ART pre amp.... Are good products??

MatiaS

Musician
Dec 1, 2007
Santiago, Chile
Well here I am again... asking shits... ajajajaja

I want to know something about this pre-amps and another mic pre, from another companies.... because this "Marks" are not familiar to me because it don't be sell here in Chile.

So i want opinions about:

ART
Studio Projects
SM Pro Audio

In the economical tube pre-amp segment....

Which could be the best for the less ($$)

cheers!

I've heard and read really good things about the Studio Projects VTB-1. And I'm one of those waiting for the VTB-2, which should be released sooner or later (at least that's what the guys at Studio Projects have been saying for the last, uhm, 3 years...)

I use a little ART MP "tube" preamp - the super cheap one for direct recording bass guitar a lot. Seems to have a nice overdrive for bass guitar. I've also been known to use it for vocals and guitars, but I don't typically ever say that because the other kids laugh at me.

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

i have an ART MPA gold, and give it the thumbs up

good luck finding another dual-channel pre with as much flexibility/options for less than a grand

ok, it's interesting that you say about the MPA Gold.... for the bucks it's a really good option, If it's sounds like you said.

But here is my worry.... I have an Echo Audio Layla 3G, so I want a preamp better than the Layla's.... Is it the MPA GOLD better???

Thanks!

Cheers!

Someone could record somthing with the MPA Gold and upload here?.... Without signal process... just. your mic, to the pre and then to the pc.... better if you record a voice and an acoustic guitar

Thanks!

P.D: Post the equipment used to record.

check the acoustic guitar mic'ing thread in the production forum...the MPA gold was the preamp used on the track i posted. the mics and setup used is also pictured in there.

there was a little bit of EQ applied to the track, but nothing major...i rolled off the boomy low end, and added a touch of high end

Thanks again man!!!!

Someone elese???.... i want more audio samples of the MPA Gold... y want to hear a male voice recorded with that pre.

Cheers!

I've a pair of Tube MPs that I started on. I still use theme here and there, and nobody seems to complain. Swapped out the tube, made a few other minor tweaks, not a bad circuit to start with and it can be made into something pretty fucking good.

Jeff

the problem with that is the whole thing about it that is cool si that it can sound so many different ways, also replacing their cheap tubes with some normal ones also makes it sound like a whole different preamp. I guess if someone wanted to make samples of each notch on the impedence load knob it would be a fair sampling. I plan to never get rid of htis thing even if i get let's say avalons and such just because it has a lot of character.

That's, somehow, what I don't think of when I grab the one I played around with... I wanted something that didn't color the sound or add its own nonsense, and it has been able to do that too. Goddamn, these little boxes do everything.

Jeff

I have Art Tube MP Studio, it has good functionality - it can be used as DI and reamp box (it has unbalanced out that can be plugged to amp).
I think it modifies sound when used as DI, but I have nothing to compare to...
Currently I`m thinking of buing additional solidstate preamp from our local developer also with instrument input.
JBroll, what you modified in it?

I don't remember... if I were to go at it again I'd hard-wire battery clips instead of that awful AC adaptor (that'll cut noise like you wouldn't fucking believe), trimpot EVERYTHING (replace any resistor that looks important with a potentiometer of twice its value, taper of your choice, see what value sounds best and then put the appropriate resistor in), and use nicer caps. Also, putting a decent tube in will help somewhat - I went for Teslas, because that's what I got my hands on first, but most things will be an improvement over the cheapo Chinese things in there. The stock tubes on mine were a little odd, I'd consider using them as a clipping diode pair but not much else.

Jeff