Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
Any of you guys heard of/playing the new Arma 2 mod? DayZ

http://dayzmod.com/

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1603

I'll let the videos/website do the talking

Why this mod is the best thing to happen to PC gaming

"Remember the feeling you got when you played your first real PC game? I'm not talking about the likes of minesweeper or solitaire - i'm talking about games like Wolf3D, Doom, Dune, C&C, heck i even remember playing Privateer on an old 486. Back then, gaming was great; magical even, but why? Gameplay was often harsh, the graphics were simple, as were the mechanics and victories were hard earned.

Since that time, many games have come and gone, but precious few have replaced that sense of magic i got playing games 15 years ago. Todays games are the same games i was playing 15 years ago. The graphics and game mechanics are vastly better to what they once were, but the gameplay is still lacking. Somewhere along the way, gameplay was set aside for better looking games and better physics. What we get now are the same games, every year. Originality is dead. Perhaps the best example of just how bad the gaming industry has become is the Call of Duty series. Every year Activision re-releases the exact same game (save for a few new weapons etc.) and laughs all the way to the bank. The Battlefield series isn't much better. Currently i have MOH Tier-1 installed on my PC, but i have never played it. I can't bring myself to even try as i know exactly what i'm in for.

I mentioned earlier that precious few games have restored that sense of magic i got when i first started gaming. Operation Flashpoint happened to be one of those games. The single player campaign in that game was incredibly immersive. Starwars Galaxies (before the CU), my first ever MMO was another. I've been somewhat numb to gaming since then. Often i find myself gaming merely for something to do. There have definitely been games that i have thoroughly enjoyed (mainly the Arma series online and the Total War series), but none i'd consider to have that 'magic'. At least until Day-Z.

But why? What makes it so special? The graphics are hardly cutting edge, the physics are appalling and the character animations are almost cringe worthy. Day-Z falls short in these areas but overcompensates with undoubtedly the most important characteristic of all: gameplay. This game has it in spades. With that fantastic gameplay comes a level of immersion that i haven't experienced since Operation Flashpoint. Playing Day-Z can be harsh and often unrewarding. Not everybody is a winner here. There is no directed gameplay and no thin storyline tacked on as an afterthought. All you have are your own choices, and their consequences. There is magic in this simplicity.

I noticed Rocket mentioned in one of the many threads on this forum, that no publisher would touch this idea for a game. I bet those publishers are watching very closely now. Day-Z has such incredible potential. To Rocket, i thank you. Thank you for restoring some of that gaming 'magic' i've so sorely missed. It feels *really* good to be excited about a game once more, and i hope your mod sees nothing but success. I do hope you continue to develop this. If you decide to charge for the finished product (and you should, you deserve it) i'll happily part with my money. Whatever the case, i'm along for the ride!"

Quote from the thread I posted ^^

I can't get playing properly until next week due to large amounts of work to finish, but I have a few friends (including my brothers), playing the game and have heard nothing but amazing reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a gameplay video yesterday having saw this posted on rock paper shotgun. It looks like it could be cool if given the time to iron out a few things, like the zombie animations. What I saw was a zombie running up to a player, stopping for two seconds, then doing a silly standing still attack animation while the player backed up ten steps out of harms way. But given that it's early in development I could let that slide and at least give the idea itself a thumbs up.

Been playing Arma 2 since 2009 and this is a cool mod, I'm way more excited about Planetside 2 though. Never been as excited for a game in my life.