Armored Saint in Belfast.

Col_ossus

Formerly Ulster Mosher.
Ok, finally got my head sorted after one of the best gigs of my life last night. We decided to go up to Belfast early to see if we could meet John Bush and Joey Vera, and parked across from the venue before heading into Katy Dalys, getting a few drinks and sitting outside watching the world go by. All of a sudden two very familiar men walked past carrying the merchandising for that evening's gig at The Spring & Airbrake. It wasn't till I looked at my mate, and he was obviously thinking the same thing. There was John and Joey doing the work of a roadie, so the two of us followed to the door of the venue. John knew straight away that we were coming over to talk to him, and he greeted us halfway with a firm handshake, and a "hey guys, how you doin? Whats your names?" We stood and talked for 10 minutes, his reason for having to do the roadies work, "Its a DIY tour". Fair play to the guys, they certainly earned whatever they got.

After getting our pictures taken with John, we went for a bite to eat, and came back ready for the gig around 9pm, when the doors were due to open. Support came from local band Sorrowfall, and they were fucking fantastic. One of the best local acts I've seen yet. Very tight, and the lead guitarist was unbelievable. Makes me sick that he's only about 18. LOL.

The stage was cleared, the dry ice fired up, and the intro track played. What followed was 2 of the best hours of my life. All my favourites were played. Lessons Well Learned opened, followed by Pay Dirt and Reign of Fire. By that stage I was happy, but they just played on and on. With little talking they just ripped through track after track. They were one of the tightest bands I've ever seen live, and John certainly put his all into the performance, just as he did in his days with Anthrax. They finished with Mad House, and the place went crazy. Wasn't a rough gig, but a fantastic atmosphere, and an older crowd than what I've seen at shows recently. We were at the front throughout and plenty of band/audience participation went on. I was still buzzing this morning. Just everything about it was perfect.

It really does pain me to say it, but having supported Anthrax fron 1985, and being pro-Reunion from the start, I can't help wanting John back in his rightful place on the mic with Thrax. He really does put everything into every performance. Although, to be honest, if he turned down Anthrax in favour of giving Armored Saint another try, I wouldn't blame him. They seemed to enjoy every second of the night.

I'd love to see Saint come back for another tour. They were awesome.

I went home happy with a t-shirt, and both of their DVDs, A Trip Thru Red Times and Lessons Not Well Learned and some fantastic memories.

Here's the pic from our meeting with the great man. Hope this works.
DSCN0916-new.jpg

Just look out for a black tourbus, a left-hooker. Thats what they were in yesterday. ;) That, and the fact that we sat outside the bar for almost 2 hours before we met them. LMAO.

I'm sitting at home now watching the DVDs. Didn't relaise when I bought them, that they are both signed. LOL. If yer gonna buy any, get them early. When one of my mates went back after the gig, they were all out of CDs and DVDs.

I've met John twice and you will never meet a kinder more sweet person, rock star or not. Not surprised at all that he was so nice. Now I'm checking the Saint tour schedule...

sufferer said:
I've met John twice and you will never meet a kinder more sweet person, rock star or not. Not surprised at all that he was so nice. Now I'm checking the Saint tour schedule...

That's what surprised me. Once it was clear to him that we were going over to talk to us, rather than slink away, he met us halfway with an outstretched hand, and a friendly "hi guys, whats your names? where did you come from?". So friendly, and down to earth. Also very humble and thankful that we'd gone to the gig. I bought a shirt and two dvds at the gig. Anything I can do to help them out, as they seem to be putting so much into it themselves.