Favorite Metal guitarists of all time

alright! my kinda post! There are sooooooo many but I'll go with my top 3 first! These three changed my life and made me wanna play....
TED Nugent
Edward VAN Halen
Ace FREHLEY

I'm not saying they're the best ever (especially ACE! haha) but they are my favorites and thus spawned the name TEDVANFREHLEY! Plust it kinda rhymes with "edvanhalen" in a "metal-sludge" kinda way. Those guys will always be my heroes, but here are a few more guitarists I think ruuuuuuuuuuuuule.

Keith Richards
Steve Lukather
Zakk Wylde
Dimebag on Vulgar Display of Power and CFH
Duane Allman
Gary Rossington
Clapton
Jason Becker on DLR's A Lil Aint Enough
John Lowery - John 5 from manson - I don't love Manson but he's a GREAT picker of all styles especially on DLR BAND cd
The Mighty HETFIELD

Chris Poland is actually a VERY talented fusion jazz player, if you can believe that. Dave Mustaine says that even though he was a piece of shit (he wrote "Liar" about him), Chris taught him a hell of a lot about soloing and applying different styles of music to his writing...I've heard a little bit of his solo stuff, and it's pretty damn good...

George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob)
Warren DeMartini (Ratt, Whitesnake)
Vinnie Vincent (KISS, Vinnie Vincent Invasion)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
Bill Levertey (Firehouse)
Reb Beach (Winger, Dokken)
Al Pitrelli (Alice Cooper, Savatage, Megadeth)
Bruce Kulick (KISS)
Harry K Cody (Shotgun Messiah)

USMC0341 said:
Chris Poland is actually a VERY talented fusion jazz player, if you can believe that. Dave Mustaine says that even though he was a piece of shit (he wrote "Liar" about him), Chris taught him a hell of a lot about soloing and applying different styles of music to his writing...I've heard a little bit of his solo stuff, and it's pretty damn good...
Actually the second Ohm album "Live On Kpfk 90.7 FM" is up until now my favorite album of the year! It is fantastic. Lately I have been listening to fusion a bit and I am really getting into it :)

The Ohm bassist Robby Pagliary is great, he plays a 6 string fretless bass and is burning up the motherfucker :). The drummer is Kofi Baker the son of Ginger Baker [Cream] he's excellent to. Be sure to check it out. Great album!

sixxswine said:
That hurt so bad I felt it across the country! Ouch!
Seriously, I agree, he's not flashy, gets the job done & does have a sound all to his own.
It shouldn't hurt. Mick's not technically gifted but he made my list due to his unique and instantly recognizable style. I appreciate technical dexterity, but it's style that seperates the men from the boys really in my book. David Gilmour can do more with ten notes than most guitarists can do with one hundred. The same goes for Billy Gibbons.

Bryant

baldyboy said:
dont know why bryant,but i expected your post on this one to be a tale of epic proportions.feel a bit let down now!lol.

for me-jeff waters.love the guys style
Hmmm..... I do love guitar and often love to talk about it, but at the same time I don't like to overanalyze it. I have a guitarist's ear when I am learning a cover or if someone is asking my opinion of a guitarist or a guitar part in a song, but in general I love music and all instruments (to include vocals) but maybe my training as a musician has given me a polyphonic ear, meaning I can hear all instruments at the same time fairly equally and the way they all work together to achieve the song. I love producers and engineers as much as musicians as well. I am more impressed by phrasing (the way a note as played) and choice of notes as opposed by speed or difficulty of the passage. I am also very sensitive to tone. These things aren't limited to guitar but to all instruments (again to include vocals) I think Michael Romeo of SX is a fantastic player, but it sounds like he is playing through a Sears ad Roebucks amp. His tone is shit, so he doesn't make my list and I listen to SX mostly because their vocalist Russell Allen is nothing short of incredible. Style is also bigger in my ears than technical prowess, though having the difficult chops gives you more ordinance in your arsenal.
Now, the reason why Wolf Hoffmann is my favorite guitarist is because he sounds the best to me..... First and foremost, he played in Accept so he was surrounded by four other fantastic musicians and two different amazing producers. Accept in their "prime" (which I consider BttW and Metal Heart) were able to sound both raw and aggressive while being extremely tight and technical at the same time. That's tough to achieve but they were the masters at it. They also perfectly blended power and melody with plenty of head banging, fist-pounding moments and heart felt emotic moments as well. Once again Accept set the standard for that.
Wolf had tone !!! His chords were as raw and powerful as AC/DC "Back in Black era, but Accept/Wolf also allowed his rythm player to have tone as well unlike AC/DC. I would give my left nut to know the formula wagner (the producer) used for Wolf's tone on BttW as to this day it has not been surpassed.
Wolf had style !!!! Yngwie plays classical, Angus plays blues. Wolf played both equally well. Wolf would often change rythms in a song to fit his solo, but it was always so well thought out it never disrupted the "flow" of the song. Wolf ofted would throw in a single note or basic power chords within a solo that other technically developed guitarists wouldn't do. I can't say WHY they wouldn't do that other than they think it's boring, but Wolf constructed his solos to SOUND the best not be the most difficult to play.
Wolf had feeling !!! If you have any friends that own Russian Roulette listen to a power ballad on that disc titled "Hard to Find a Way." Everyone has heard the term "the guitarist bleeds on this one." You would have to pull out some Stevie Ray Vaughn or something to hear a guitarist putting his soul into it like that. Wolf solos over the last verse aloong with Udo's singing and it's ..... well he never stops soloing after the "solo" but it doesn't cloud up the song. He purs it on.
Wolf had phrasing !!! Similar to "feeling," Wolf put more into his notes than most others. His right hand technique and left hand technique were used equally and he was a master of both. He loved pick slides, palm muting, pinch harmonics and other left hand techniques as well as being a master at Aeolean minor work like his Germen brethren, Schenker, Roth and Jabs.
Wolf had technical wizardry !!! While Wolf didn't fart around with things like two hand technique, when you combine his knowledge of blues, classical and teutonic licks, left and right hand technique it is hard as fuck to play his stuff. He puts so much into so many notes, there is no way to put his techniques into as many of the notes as he does. I can "play" a few of his solos when he was in his prime, but I can only play his notes. It doesn't sound like him..... it sounds like me playing his solo and I hae been trying for twenty years.
Wolf has no competition !!! Twenty years since "Metal Heart" I still haven't heard a guitarist that is the all around great he is. The closest I have heard is Jorn Viggo Lofstat, who is a 27 yo guitarist for a Norwegian band called Pagan's Mind. He doesn't consider Wolf an influence (and trust me, I have talked to him about it) but his style and technique is as close to Wolf's as anyone I have heard, but he's still not Wolf.

Is this reply a little more "up your alley" Baldy ? :D

Bryant

Ah fuck I left Wolf out, you're right he is awesome and often overlooked because he isn't a "flashy" guitarist. Have you heard his solo "Classical" album? That is awesome. Would you be interested in a CDr of ACCEPT live at Donington in '84? I was lucky enough to be there and they were excellent - anyway the BBC subsequently broadcast their set and I taped it and this year Black Goat transferred it to CDr for me, the sound is very good too.

Runehammer said:
Ah fuck I left Wolf out, you're right he is awesome and often overlooked because he isn't a "flashy" guitarist. Have you heard his solo "Classical" album? That is awesome. Would you be interested in a CDr of ACCEPT live at Donington in '84? I was lucky enough to be there and they were excellent - anyway the BBC subsequently broadcast their set and I taped it and this year Black Goat transferred it to CDr for me, the sound is very good too.

Yes I own "Classical." It's a little slow paced, but I still love it. His renditions of the classics are interesting. I would be very interested in their Donnington concert. They are my second fave band of all time (only slightly below Vanden Plas) and I never got to see them live. :erk:

Bryant

Trixxi Trash said:
Bruce Kulick (KISS)

I knew Vinnie would be on your list, but I am happy Kulick is. Though I like Kiss, they wouldn't be high on my fave band list, but Bruce is high on my guitar list (as you can see in my post.) As a pure soloist, he is hard to beat. He has great style, technique and put mucho technical dexterity into a band that likes to normally keep things pretty basic. They fucked him...............

bryant

Bryant said:
Hmmm..... I do love guitar and often love to talk about it, but at the same time I don't like to overanalyze it.

[snip]

Wolf has no competition !!! Twenty years since "Metal Heart" I still haven't heard a guitarist that is the all around great he is. The closest I have heard is Jorn Viggo Lofstat, who is a 27 yo guitarist for a Norwegian band called Pagan's Mind. He doesn't consider Wolf an influence (and trust me, I have talked to him about it) but his style and technique is as close to Wolf's as anyone I have heard, but he's still not Wolf.

Is this reply a little more "up your alley" Baldy ? :D

Bryant
Wow! GREAT post Bryant! :worship: