Asking Alexandria - Reckless and Relentless

steveW88

Feb 20, 2011
From tracks like Morte et Dabo I can pretty much guess that the production will be superior to Stand Up...What with all the layered synths and all. The vocal processing is pretty nice too.

It drops tomorrow and cannot wait to hear it! Anybody else excited?

The whole album is very cohesive and sounds like on super long song (in a good way), but I gotta say I prefer the "Breathless" recording on their EP rather than the album version (it almost sounds like it was recorded twice, and there are some added parts, but I'm not entirely sure).
Great album though. "A Lesson Never Learned" and "To the Stage" are definitely worth checking out.

Yea this cd is bad ass just got it off itunes, n i can't wait to listen to this in my car tomorrow and headbang the shit of it all the wayyy to wooorrkkk!!!!!

I just bought the CD today, but i have to say, i like their previous recordings better. it seems like a lot of things are clashing with each other in this one. the guitars aren't as distinct and neither are the vocals. I have two 12" subs in my car i have low passed just for the bass drum but i couldn't hear any vocals with it on, unlike their previous CD. but don't get me wrong the music is absolutely ridiculous in the one. seems they've grown quite a bit.

EDIT: hah i just realized Vinny said pretty much the same thing

This one was kindnof a let down as well as it was kinda good. I was let down by the fact that the songs weren't nowhere near as heavy as in stand up and scream. Though It has A darker feel to it.

It's missing the catchyness and originality in the cleans. Like stand up and scream had.
Growls might be superior but i preffered the high screams in the previous.
This one has too much bmth style screaming also.

Production is top notch as usual. I love and hate the guitar tone. I mean like. It's perfect but at times it's even too crunchy.

Drums sound amazing. Might be the best drumsound from sturgis yet.

One thing i absolutely loved was the riff in "recless and rentless". Somewhere in the middle if i remember correctly. Didn't expect that from aa and i fell in love with that part.

This one was kindnof a let down as well as it was kinda good. I was let down by the fact that the songs weren't nowhere near as heavy as in stand up and scream. Though It has A darker feel to it.

It's missing the catchyness and originality in the cleans. Like stand up and scream had.
Growls might be superior but i preffered the high screams in the previous.
This one has too much bmth style screaming also.

Wow, im totally in the opposite lane with this album.
I thought stand up and scream was really uninspiring and boring, with only a few hooks once in a while (and the songs dident really feel heavy).

His cleans is also IMO so much better .

I really Reckless and Relentless and it changed my view of asking alexandria as a band.

So good job Sturgis and co. :D

I think I may hear a little pumping...hmmm
I love it though. Clean vocals are kinda buried too

Personally, I don't think the album is as good as 'Stand Up and Scream', but I think overall the production is awesome, especially on the drums. I love AA, but I think they'd be such a better band if they did have all the gay techno bits in, I mean, the strings are fine and give some good layering, but it just seems they have attempted to be like Enter Shikari and kinda failed.

Oh, and Joey's found out how to use the slow down/ pitch bend tool too, as it's like included in every track haha:loco:

I've listened to this record for about 5 times or more and i can't remember a single clen vocal melody. So to me they're not catchy at all. It has gotten better since the first time i heard it. So maybe it'll grow a bit more.

I still find the energy in the previous better.

I was just expecting a heavier album when they released morte et dabo. That song might be the heaviest in the album.Don't get me wrong. This is a good album and all bur i was just let down by all the rock'n'roll it has.

I'm starting to digg this album. Takes several listens though. The intro is a killer. BUT i still have problems with the clean vocal melodies, rock'n'roll vocals and oliver sykes vocals. Other than that this is starting to sound pretty damn good.

i've noticed a recent trend in joey's newer stuff. it's thicker and darker and more complex, but this results in everything being less defined than before. such as how people are saying the vocals are buried etc.

I really like where he's been going. The new Attack Attack was a lot thicker and darker. While still retaining some of that signature Joey style.
Just go compare Stick Stickly to Smokahontas.
I know it also has to do with song writing.... but the production has way more depth IMO

I think the album is what it is... An Asking Alexandria album... Some parts are heavy some parts are not and some songs are more metal than others. With that said Asking Alexandria is not a metal band they are a hardcore band which is very different. Secondly this is their second full length and the band is still evolving, still finding their identity which usually takes a couple years. The band is still fairly young they've only been together for a shot time. Finally, the production on this album is amazing, so good job joey, and I thought this was a production forum not a place where you can say whether you like or do not like a bands album but rather the production that went into the creating and capturing of the music which ultimately resulted in the album.

If you don't like it don't buy it and if your going to whine about the vocal melodies or the rock n roll type songs thats cool just dont post that BS here...

Thats all

Have a nice day

I think the album is what it is... An Asking Alexandria album... Some parts are heavy some parts are not and some songs are more metal than others. With that said Asking Alexandria is not a metal band they are a hardcore band which is very different. Secondly this is their second full length and the band is still evolving, still finding their identity which usually takes a couple years. The band is still fairly young they've only been together for a shot time. Finally, the production on this album is amazing, so good job joey, and I thought this was a production forum not a place where you can say whether you like or do not like a bands album but rather the production that went into the creating and capturing of the music which ultimately resulted in the album.

If you don't like it don't buy it and if your going to whine about the vocal melodies or the rock n roll type songs thats cool just dont post that BS here...

Thats all

Have a nice day

What is this I don't even ..

Thats all

Have a nice day

1350d1234807402-frameworks-captain-obvious-8-finished.jpg

other than that... this album is incredible!!! ...the production effects are cutting EDGE!

1350d1234807402-frameworks-captain-obvious-8-finished.jpg

other than that... this album is incredible!!! ...the production effects are cutting EDGE!

Discussing whether or not members like the vocal melodies and/or rock n roll type performances...

Doesn't belong in this thread...

However if you have some insight to the production of the album and/or questions pertaining to the production of this album then post away...

Do you get the point now captain obvious?

god.. his cleans are the best ive heared in a while (in this kind of music).. just one word 80's!
i think nobody should criticize them. i really like their rock'n'roll influences, they finally put something new into the hardcore-"scene".

awesome work joey. though in my opinion the leads could be much much more powerful, because you can barely hear them at most time.
i like your new, kinda "raw" sound on the guitars.. drums are sick as well :)

thumps up for AA + Joey!