Are the defective DVD's going to be addressed or not?

Snowmaker said:
I called today and got the voice mail, so I hung up. They didn't reply to email, so I surely doubt they'd call me back.

I'll try back again.

Totally helpless and starting to get quite annoying and troll like

What the hell you talking about?

No one forced you to read this. :loco:

What's annoying is that I have to go out of my way to get a corrected DVD that I already paid for.

When Dream Theater's Live at Budokan DVD was screwed up, they announced how to get a replacement and all I had to do was send one email and a new disk showed up in the mail.

Ok, let me comment the situation. I bought the DVD few weeks ago, it's the PAL version.

The picture format is something between 14:9 and 16:9, and it's letterbox, not anamorphic. This means, that the picture aspect ratio on the DVD is 4:3 and you should make it fit into your widescreen TV by zooming it. The problem is that when you do that, the TV crops the picture a bit. Not so much that something important would be cut out.

So it's more 16:9 than anything else, though it's letterbox and not anamorphic. The aspect ratio of the displaying picture is ok, the objects in it don't stretch. The DVD isn't defective at all, it's just very oddly done. I wouldn't wait any reworking on it.

I don't understand why the picture format is not anamorphic, if the show was really filmed with HD cameras. The HD format resolution is about four times sharper than anamorphic DVD, so the filmed source would be actually over 6 times sharper than the picture we have on the DVD.

SirJuzzi said:
Ok, let me comment the situation. I bought the DVD few weeks ago, it's the PAL version.

The picture format is something between 14:9 and 16:9, and it's letterbox, not anamorphic. This means, that the picture aspect ratio on the DVD is 4:3 and you should make it fit into your widescreen TV by zooming it. The problem is that when you do that, the TV crops the picture a bit. Not so much that something important would be cut out.

So it's more 16:9 than anything else, though it's letterbox and not anamorphic. The aspect ratio of the displaying picture is ok, the objects in it don't stretch. The DVD isn't defective at all, it's just very oddly done. I wouldn't wait any reworking on it.

I don't know of any problems on the PAL version, the one we've been talking about is the NTSC version.

It is incorrectly done because the video on the DVD is 16:9 but the display setting in the IFO file is 4:3 it therefore stretches it to fit the screen and looks like a--.

I don't understand why you would zoom in on a widescreen DVD and crop the sides off....you lose the whole purpose for having widescreen in the first place. That's may be just me, though.

I ended up using DVD Decrypter to transfer the whole DVD to my computer, then used PGCEdit to edit the IFO file, then reburnt to a blank dual layer DVD. Problem solved! Sure, it would be nice to have the actual corrected version, but for now I'm content with my "fixed" version.

RockGarden said:
I don't understand why you would zoom in on a widescreen DVD and crop the sides off....you lose the whole purpose for having widescreen in the first place. That's may be just me, though.

You don't know what is a letterbox screen?

Even if the DVD box sayed the screen is 16:9 widescreen, that doesn't necessarily an anamorphic widescreen. The letterbox picture format is like an old TV format picture (4:3) with the black bars on top and bottom of the screen. So the actual picture screen there is 16:9 widescreen, and if you own a widescreen TV, you must specifically use the zoom option of your TV to make the picture show correctly. If you set your TV on wide mode, the picture shows wrong - the black bars are left on top and bottom of the screen, and the actual picture is flattened.

On the Evergrey PAL DVD, the back bars are quite narrow, but the picture becomes flattened if you use the wide option. It shows correcly by using the zoom option, though it crops the picture a bit. So are you sure the NTSC versio should really be anamorphic (which people think widescreen means directly), otherwise than the PAL version? Because all the screen formats are saved in 4:3 aspect ratio - the anamorphic widescreen is made 16:9 by stretching it to the screen using the wide mode of a widescreen TV (the DVD players modify the screen to letterbox for 4:3 TVs), while you just zoom a lettebox widescreen to fill the entire screen.

...But if you NTSC-guys have got the anamorphic screen, then I really want an NTSC copy of the DVD. (I guess it's still region-free?)

SirJuzzi said:
You don't know what is a letterbox screen?

Even if the DVD box sayed the screen is 16:9 widescreen, that doesn't necessarily an anamorphic widescreen. The letterbox picture format is like an old TV format picture (4:3) with the black bars on top and bottom of the screen. So the actual picture screen there is 16:9 widescreen, and if you own a widescreen TV, you must specifically use the zoom option of your TV to make the picture show correctly. If you set your TV on wide mode, the picture shows wrong - the black bars are left on top and bottom of the screen, and the actual picture is flattened.

On the Evergrey PAL DVD, the back bars are quite narrow, but the picture becomes flattened if you use the wide option. It shows correcly by using the zoom option, though it crops the picture a bit. So are you sure the NTSC versio should really be anamorphic (which people think widescreen means directly), otherwise than the PAL version? Because all the screen formats are saved in 4:3 aspect ratio - the anamorphic widescreen is made 16:9 by stretching it to the screen using the wide mode of a widescreen TV (the DVD players modify the screen to letterbox for 4:3 TVs), while you just zoom a lettebox widescreen to fill the entire screen.

...But if you NTSC-guys have got the anamorphic screen, then I really want an NTSC copy of the DVD. (I guess it's still region-free?)

I wouldn't get the NTSC version unless it's fixed. I wasn't referring to watching it on a widescreen TV, I was talking about a conventional TV ... 4:3 aspect ratio.

I don't know if I can explain this very well.....but the reason your seeing black bars on the top and bottom even on a widescreen tv is because the actual original video was thinner than 16:9 probably 2.85:1 or something like that. They had to add the black bars to the video so it wouldn't be stretched when it was encoded at a 16:9 aspect ratio. So you should still see small black bars even on a widescreen TV and they'll be even bigger (than the normal black bars you get on a 16:9 encoded video) on a conventional TV. Both releases "should" be anamorphic widescreen.

We might be saying the same thing but just a different way. If your zooming in with a widescreen TV then your not cropping off that much so you probably don't miss it anyway.

Snowmaker said:
Well, I just called and spoke to a nice woman there who took down my name, told me to send in my disk and they'll send me a replacement. :)

I finally got off my lazy a$# and called them yesterday and probably spoke to the same lady. I'll be sending mine off today.

She made it sound like they're gonna replace the whole package because they can't open them up to just send a replacement disk. I guess I'll find out when I get mine back.

RockGarden said:
Both releases "should" be anamorphic widescreen.

We might be saying the same thing but just a different way. If your zooming in with a widescreen TV then your not cropping off that much so you probably don't miss it anyway.

The PAL DVD is not anamorphic. It's a letterbox. If you own a 4:3 TV and see the black bars, which aren't as wide as they are in "normal" widescreen DVD, you see the picture just as you are supposed to. Otherwise it would be a 2.85:1 anamorphic screen, and with a widescreen TV you can force it to show in that mode. And I can tell you the aspect ratio isn't right that way, the objects in the picture become flattened.

But if you DON'T see ANY black bars with Evergrey DVD with 4:3 TV, then the DVD is really defective, and the picture format should be anamorphic. Which would be odd, because, as I said, the PAL DVD is a letterbox (meaning not anamorphic). I hope this cleared the things a bit more.

SirJuzzi said:
The PAL DVD is not anamorphic. It's a letterbox. If you own a 4:3 TV and see the black bars, which aren't as wide as they are in "normal" widescreen DVD, you see the picture just as you are supposed to. Otherwise it would be a 2.85:1 anamorphic screen, and with a widescreen TV you can force it to show in that mode. And I can tell you the aspect ratio isn't right that way, the objects in the picture become flattened.

But if you DON'T see ANY black bars with Evergrey DVD with 4:3 TV, then the DVD is really defective, and the picture format should be anamorphic. Which would be odd, because, as I said, the PAL DVD is a letterbox (meaning not anamorphic). I hope this cleared the things a bit more.

Well I do see black bars because the 2.85:1 video was letterboxed to a 16:9 video. They're just smaller then normal and everyone is stretched out because the DVD player thinks it should be displaying 4:3 video when actually it's displaying 16:9 video and stretching it to fit a 4:3 screen.

It doesn't make any sense why the PAL version would be letterbox and the NTSC version would be anamorphic. That's an extra step they would've had to go through for your copy. Yours may be screwed up too. I'd play the video on the computer (without making it full screen) see if the video window is displaying it as 16:9 or 4:3. If it's 4:3, I'd do some more investigating....