Asking Alexandria - Reckless and Relentless

thanks! i would say i probably contributed about 50%. i changed quite a bit of song structure, drums, guitar riffs, guitar leads, wrote all the bass and keys, and had many instructions for the vocal production (my engineer recorded the vocals in a different location using the same gear).

the radio song was more like 65% me

Jesus! 50%, i know thats common these days but jesusss. i would like to hear a 100% joey sturgis hardcore album. can you imagine?!? hahah

BTW, i think a lot of people, including me, thought or think the vocals were "buried" so to speak, because if you put it up against Stand up and Scream, which the vocals are very dominant in the mix, they do seem lower in comparison. But if you put into consideration they're two separate mixes the vocals start to sound fine. in other words basically EXPECTING them to be louder because of the previous album. lol thats just how i thought about it after my 4th time listening to the album.

Awesome work joey.

thanks! i would say i probably contributed about 50%. i changed quite a bit of song structure, drums, guitar riffs, guitar leads, wrote all the bass and keys, and had many instructions for the vocal production (my engineer recorded the vocals in a different location using the same gear).

the radio song was more like 65% me

thanks joey...

50% i figured somewhere between 40 and 50 but that's a lot... Im assuming that for your services you than charged a flat-rate or is this one of those instances when you take a percentage of album sales?

In this instance how exactly did the intro and outro to the album come about?

which is amazing by the way and thanks for the screen shot's which are amazing to look at while listening to the portion of the song...

finally would you say that is a common thing for you to do is write most of the keys for bands that come to you?

these drums sound great, are they programmed? if not then they seem edited perfect to the grid unless he's a super tight drummer!

The vocals become more buried the louder you listen to the mix.
This seems to reoccuring with some of Joey's newer works from what I've noticed.
I believe this may stem from the fact his mixes seem louder when listened to on lower levels.
Seems like an audio illusion. But as you turn down the mix the vocals come back into the mix more.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is what I'm observing completely wrong?

The vocals become more buried the louder you listen to the mix.
This seems to reoccuring with some of Joey's newer works from what I've noticed.
I believe this may stem from the fact his mixes seem louder when listened to on lower levels.
Seems like an audio illusion. But as you turn down the mix the vocals come back into the mix more.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is what I'm observing completely wrong?

this is true.

Love the new album! Production-wise and writing-wise aswell. Nothing wrong with the vocal volume IMO. But there's one thing I don't like... The orchestra-part in "A Lesson Never Learned" is way to loud and seems very out of place to me. Maybe you think different about that...that's just my oppinion!

But exept for that it's a great album! Better than Stand up and Scream. :p

Jan [MTW];9756366 said:
Love the new album! Production-wise and writing-wise aswell. Nothing wrong with the vocal volume IMO. But there's one thing I don't like... The orchestra-part in "A Lesson Never Learned" is way to loud and seems very out of place to me. Maybe you think different about that...that's just my oppinion!

But exept for that it's a great album! Better than Stand up and Scream. :p

i made it loud as hell because i love it. i wrote it =D

The chorus is awesome !!

Congrats for this album Joey :D

Do you use the typical pod->diamondplate for guitars ? it's sound more crunchy than before.

The chorus is awesome !!

Do you use the typical pod->diamondplate for guitars ? it's sound more crunchy than before.

There are actually better amps on in Pod Farm 2 then the usual... what also contributed to the that its crunchier is the albums tuning which was Drop C

The chorus is awesome !!

I think anything now 'POD' related, Joey refuses to answer, but I'd be interested if he used the same setup for guitars aswell.

I've taken into consideration he was maybe sick, or nervous.. but I just checked out the video of them playing Someone, Somewhere on Jimmy Kimmel and on some show for Fuel TV and they can not pull off the singing for that song live. They didn't even sing the last two lines of the first verse...

I've taken into consideration he was maybe sick, or nervous.. but I just checked out the video of them playing Someone, Somewhere on Jimmy Kimmel and on some show for Fuel TV and they can not pull off the singing for that song live. They didn't even sing the last two lines of the first verse...

That Sucks :( the vocals do sound really hard to pull off live, allot of full out singing for long periods in the songs. Hope they work it out for live.

Unfortunately Danny is usually like that, I've seen them live 3 times and he never hits notes anywhere close as the actual albums, he's gotten better over the shows I've seen them at, but I wouldn't doubt that he's pretty drunk by the time they go on stage. He's even said that himself, plus it's obvious with what happened in Seattle. Still love them to death though, the energy they put off still makes for a great show.

Just watched that. It's a shame Danny can't pull off the cleans live. He has such a great voice but hitting the right notes seems to be really hard most of the time. The live mixing wasn't too great either. The vocals seemed to be a bit.. umm.. alone? But I'd rather hear the artist actually sing than lipsync. No matter if it's out of tune. It's all about the feeling.

EDIT: Closure had a better feeling!

The vocals seem to get buried in the mix all the time. But that's not Dannys fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but the guy's been in a really rough spot lately. If I were in his position I'd be nowhere near as good as him there.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPT7nntcTc&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I think this is a pretty damn fine performance and vocals in the final breakdown are fantastic. (Obviously I'm talking about the Kimmel performance).

Also what kind of an audience does Jimmy Kimmel attract? Is it a young one? Or is it the American equivalent of Jonathan Ross or something.