New amp...

Dark Psychedelia

New Metal Member
May 12, 2008
Hey guys, I'm new here, so feel free to let me know if I've done anything wrong. I'm looking for a tube amp that has enough gain for brutal metal (doom, death, post-metal, etc.). I would not mind getting a used one, and I already have some in mind. I know the standard ones are usually 5150s, but I don't like their tone so much. I think they sound too generic. So I was wondering about some, but they might not have enough gain.

Ashdown Fallen Angel
Laney AOR Pro-Tube
Sovtek MIG

Any other suggestions would be welcomed, and if you are interested in selling gear, feel free to pitch an offer. I need to know if these have enough gain, and how versatile they are (decent cleans would be nice too). Also, I have a Boss ME-50, which I might be able to use if the amp falls just a bit short of gain. Thanks in advance for your help guys!

I know nothing about any of those amps, so I'm gonna recommend a Rectifier, Engl Savage/Blackmore/Fireball (in that order), Mesa Mark series, etc. etc.

The sovtek is basically a JCM 800.
the Laney is ok (not more IMO) and the Ashdown really sucks (attention: just my personal opinion, YMMV).
as MS has mentioned, try the Rectifier, Savage, Krank