Asking Alexandria - Reckless and Relentless

+1

Almost every recent live video I have seen they have been using 6505 heads (they took off the logos though...). Looks like they use Peavey cabs too now, but I've also seen them use Marshall and Mesa cabs.

from touring a decent amount and whatnot I would have to say that bigger tours like the ones they are on all share cabs and swap heads per band. that way the tour sound guy doesnt have to go up and re-mic the cab 8 times in a night.

often the opening touring bands also share drumsets

I think that if he had some vocal lessons and learned how to control his voice, he would be much better. He doesn't know how to use it very well, I mean he does have a good voice, no point of having a gun if you don't know how to shoot it.

Regarding the "car listening issue" - am I the only freak who took the time to compensate the panning issue by tweaking panning and fad in my car to make my seat the listening "sweet spot"? -.-

My car has stereo, 3 CH (center speaker) and Dolby 5 one. I like the Dolby the best. It does bass freq from rear speakers, time compensated plus the center speaker sounds really good. The center is a mix of L&R.

On Danny's vox I like his tone and I've always like the brit style. Versatile too. Young singer you get better. Coaching would be a good thing and quickly - just to preserve vocal chords. That touring schedule is pretty hard and smoking, drinking is hard on the voice. Most people like the sound of gravel (e.g. Springsteen, etc) but that is the sound of damaged chords. You have to approach singing like an athlete.

Training, practice, warm-up being relaxed not straining, work from the diaphragm. Lots of scales a hummmmm. A least that is what I did for a year with the girlz at the singing school. they took care of me when we was gigging in TO.

Wow, im totally in the opposite lane with this album.
I thought stand up and scream was really uninspiring and boring, with only a few hooks once in a while (and the songs dident really feel heavy).

His cleans is also IMO so much better .

I really Reckless and Relentless and it changed my view of asking alexandria as a band.

So good job Sturgis and co. :D

+1

Hey,

I'm doing a cover of 'Closure' by Asking Alexandria for an assignment and i'm trying to get the same, or as close to the same synth tone as Joey uses.
Im using Logic, and I also have a microKORG available.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Niall

try refx nexus - *patch = dance leads - "come with me 1"

go to "mod" and turn portamento on 1/64 - on "ply"

then turn down the delay and reverb and automate and lowpass filter sweep.

dddddddone! ;)

Just wondering how Joey got the guitars and bass to sound the way they do on Asking Alexandria's Reckless and Relentless album or even Stand Up and Scream. Both albums are super clean and heavy. The best of both worlds. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on how to achieve this sound in terms of eq and compression etc.

If you are using an Amp sim like Pod farm, you really need to do a lot of surgical cuts to get rid of hiss and make the tone cleaner. It's usually in the 5k Hz area but it can be from 2k-15k Hz so you have to use your ears and find all the nasty stuff.

Someone posted on here that Joey made an in depth post about eq and compression but I've googled it and searched the forum but haven't found anything. I found similar things for Andy Sneap and other producers with their eq and compression 'philosophy' I guess you would call it and they were really helpful. If there is such a post I think it should be stickied because it would be very helpful and keep people from asking the same questions.

I am really interested in the sound from the Reckless and Relentless album specifically though. Production wise, that album is flawless in my opinion and I would really like to gain an understanding of how to get this sound. Not to copy, but to become a better producer and have the knowledge.

Imho, I don't think Joey's guitar tone are that special, it's his overall mix that makes everything sound really good together. If you have a good DI-signal and a nice guitar with the proper setup you can't really go wrong. Quantization (maybe spelled it wrong) is also very important to the sound, it may be boring as fuck but if you wan't to get close to the Asking Alexandria sound you need to do it.

Imho, I don't think Joey's guitar tone are that special, it's his overall mix that makes everything sound really good together. If you have a good DI-signal and a nice guitar with the proper setup you can't really go wrong. Quantization (maybe spelled it wrong) is also very important to the sound, it may be boring as fuck but if you wan't to get close to the Asking Alexandria sound you need to do it.

I agree. and he even admits it. I read an interview somewhere where he said that most people would hate the guitar tone during recording. It's mastering where he makes everything shine.