ASIO4ALL question

Ryan Mac

New Metal Member
Feb 21, 2006
So I just finished building my first DIY electronic drum kit. I am running Kontakt 3 with Steven Slate samples and it works and sounds great. Usually, I do all my music related stuff on another computer but for this I am using my laptop because the kit is gonna be set up in another room. On my "music computer", I am very familiar with how to switch ASIO settings and all that good stuff to do whatever I need to do but I'm having trouble figuring it out on my laptop.

I downloaded ASIO4ALL to run Kontakt but my question is this: Am I able to play 2 audio applications at the same time? I am trying to play my edrums while listening to mp3s so I can jam to them but the asio driver seems to only support 1 application at a time. Anybody know how to get around this? Is this an issue with a setting on the asio driver or is my soundcard the problem? I'm sure its a very simple solution....in fact I recall doing something similar to this on my old computer years ago but instead of giving myself anymore headaches over it I thought I would ask you fine gentlemen if you had any knowledge on the subject.

You are unable to play two audio applications at the same time using ASIO, but you shouldn't have a problem if you use ASIO in Kontakt and windows WMA (edit:WDM sorry) drivers or Direct X drivers in another audio application (I assume your on windows since your using ASIO4ALL). I have no trouble using cubase w/ASIO and running Winamp at the same time.

You'll just have to make sure the audio app your using to play the mp3's is not set to ASIO and you should be fine. Otherwise i guess you can use Kontakt in a DAW and import an mp3 into the session.

Thanks guys. I will check all my settings again and hopefully get this working. I'm gonna update all my drivers....maybe theirs just some weird conflict on my system. I appreciate the input.

I get this too.. although I can open, say iTunes and Windows Media Player and they both play fine. This only applies to my DAW.. if I want any sound from that I have to close all other audio programs. If you get a fix, please post it.

Will do Morgoe. The ASIO4ALL website says that it's impossible to use it for 2 audio programs at once but I think it is. Maybe its not designed to do it but, like I said earlier, I have done it before and apparently other people have no problem doing it as well so I will continue to try and figure it out and I'll let you know if if I do.