asshole sent me a broken CD.

Harleyy

smudged corpse paint
May 15, 2018
I ordered a copy of Follow the Reaper on eBay for like $10 and the seller lied about the condition, disc literally came with a crack in it. Tracks 8-11 wouldn't play, case was shitty, missing stuff from the booklet and wrong art inside the case. Honestly I blame myself for buying it from a shady looking description, still pissed about it though. /:

I ordered a copy of Follow the Reaper on eBay for like $10 and the seller lied about the condition, disc literally came with a crack in it. Tracks 8-11 wouldn't play, case was shitty, missing stuff from the booklet and wrong art inside the case. Honestly I blame myself for buying it from a shady looking description, still pissed about it though. /:

Why not just buy from Amazon?

Reactions: PrincessHades
Unfortunately CD as a format is pretty inconvenient and outdated. Both the disc and the case are made out of ugly plastic that's very easy to break. The disc has a very limited space on it and the players are leaving the market. Why would they stay, I mean, do people still go to their cd collection and insert it in a cd player to listen to music?

I basically no longer have a way to import my music from my CDs so they just lay there. Either of my laptops doesn't have a cd mechanic, I don't remember the last time I've seen a walkman.

Recently I've been buying some music in mp3s from this czech classical music label and it's really quick and convenient, compared to paying for stupid fucking post (rant about post costs would fit the beer thread more, about that later).

I started wondering about what I'm going to do when I need to get some music out of a cd and it will be impossible to download from anywhere. I will have to go to some old pawn shop and ask an old geezer behind the counter "hey, I have this archaic disc here, do you know about a device that can possibly read the data?" and the guy will be like "ooohhhh, a compact disc, I don't have the device but I can give you this hand-drawn map of the old-town. Follow the map and you will find an elven kingdom where they can help you."

On a serious note, after buying a few thousand CDs, I don’t really recommend buying super readily available CDs used. From experience, the more popular the band, the more chance the cd is mistreated. I’ve been sent CDs with wavy booklets stuck together with mystery fluid, CDs that look like they were attacked with a scouring pad, smoke cured CDs and on one particularly gross occasion, an Amon Amarth digipak with a cigarette butt stuck inside.

For big label releases, I’d almost always recommend Amazon or importcds/deep discount

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Children-of-...162568&hash=item21181b1656:g:0ecAAOSwnF9Y7DIJ

New for $9, don’t have to worry about what the previous owner did to it.

Reactions: Harleyy
On a serious note, after buying a few thousand CDs, I don’t really recommend buying super readily available CDs used. From experience, the more popular the band, the more chance the cd is mistreated. I’ve been sent CDs with wavy booklets stuck together with mystery fluid, CDs that look like they were attacked with a scouring pad, smoke cured CDs and on one particularly gross occasion, an Amon Amarth digipak with a cigarette butt stuck inside.

For big label releases, I’d almost always recommend Amazon or importcds/deep discount

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Children-of-...162568&hash=item21181b1656:g:0ecAAOSwnF9Y7DIJ

New for $9, don’t have to worry about what the previous owner did to it.
Ah thank you! Also sorry about your wacky CD experiences. Lmao

Unfortunately CD as a format is pretty inconvenient and outdated. Both the disc and the case are made out of ugly plastic that's very easy to break. The disc has a very limited space on it and the players are leaving the market. Why would they stay, I mean, do people still go to their cd collection and insert it in a cd player to listen to music?

While true, CDs still hold significance as the only physically collectible form of digital media. I would think that most people who still buy CDs are probably only doing so for their media collection. They also still provide the only way to get a digital copy of select albums (older) that cannot be obtained legitimately otherwise. Some people still listen to physical CDs, mostly in cars I would presume, though personally I usually keep CDs for archival/collective purposes only these days.

I basically no longer have a way to import my music from my CDs so they just lay there. Either of my laptops doesn't have a cd mechanic, I don't remember the last time I've seen a walkman.

USB CD drives can be had for as cheap as the price of the average CD and are easily obtainable. They are still even making new models to reflect OS and hardware changes such as USB 3.0 and such.

Recently I've been buying some music in mp3s from this czech classical music label and it's really quick and convenient, compared to paying for stupid fucking post (rant about post costs would fit the beer thread more, about that later).

I hate paying for mp3s because they are a compressed form of the final digital release. Makes me feel like im getting ripped off, especially considering how easy storage space is to obtain. An audiophile concern perhaps, but wouldnt you rather buy an original piece of art than a pixelated print of the same work? When buying digital media I prefer to get the lossless form if given the option.

I started wondering about what I'm going to do when I need to get some music out of a cd and it will be impossible to download from anywhere. I will have to go to some old pawn shop and ask an old geezer behind the counter "hey, I have this archaic disc here, do you know about a device that can possibly read the data?" and the guy will be like "ooohhhh, a compact disc, I don't have the device but I can give you this hand-drawn map of the old-town. Follow the map and you will find an elven kingdom where they can help you."

lol

Yea, CDs are definitely on the way out. The only people I know who actually buy them are enthusiasts, and most people dont even bother with downloads when they can just stream instead. Digital downloads are definitely the future for enthusiasts, but I imagine that CDs will stay around (at least in the underground scenes) for quite a while still.

Reactions: Harleyy