good, listen to it.

Lar$, Kreep, Jane's, who cares? JD, carnut and Zomb said it all. Metallica relevance in METAL ceased in 1988.

A song without a solo is like a sandwich without bread.

rokk said:
I say its the reverse.... If a song is like a sandwich.... then a song without a solo is just bread. :yuk:

What's wrong with bread? I like bread alone :Spin:

I think there are still some great soloist today (Loomis for example), however I feel that most guitarist have forgotten about playing with feeling. I will say that Andy LaRoque is still kicking out some nice, tastefull solos full of emotion. He is my favorite guitar player though, so I guess I'm a little biased. :) Does anyone else agree that he is unappreciated as a guitarist?

Fangface said:
Agreed dude! Andy deserves more recognition, he can shred with a wicked sense of melody.

I suppose he's not as recognized as some of his fellow shredders because he's a working man behind a frontman, he never felt the need to be upfront...
Needless to say that the likes of Malmsteen are just the opposite. :tickled:

SickBoy said:
I suppose he's not as recognized as some of his fellow shredders because he's a working man behind a frontman, he never felt the need to be upfront...
Needless to say that the likes of Malmsteen are just the opposite. :tickled:

I love Yngwie (at least in studio) but I'm the first to recognize the superiority of many, many players out there (especially in the soloing department).

And LaRocque is a brilliant player btw (and I don't even like King Diamond).