Are the defective DVD's going to be addressed or not?

Well, I trust my eyes and I know what's the shape of a human being and guitars and drums, so I can say if you force the widescreen TV to show the picture in a wide mode, the objects (for example the players and the instruments) get a distorted shape. It shows right with your 4:3 TV - the DVD ain't 2.85:1 letterbox, anamorphic widescreen. It's 4:3 letterbox (which is 16:9 widescreen as mentioned behind the box, if you zoom it with a widescreen TV).

The 2.85:1 picture is for movies, I've never seen another DVD products in that format.

A little editting here: I just watched the DVD with my computer, which has the normal 4:3 display. When the fullscreen picture isn't cropped at all, I can say it doesn't look natural either that way. But it does look more than if you force it to show as an anamorphic screen. So there is something wrong - if the entire picture area would really be in 16:9 ratio, it would probably show as it should. So the DVD seems to need some serious reworking...

SirJuzzi said:
A little editting here: I just watched the DVD with my computer, which has the normal 4:3 display. When the fullscreen picture isn't cropped at all, I can say it doesn't look natural either that way. But it does look more than if you force it to show as an anamorphic screen. So there is something wrong - if the entire picture area would really be in 16:9 ratio, it would probably show as it should. So the DVD seems to need some serious reworking...

From what you're saying it sounds like the PAL version may be screwed up too.

You could decrypt it to your hard drive and change the 4:3 flag to 16:9, in the IFO file, and see if it displays correctly. That's how I found out that mine was bad.

See, just using the aspect ratio button of my widescreen TV I can do that without editting any files. The problem is that the picture is not really in any known aspect ratio, but something between. The right way to fix that would be to rip the whole thing into a computer, cut out the black bars, stretch the cropped result into 4:3 format and then change the 4:3 flag to 16:9. Then it would show as an anamorphic screen and with the correct aspect ratio.

If the record label did that, it would mean quite a big reworking with some financical consequences.

SirJuzzi said:
See, just using the aspect ratio button of my widescreen TV I can do that without editting any files. The problem is that the picture is not really in any known aspect ratio, but something between. The right way to fix that would be to rip the whole thing into a computer, cut out the black bars, stretch the cropped result into 4:3 format and then change the 4:3 flag to 16:9. Then it would show as an anamorphic screen and with the correct aspect ratio.

The video is 16:9. If you crop the black bars then the resulting video would display incorrectly.....it would be stretched out. Not quite as bad as it is now for me but it would still be disproportionate.

***I apologize if the following sounds like I'm talking down to you, I'm just trying to be thorough in my explanation***

Typically DVD video is either 4:3 (Full Screen) or 16:9 (Wide Screen) so they had to make it fit one those formats. The video on this release is 16:9 (I verified it) so in order to make the original High Definition 2.85:1 video stream fit a 16:9 video stream they had to add the black bars to maintain the correct proportion. They are normal and necessary in this instance....the same way that widescreen videos were letterboxed to full screen so that they could maintain the proper proportion when being played back on a full screen TV.

Since the IFO file is screwed up the DVD player and/or computer thinks it 4:3 so everyone is stretched out. Change the setting to 16:9 in the IFO file and everything will look normal.

You really need to look at it on either a computer or a non-widescreen TV. That will really let you know whether or not your disc is screwed up, I think viewing it on a widescreen TV is misleading.

I hope that makes sense....again, I'm not trying to be ass.

Snowmaker said:
Well, I mailed out my DVD Nov 22nd and have not received anything back yet. I wonder how long it will take.

If you haven't received it in 3 weeks I'd give them another call. I figure a week to get there and week to get back with a week for processing should be plenty of time.....

RockGarden said:
Typically DVD video is either 4:3 (Full Screen) or 16:9 (Wide Screen) so they had to make it fit one those formats. The video on this release is 16:9 (I verified it) so in order to make the original High Definition 2.85:1 video stream fit a 16:9 video stream they had to add the black bars to maintain the correct proportion.

I understand completely what you are talking about, I know a lot about DVD picture formats, and how they are made. But High Definition video's aspect ratio is 16:9, not 2.35:1 (had to check this, it's not 2.85). The 2.35:1 ratio is for movie films. And the thing I try to say is that for some reason on Evergrey's DVD the correct proportion is not maintained, the picture isn't either real 16:9 widescreen, or 4:3 letterbox. It shows stretched or flattened depending on which mode you use with it.

Once I wathced a DVD movie, which had wrong information file about the picture format. It looked very narrowed in 4:3 mode, but showed correctly as I forced it to widescreen mode with my TV. And I can say Evergrey's DVD doesn't look even nearly that much narrowed, if you watch it as it is. AND it doesn't show right in widescreen mode either. Hopefully you understand what I mean...

SirJuzzi said:
I understand completely what you are talking about, I know a lot about DVD picture formats, and how they are made. But High Definition video's aspect ratio is 16:9, not 2.35:1 (had to check this, it's not 2.85). The 2.35:1 ratio is for movie films.

I knew it was something like that, thanks for passing on the correct information.

SirJuzzi said:
And the thing I try to say is that for some reason on Evergrey's DVD the correct proportion is not maintained, the picture isn't either real 16:9 widescreen, or 4:3 letterbox. It shows stretched or flattened depending on which mode you use with it.

Once I wathced a DVD movie, which had wrong information file about the picture format. It looked very narrowed in 4:3 mode, but showed correctly as I forced it to widescreen mode with my TV. And I can say Evergrey's DVD doesn't look even nearly that much narrowed, if you watch it as it is. AND it doesn't show right in widescreen mode either. Hopefully you understand what I mean...

I kind of understand what you mean.....I just think there are too many ways to change your picture settings and it could be causing some confusion.....at least on my part because I don't have one of them fancy TVs yet. I still think the best way is to verify what you're seeing is to view it on your computer, if that capability is available of course.

I took two screen shots from PowerDVD to show you what mine looks like but I guess I need to have some webspace allocated to be able to post them in this forum. If you're interested I can email them to you.

Snowmaker said:
I just called and the gentleman I spoke to said it went out today. Coincidence, or is it because I called? :err:

They actually called me yesterday to verify that I only needed the concert DVD and said they were shipping it out within the next couple of days. So we should see them maybe this weekend or the beginning of next week.....hopefully. :)

RockGarden said:
They actually called me yesterday to verify that I only needed the concert DVD and said they were shipping it out within the next couple of days. So we should see them maybe this weekend or the beginning of next week.....hopefully. :)

Well, they told me whether I sent back the whole thing or just disk 1, they'd send me a whole new package either way.

Snowmaker said:
Well, they told me whether I sent back the whole thing or just disk 1, they'd send me a whole new package either way.

That's what she initially told me, but this last time I talked to her she made it sound like she was only going to send the first disc. I guess I'll find out when it shows up.

I received my replacement DVD today! They sent me the complete set still sealed. So now I have an extra disk 2 and case. How cool of them!

They also included a black and white publicity photo of the band.

EDIT: I DON'T BELIEVE IT! Its the same version! :yell:

I even looked at the IFO files and they're 4:3.

So, I just sent an email and I will also call tomorrow. :(

evergreydvd3lj.jpg

Snowmaker said:
I called and talked to Jennifer there today. She was very nice and understanding and said they'll get me out another one, but they'll pop the disk into a computer and verify its the corrected version first. :headbang: :worship:

Did you receive yours yet? I'm still waiting on mine. I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and see what's up.

I emailed the very nice Jennifer at IO today about the replacements. This was her reply:

"Well, I popped in a few of the DVDs we have here, and it looks like they're all the wrong aspect ratio. And this is the NEW shipment that we were told was correct! So, since these were manufactured by our German office, we will contact them on Monday when they get back from their holidays. Just wanted to keep you posted. Sorry again.
Thanks for your patience,"
Jennifer

Snowmaker said:
I emailed the very nice Jennifer at IO today about the replacements. This was her reply:

"Well, I popped in a few of the DVDs we have here, and it looks like they're all the wrong aspect ratio. And this is the NEW shipment that we were told was correct! So, since these were manufactured by our German office, we will contact them on Monday when they get back from their holidays. Just wanted to keep you posted. Sorry again.
Thanks for your patience,"
Jennifer

Yep, I pretty much got the same answer when I called her. Looks like we're back to waiting again....