are we all intelligent then?

Metalheads and fans of metal music in general are 2 different categories, though.

Some of the former ones are abismally stupid (see? I came up with a new word! I'm in the latter bracket then).

Anyone really intelligent would shun away from claiming he knows what really intelligent people do.

... oh crap. :(

you have too many posts to participate in this discussion :p

So how do you know what else we listen to (or what we don't listen to, for that matter)
And by the way: they say cows, when exposed to mozart, give more milk. I have never seen a cow solving the Schrödinger-Equation, but I did solve it- while listening to some good old heavy metal:headbang:

I never said anything for you people to take offense at! :lol:
i'm a metalhead myself and all I'm saying is that imo it's a bit stupid to relate intelligence with musical preference, the closest relation I could see is that most metalheads are nerds and nerds = smart :p
and even more classical music fans are pretentious nerds so they should be smarter right :p?

also i don't really care to hear about your cow milking experiences, thrilling as they may be ;)

i'm a metalhead myself and all I'm saying is that imo it's a bit stupid to relate intelligence with musical preference, the closest relation I could see is that most metalheads are nerds and nerds = smart :p
and even more classical music fans are pretentious nerds so they should be smarter right :p?

I think the whole point of this research was that that the more selective and unpopular your taste in anything is, the likelier it is that you're a person with your own views and ideas. Admittedly, it's not a shocking revelation. It would be more interesting to find out whether there still is a connection between being selective and liking metal, in my opinion.

also i don't really care to hear about your cow milking experiences, thrilling as they may be ;)

Finally someone says what's on everybody's mind!

imo, it's a question of negatives more than anything.

songs that get played three thousand times in six weeks normally do not have anything that really stimulates either intellect or structured taste. this is not another self-important jab at teh mainstream, it's merely stating fact - on average, popular hits have simple lyrics and simple music.

so if someone is not satisfied with this lack of depth they will look somewhere else. they will end up in some subculture or other. and since most people do this while teenaged, identity comes into play: belonging to that subculture will become a badge of honor, reinforced through clothes, choice of books, movies etc.

of course, other people will come to the same subculture not because they want depth, but because they like the clothes, or all their friends are doing it.

punk is an extraordinary example of how the two types of people can come together: you have high-brow activist kids who become punks because of the politics in the music, you have low-brow thuggish kids who become punks to piss people off. it is interesting to point out that the second category started it all.

what i am trying to say is that people who drift to a small clique because of their dissatisfaction with shallowness probably are smarter than others. but not all people who drift toward that clique are dissatisfied with shallowness. they might become more focused and delve deeper into some questions by the mere hanging around with the clique, but most times it will be 'just a phase'.

one can tell the difference at a glance, really.

Very "intelligent" :) post, hyena. My opinion as mentioned. An active, selective taste in music takes some brains, but if this really correlates to a higher-than-average IQ - i don't know.

I'm not surprised that a link was found. I think it makes perfect sense that people who are more intelligent look for music that takes effort. I think it reinforces a concept that is familar.

That being said: No D's or F's here :p

Though I am still finishing up my LAST semester (less than three months until I finish! yay!) I should graduate with a 3.9 GPA (not sensational, but I'm proud).

I'm sorry for being bitchy (studying does that to me), but why do people from the USA usually assume that everyone is familiar with their weird grading system? At least, when i try to brag about my accomplishments, i make sure everyone gets it. ;)

I'm sorry for being bitchy (studying does that to me), but why do people from the USA usually assume that everyone is familiar with their weird grading system? At least, when i try to brag about my accomplishments, i make sure everyone gets it. ;)

Canada (or, at least, British Columbia) doesn't have Ds, but I still understand what they are. Being bitchy is fine, though.

Canada (or, at least, British Columbia) doesn't have Ds, but I still understand what they are. Being bitchy is fine, though.
I was referring more to the GPA thingie.

But yeah, i understand what a D is, it's something between C and F and it probably sucks. No idea about the rest though.

Maybe if he had got all A's he would have known... ;)

As a side note, letters with very similar values are used in Italy in all junior high classes, only to be replaced in high school by a 0-to-10 grading system, and at the university by an 18-to-30-cum-laude system, where 18 is the pass mark and all grades below tend to be "failed" without further differentiation. I often wish it would be possible to introduce a grading scale based solely on Internet catchphrases.

Maybe if he had got all A's he would have known... ;)

hahaha. :) Way to knock me down a peg - but that's what I get (and probably deserve). I have no idea how other country's grading systems work, and I readily admit that.

Basically that system of grade point average is my number grade in every high school class I've had (with percentage weights for harder classes) averaged together. Out of 100%, I believe it was somewhere around 97.3. After, simply divide the number percentage (out of 100) by 25. (97.3 / 25 = 3.892) The GPA is the number that is left - 3.892 or 3.9 rounded up.

Its too convoluted.

hahaha. :) Way to knock me down a peg - but that's what I get (and probably deserve). I have no idea how other country's grading systems work, and I readily admit that.

Nah, I was just joking. Besides, I know people who did horribly in school and went on to a smashing career as university students and/or in their job. And I know about as many who failed miserably one or both even though they were top of their class in high school.

Basically that system of grade point average is my number grade in every high school class I've had (with percentage weights for harder classes) averaged together. Out of 100%, I believe it was somewhere around 97.3. After, simply divide the number percentage (out of 100) by 25. (97.3 / 25 = 3.892) The GPA is the number that is left - 3.892 or 3.9 rounded up.
Thanks for explaining it, now it makes sense. :)

Here (ie Greece) we have a 0-10 grading system in elementary school, a 0-20 system in junior high and in high school, and a 0-10 in university as well.
I remember having an A,B,C system in elementary school back in my first school years (which changed afterwards), but for some reason i don't remember a D and noone ever failed. Not even illiterate kids..