Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry

It's a good album, but not the masterpiece that you make it out to be. Its probably praised so much because of its now trendy old-school sound, but its too self-indulgent and The Chasm do the same thing but much better.

I've been waiting to post in this thread for a while. IB is a masterpiece. Anybody who refuses to listen to this becuase of the lyrics are missing out on quality metal. The lyrics are very well written. I do not need to mention the awesome riffage. Anything by this band is great. It's a shame they are not more well known.

The lyrics are good. As long as the band had an idealogy or reason to their music and expresses this with good lyrics, that's all that matters. You can't deny it, even if you are against racism. Just like how I think Satanic idealogy is crap, but bands like Deathspell Omega have good lyrics that fit their idealogy.

Either way, I will be getting AoG and GTtBR soon because IB kicks so much ass.

I agree with the review(great release) for the most part except where Life Sucks says that it isnt melo-death or Gothenburg.

This cd is very melo-death, it sounds heavily influenced by The Jester Race from the epic guitar melodies to the Anders like(at the time) vocals. Just because you hate melo-death doesnt make this cd any less of it, cause thats exactly what it is.

Arghoslent's recording career predates that of In Flames. their "The Imperial Clans" demo, which can be found on "Arsenal of Glory", was recorded 2 years before "The Jester Race", and I can assure you that Arghoslent has not radically changed direction in the years following that demo.

In Flames is much more of an Iron Maiden worship band with harsh vocals, whereas Arghoslent fits into the death metal genre.

The Chasm does a very different thing than this combination of raw NWOBHM and old school death metal, though I agree that they're the superior band.

I was just saying that IB, which is a fairly recent release from what I gather, is a melo-death album. Leads are used on top of nearly every riff, and the vocals dont sound like traditional death vox and are much more similar Anders work on say Ceremonial Oath than traditional death vox.

J Mann said:
I was just saying that IB, which is a fairly recent release from what I gather, is a melo-death album. Leads are used on top of nearly every riff, and the vocals dont sound like traditional death vox and are much more similar Anders work on say Ceremonial Oath than traditional death vox.

He was only pointing out that your assumption that they were influenced by In Flames is wrong. They are melodic death, but that title is more fitting for them, as they actually have more of a death metal feel then say, In Flames. Plus there's more, dare I say it, "balls" behind Arghoslent's music then In Flames and the ilk.

SlaughterofSoul said:
He was only pointing out that your assumption that they were influenced by In Flames is wrong. They are melodic death, but that title is more fitting for them, as they actually have more of a death metal feel then say, In Flames. Plus there's more, dare I say it, "balls" behind Arghoslent's music then In Flames and the ilk.

If we get into technicalities IF LS was released in 94 the same year as Arghoslent recorded their first demo, and In Flames had demos before the recording of LS so their sound is technically older. Plus their was Ceremonial Oath (that pioneered the whole melodic death sound) before IF existed with both Friden and Strömblad as members. So those bands being older they could have influenced Arghoslent's sound, even if you hate IF and dont want Arghoslent to be associated with them the truth is they werent the first to do the sound and they were more than likely to be influenced by Gothenburg.

Also, I fail to see how their is more "balls" in Arghoslent's sound, I would say their "heaviness" is around the same level as IF between LS and TJR.

Arghoslent's first demo was in 1991. I don't know what it's like though.

Also, Arghoslent have few similiarities with Gothenburg, they're far more advanced. Gothenburg is for the most part sped up NWOBHM with death growls, it invokes none of the chaotic nihilism that is so potent in Arghoslent.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Arghoslent's first demo was in 1991. I don't know what it's like though.

Also, Arghoslent have few similiarities with Gothenburg, they're far more advanced. Gothenburg is for the most part sped up NWOBHM with death growls, it invokes none of the chaotic nihilism that is so potent in Arghoslent.

Im sitting here listening to Archaic Invincibility(great song) and as far as the guitar work goes, I fail to see how it is more advanced than early melodeath, its structured similiarily and it isnt overly technical, same basic time signatures that are used by other melodeath bands. And for the most part the rhythm riffs arent too complicated either much like in melo-death.

Saying that they have few similarities to melo-death is ignorant, nearly every riff is accompanied with a NWOBHM esque lead and are the obvious focus of the bands sound. The drum work isn't highly technical like most death metal and seems to be there just to keep the beat, like in melo-death where the drummers and rhythm arent the focus. Also if you factor in the vocals of Arghoslent's singer he sounds extremely similar to stylings of Friden's early work. He never reaches the gutteral lows as seen in most death metal and has a nice mid-ranged rasp akin to the Gothenburg vocal styling.

Even if you hate the melo-death genre and love Arghoslent their is no point in attempting to say their sound is completely different than that of the melo-death genre because the similarites are many. Whether you care to admit it or not Incorrigible Bigotry is a Melo-Death album.

hmm, I never followed up, even though I've had the CD for almost a year. Just relistened to it this weekend and still find it quite enjoyable. For an underground band they recording and musicianship is very good, same for the interior artwork. These guys made a really good CD full of great lyrics about history that fans of Amon Amarth style lyrics might also like. I hope Arghoslent make another great CD like Incorrigible Bigotry.