Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

I agree to a point. But these aren't friggin' specific history dates from specific battles in WW2. These are questions like, "What is the official language of Australia?", and "Which continent is also a country?"

The last one, however, depends on where you're from in the world. To Europeans, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and the surrounding islands are known as Oceania, but in the US we learned it as only Australia is the continent.

To Europeans AND Canadians, so I guess it's only the US that don't give the correct teachings about geography :p

To Europeans AND Canadians, so I guess it's only the US that don't give the correct teachings about geography :p

I'd agree, but each country teaches things differently. For example, who invented the radio? Many people would say Tesla if you're from the US. After all, it's what we were taught our whole lives. But others contend it was Guglielmo Marconi. Everything depends on the eye of the beholder, I guess.

It's not that the US doesn't recognize Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia as Oceania...they just decided that since New Zealand is reigned over by the Queen of England, as is Australia, Australia should be considered a continent in and of itself due to it's majority in the region.

I'd agree, but each country teaches things differently. For example, who invented the radio? Many people would say Tesla if you're from the US. After all, it's what we were taught our whole lives. But others contend it was Guglielmo Marconi. Everything depends on the eye of the beholder, I guess.

It's not that the US doesn't recognize Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia as Oceania...they just decided that since New Zealand is reigned over by the Queen of England, as is Australia, Australia should be considered a continent in and of itself due to it's majority in the region.

Okay, fair enough. Well, I don't want to sound like a smartass, but since Canada is also "reigned" over by the Queen of England, shouldn't we also be our own continent since we're the majority (in landmass) in the region?

I understand your reasoning, but your landmass isn't exactly dwarfing the US. I would assume that we have continents due to the split from Pangaea, and Canada isn't a separate landmass completely surrounded by water (but then again, neither is Europe). If it were, however, I'm sure it would probably be considered a continent.

I understand your reasoning, but your landmass isn't exactly dwarfing the US. I would assume that we have continents due to the split from Pangaea, and Canada isn't a separate landmass completely surrounded by water (but then again, neither is Europe). If it were, however, I'm sure it would probably be considered a continent.

Then again, I expected you to say that. I wasn't really being serious:p I understand the logic of calling Australia a continent.

*sigh* You know they screen who goes on those shows for entertainment effect: "Hmmm, let's see. We've got a Boeing engineer, a Southern trophy wife with her Mrs. degree, a fifth grade teacher, and two rocket scientists. So we're going with the bimbo? Right!..."