Counterfeit Metal albums on eBay and other online stores

I mostly by from sellers who are in the US and Canada, and I always check out everything before bidding.

Same here.

And this is a very helpful thread. Thanks to the person who made it and everyone posting their contributions. There isn't a whole lot we can do to stop these people from selling fakies so to at least warn others about shady sellers is the best thing to do.

Graveland - Thousand Swords (New and bought from Deathgasm on eBay. Worth noting because the text "Thousand Swords" on the front cover is silver)

I bought a Temnozor and Nokturnal Mortum CD from Deathgasm and they both look and sound completely authentic. If they are fakes they are damn good ones.
On the other hand I bought some Bathory, Cradle of Filth and Metallica CD's that were from France and Russia... I don't know if those are the real thing or not but they sound identical to the standard versions... only the packaging was slightly different. It didn't say anything about Import versions, et al in the descriptions when I ordered them.
I have bought a few Slayer shirts that I'm pretty damn sure are fake though... they looked very real in the images online on EBay but when I got them they look suspicious. But they were cheap and I can give a few away as presents since I haven't worn a couple of them so... no biggie.

That Graveland album has been released with four different covers. You just got the most recent pressing from No Colours.

theres a lot of it going round, i got a fake version of an exhorder album recently as well as the sarcofago back catelogue, can't fault them like, i mean theyre impossible to find, so at least someones printing them even if its not all above board etc

I bought a Temnozor and Nokturnal Mortum CD from Deathgasm and they both look and sound completely authentic.

I'm not doubting you but here's a quote that's been really bothering me from Metal-Archives' forum:

Wrath_Of_War said:
Stone69 said:
deathgasm
These guys sold me a bootleg Obeisance CD! Their guitarist told me himself that it's bootlegged. That makes me mad.

I'm not doubting you but here's a quote that's been really bothering me from Metal-Archives' forum:

well i'll avoid them then... but the cd's i bought look as authentic as it gets really... i'd be shocked if they were fakes

Graveland - Thousand Swords (New and bought from Deathgasm on eBay. Worth noting because the text "Thousand Swords" on the front cover is silver)
I know this cover is not on Metal Archives, but it looks pretty legit. If not, it's the best looking bootleg I've ever seen. Besides, why would anyone who went to the trouble of reproducing every other aspect of the packing perfectly screw up something so obvious as the title on the front cover? The most reasonable explanation is that this is a reissue from '06 or '07 that didn't make it onto M-A. I bought mine within the year. It's clear that in the past No Colours made changes to differentiate the presses.

I can't speak for this seller on any other counts, but I'd feel confident this album is ok.

I know this cover is not on Metal Archives, but it looks pretty legit. If not, it's the best looking bootleg I've ever seen. Besides, why would anyone who went to the trouble of reproducing every other aspect of the packing perfectly screw up something so obvious as the title on the front cover? The most reasonable explanation is that this is a reissue from '06 or '07 that didn't make it onto M-A. I bought mine within the year. It's clear that in the past No Colours made changes to differentiate the presses.

I can't speak for this seller on any other counts, but I'd feel confident this album is ok.

Yeah, I think you're right. The matrix on that one and the Celtic Winter album I bought from Deathgasm are very convincing too.