Favorite Guitar Solos

I'm sure you guys are gonna think I'm a complete "puss" here.... but here are my top three leads of all time.... not counting technical playing ability, just simply that the lead is perfect for the song, and comes straight from the gut of everything the song should sound like....

In no particular order....

1. My Sharona (extended lead, not the 45 version) - The Knack .... a perfect power pop lead, nothing more, nothing less.

2. Jane - Jefferson Starship ... Craig Chaquico just rips this thing a new arse, not to mention the sweet funky break in the middle of this song.

3. Don't Let Him Go - REO Speedwagon ... Gary Richrath just brings this song home with the cool lead that extends into the ending of the song as well.

Now if I had to go with technical ability.... I'd say just about everything that Steve Vai has done, and I really worship the new jazz stuff Alex Skolnick is doing with The Alex Skolnick Trio.

Fangface said:
... "Tooth and Nail"! :headbang:
Definitely one there. The softer side of 80's metal did have some incredible axe-slingers. I could name bunches of White Lion songs, Kulick erta Kiss, Dokken, Ratt, Whitesnake (earlier.) etc. etc. I really think guitar progression has slowed to a crawl since guys like Yngwie etc. I really like those 80's guitar solos. That is one of the reasons I like Pagans Mind's guitarist Jorn Viggo Lofstat so much. The guy plays very much 80's style solos but he rips.

Bryant

Mr Crowley- Randy Rhoads(Ozzy)
The Prisoner- Dave Murray and Adrian Smith(Iron Maiden)
Welcome Home- Pete Blakk and Andy LaRoque(King Diamond)
Kissing the Shadows- Alexi(Children of Bodom)
Like Father Like Son- Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt(Exodus)
Elimination-Bobby Gustafson(Overkill)
Practice What You Preach- Alex Scholnick(Testament)

Just to name a few