'Ashen' bonus track from NITND Swedish Edition CD

I had long forgotten this forum, but now I have this cool topic.

Anyone had listened to this song?

I ask, because, being in Mexico, is quite "hard" to get a hand of import cd's.
Still, I managed to get mine, and...I'd say that the song is amazing.

I really wish that the band had taken the "Ashen" formula, into more of the album's songs.

I think the song is straight, short, melodic, strong and very catchy. - just the way swedish metal and katatonia songs should be :p

I still like the rest of the songs - "new night" and "longest year" being other of my favs, but I definitely think that the 'ASHEN' sound should had been more "used" in the whole album.

What do you think about this?

Thanks!

i think the songs harder to get into than the rest of them, first time I heard the first verse I was like . . . . "this doesn't even sound like Kata" I think the riff for the chorus is kinda TGCD sounding

I'm glad not all the songs sound like Ashen. What makes the new album so great is that there is so much variety on it, but it all flows so well. I wouldn't change anything on the album, except it would be cool if we can have some new B-sides in 2010! :)

i dunno, this melody in the background is just so simple, but yet so effective and it has an amazing cosmic feeling.

I got this song, though I couldn't get a limited ed. of the new album and in my opinion it's one of the best new songs - funny, exactly like all the other bonus tracks/b-sides from the previous album - Dissolving bonds, Displaced, Unfurl, Code against code or even Wait outside from the 'VE' period...

I think that "Ashen" will appeal more to fans of the "old" katatonia style.

I mean, it's clear that the band took a different, more melancholic, slower approach in this new album.

Ashen song sounds more like the viva emptiness times...more "heavy".

I think that's what I start to miss.

I also liked more the "my twin" EP than even the whole "great cold distance" album :p

For example, in the JULY EP, the song Unfurl is also one of my top favorites.

i bought the swedish edition for this reason alone. I love it sometimes more than the other tracks on the cd. same way about some of the b-sides.

I think Ashen is a great song. I don't necessarily think the album needed more tracks like it, but I would have preferred that the album contain this song (instead of it being used as a bonus track). I find it a better song then Nephilim or The Promise Of Deceit.