Ashdown Fallen Angel 180???? Anyone?

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
So I was in my GC today picking up an Audix D6, and a strange tube amp caught my eye in the used section.... An Ashdown Fallen Angel FA180H.... They are selling it for $640 and it looks pristine.... I didn't have a chance to play it, but it looks promising... So I just looked online and see that they sell new for $1800? Should I grab this thing at that price? I really don't need another 180 watt head, but it seems like a good deal and a good amp to add to the arsenal, especially if I could make money selling it down the road... Anyone played one? What does it sound like? Can't find shit online about it

I've not used the 180 but I did try a 60 watt version once.

The gain sound is right inbetween Mesa and Marshall, sounds really good but the eq on the amp is completely fucked. No matter what I did it sounded REALLY bassy and muddy. I think you could get some good tones out of it either by modding the eq section or throwing an eq in the fx loop. Cleans were pretty nice too.

I have heard that Ashdowns are bad for blowing fuses all the time though. And that the FA is not designed with maintenance in mind (even the ashdown engineers hate it when they come in for repair)

I'd say it_'s in the same league as the Blue Voodoo

Yeah that sold me on it there.... That would explain why it's so cheap... Kinda surprising they actually sell these things for the price they charge, when you can get some pretty nice amps used for that price.... Or buy 3 5150's :heh:

Is this a guitar amp? I only think of Ashdown as a bass amp manufacturer. And if it's all-tube, what combo of power tubes will yield 180 watts? (and why would anyone EVER need it? :zombie: )

don't be confused between the lower end fallen angels and the 180W
It's a completely different beast.

Myself i've got one of the low end 60W all tube heads, and i'm hoping to do some modding on it soon coz as was mentioned above the EQ is completely fucked. For the money (£250 for head and 4x12, mail order from the horrendously named PMT or professional music technology) it was a steal though.

I say go try it out for certain, esp considering the low price

Is this a guitar amp? I only think of Ashdown as a bass amp manufacturer. And if it's all-tube, what combo of power tubes will yield 180 watts? (and why would anyone EVER need it? :zombie: )

Yeah it's a guitar amp. Six EL-34's or six 6L6's equate to approximately 180watts, just like the Herbert.

Oh yeah, I guess if you go by 30 watts per tube (rather than 25 watts like most amps claim, e.g. Rectifiers, Marshalls, Engls, etc.)

Oh yeah, I guess if you go by 30 watts per tube (rather than 25 watts like most amps claim, e.g. Rectifiers, Marshalls, Engls, etc.)

Well the Fireball operates at 30 watts per tube, too. (2 x 6L6s)

Anyway, it's an insane deal on a FA 180. I'd probably hit it...