Armored Saint

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Bryant was pointing that lately we talk a lot about new releases and not too much about old school. I guess that part of the phenomena is that everybody takes for granted we all have heard the old school already and therefore there's no point in going over the subject.
In my case that will be wrong because I have discover a lot of old school in the last three years, mostly stuff I never paid attention in due time and/or didn't like it at the time and now I'm rediscovering it.

So I'm going to start with Armored Saint, a band who entire catalog (studio albums) I made in the last few months or so.

"March Of The Saint": got it used and cheap and discover a true jewel. The young quintet clad in leather and spikes and signed to a very bad label for metal delivered an astounding debut. Starting with the incredible 'March Of The Saint' the album goes to many great songs like 'Seducer', 'Mutiny On The World', 'Glory Hunter'. The band was naturally something to be taken serious speed metal bordering on soft thrash with lots of energy and good lyrics, not to mention the great voice of John Bush and a very young Joey Vera on bass that eventually reap more fame with Fates Warning.

"Delirious Nomad": actually I got their fourth album first, but I decided to got all so I'm posting here them in chronological order for the band. The second album is kind of dissapointing, for some weird reason the band turned into a quartet with Phin Sandoval leaving. The album caný live to the magic of the debut (and that's a curse of many bands) some stuff like 'Long Before I Die', 'Aftermath' and 'Conqueror' may stand, but in general terms the album is weak and disorganized.

"Raising Fear": the third album still can't make up to the debut, all and all is more solid that its predecessor. 'Raising Fear', 'Saturday Night Special (cover)', 'Chemical Euphoria', 'Human Vulture', 'Terror' gave the album more energy and cohesiviness. But I guess that the band wasn't cut to be a quartet.

"Symbol Of Salvation": 4 years later and amidst the most inimaginable cirmcunstances the band reverts back to a quintet with Phil Sandoval coming back and with Dave Pritchart leaving forever due to leukemia. The death of David "destroyed" spiritually the band, and even if Jeff Duncan came to fill the guitar slot, the band was much more mature and prepared at the time it seems Pritchard departure mark them forever. And incredible the album is the most solid effort since the debut. The songs one after another develops full of energy, melody and heaviness. 'Reign Of Fire', 'Dropping Like Flies', 'Tribal Dance' are instant faves, and 'Last Train Home', 'Hanging Judge', 'Warzone' and 'Spineless' (the closer) are also great tunes.
The album marked the end of the band for several years. John Bush went into Anthrax (a waste IMO), Joey Vera remained in Fates Warning and doing side projects and production, while Duncan, Phil and Gonzo (no idea :confused: ).

"Revelation": in 2000 the last line-up joint again in a very decent comeback. I was afraid to get it because Dave wasn't there anymore, but Jeff Duncan is a good guitar player and the band composition is still solid and powerful. 'Pay Dirt', 'The Pillar', 'Damaged' hit you instantly and 'After Me, The Flood' (catchy chorus), 'Deep Rooted Anger', 'Upon My Departure' left the listener with the need for more. The low point (for me) is 'No Me Digas'. Sorry but American singers trying to sing in Spanish is as horrible as heavy accented Spanish singers singing in English. I didn't like the song (nor 'Lo que Falto' by Taraxacum, nor the English songs of Azrael, etc), probably is Spanish wouldn't be my native tongue it won't bother me that much (or if it will be a bonus track).
Nevertheless this album left the fans with the need of new studio material, and after four years I guess we deserve more than compilations and DVDs, and so the band too, they are worth of more recognition.

Wyvern said:
The album marked the end of the band for several years. John Bush went into Anthrax (a waste IMO), Joey Vera remained in Fates Warning and doing side projects and production, while Duncan, Phil and Gonzo (no idea :confused: ).
Phil went to Life After Death and Gonzo also has his own band whose I can't remember the name.

Armored Saint's concert in Wacken 4 years ago is one of my best souvenirs ever, they really blew me away that night. I saw Anthrax live a few days ago, they were pretty good... but they're no Amored Saint.
I also think that "Revelation" does not pale in comparison with the older stuff, it's even slightly better than the 80s albums IMO. There's a reason to it, as some "new" songs were in fact written back in 1989...

My AS ranking :
1/ Symbol of Salvation
2/ Revelation
3/ March of the Saint
4/ Raising Fear
5/ Delirous Nomad

The live EP is called "Saint Will Conquer", I heard it but I didn't like it. I believe also it doesn't make justice to the band.

Oh yeh, Armored Saint rule. I love this band and have all their albums. In order from best to worst, for me, would go like this: Symbol Of Salvation, Raising Fear, March Of The Saint, Revelations, Delirious Nomad. But i like 'em all. Never did a bad album in their career.

I like Delirious Nomad. But AS never did that much for me. I don't know why.. I heard all their albums. They are solid, great vocalist, good songs and still I am not that crazy about them. Weird huh?

Well, thats the point, I played them a lot. I have been playing records in the Dynamo pub for over 10 year. I have heard them a zillion times. And I have seen them live at the Dynamo festival. If that is not enough, then what is?? :)

Hawk said:
I like Delirious Nomad. But AS never did that much for me. I don't know why.. I heard all their albums. They are solid, great vocalist, good songs and still I am not that crazy about them. Weird huh?

Thats how I feel about them I really do like em but I dont know they just dont really rock my world hahaha tho Revelations is incredible IMO

Love 'em! Do you guys remember the AS concert MTv showed in the 80's? It was the Hell On Wheels tour. They showed like 20 minutes of each band... AS, Helloween, and Grim Reaper. I still have it on VHS around here some where. :)

I never bought "Revelations" but I have "March of the Saint" and the awesome "Symbol of Salvation." Very good band. "Sound of White Noise" is the only Bush era Anthrax I think that can remotely compete with AS.

Bryant

If you liked "Symbol" Bryant, you will very likely bang your head like a maniac when you get "Revelation" as it's in a similar vein, many songs coming from the same era :)

Fangface said:
If you liked "Symbol" Bryant, you will very likely bang your head like a maniac when you get "Revelation" as it's in a similar vein, many songs coming from the same era :)
Agree. I was reluctant towards SOS, but after Fang recommend it (and I found it used cheap :D ) I gave it a try and worked really fine (excpet for what i already posted).

I think I´ll have to give Armored Saint´s albums some more listening, but every time I listen to them I start to think that the riffs start to sound the same after awhile....But nontheless it´s good quality metal.

The Law said:
I think I´ll have to give Armored Saint´s albums some more listening, but every time I listen to them I start to think that the riffs start to sound the same after awhile....But nontheless it´s good quality metal.
I understand what you are saying :) They are good. Very good, I hear that for sure. But I have the same problem as you. This damn ambivalence towards them. I don't know what causes that.