Assistance with Growling

PhlegethonVeins

Autopsy Obsessed
May 3, 2005
WI
I have been developing my 'growl' for a couple years now. I pretty much have it sounding like I want it on a day that I am drinking the right amount of water.

I was wondering though, does anyone know any practice teqniques that I could use to help me hold a growl for a longer period of time?

And for recording purposes, I only have a mic that came with my POS mr-8 and it doesnt pick up really well period, much less for growling. The only way with that mic that I have found to get much of any low end through is to cup it so the sound doesnt escape...but as we all know that results in another problem with the vocals not sounding right and them overriding other tracks. So, does anyone know of a fairly cheap mic I could purchase that works particularly good with death metal vocals?

Thank you!

Tumn said:
Just keep doing it if you want to increase your stamina!

I know I was just wondering if there were any certain excersizes anyone knew of that are especially good for stamina.

And a good mic people...THATS WHAT I REALLY NEED! Anyone know of any?

well, I practice my growl by walking two miles while growling along to Opeth, Bloodbath, Old Katatonia, October Tide, etc. and then for studio, I use a Shure SM58... but I'd reccommend either a real studio mic or a SM58 Dynamic.

Jinn said:
well, I practice my growl by walking two miles while growling along to Opeth, Bloodbath, Old Katatonia, October Tide, etc. and then for studio, I use a Shure SM58... but I'd reccommend either a real studio mic or a SM58 Dynamic.

Thankyou, yeah I practice along with Opeth, Bloodbath, Ribspreader...pretty much anything that has death vox and I know the lyrics too.

Yeah I looked at that mic on musiciansfriend. 100 bucks was around what I wanted to spend, so yes, thank you.

aye, no problem, glad to help a fellow growler. :)

and to answer your sustaining growl question: work on your cardio. also, work on achieving a growl without wasting a lot of air. Growls can be quiet... that's why we invented volume knobs. :)

Jinn said:
aye, no problem, glad to help a fellow growler. :)

and to answer your sustaining growl question: work on your cardio. also, work on achieving a growl without wasting a lot of air. Growls can be quiet... that's why we invented volume knobs. :)

Yeah I need to work on having the right volume while growling, right now for recording for it to come through at all I need to do it fairly loud because of my shity mic. Thats probably why I tend not to preserve alot of air.

Jinn said:

A question - where do you go to practice? I live in NYC, so it's hard for me to find a place to get some peace and practice growls. That and my growls need to be pretty loud now to sound good (working on that), so It's hard to get any practice in.

mylovedenied said:
A question - where do you go to practice? I live in NYC, so it's hard for me to find a place to get some peace and practice growls. That and my growls need to be pretty loud now to sound good (working on that), so It's hard to get any practice in.

I really am only able to practice while home alone. I really dont know were you would go to do that...I have plenty of trouble with that myself and I live in a really small town.

PhlegethonVeins said:
Yeah I need to work on having the right volume while growling, right now for recording for it to come through at all I need to do it fairly loud because of my shity mic. Thats probably why I tend not to preserve alot of air.
Same here.

Sing and breathe from the abdomen. Before you open your mouth, be sure your belly is out and tensioned. This requieres regular practice.
Actually it's just like regular singing, only you'll be cooler.

PhlegethonVeins said:
I have been developing my 'growl' for a couple years now. I pretty much have it sounding like I want it on a day that I am drinking the right amount of water.

I was wondering though, does anyone know any practice teqniques that I could use to help me hold a growl for a longer period of time?

And for recording purposes, I only have a mic that came with my POS mr-8 and it doesnt pick up really well period, much less for growling. The only way with that mic that I have found to get much of any low end through is to cup it so the sound doesnt escape...but as we all know that results in another problem with the vocals not sounding right and them overriding other tracks. So, does anyone know of a fairly cheap mic I could purchase that works particularly good with death metal vocals?

Thank you!
http://www.melissacross.com

Get the 'Zen Of Screaming' DVD.

Jinn said:
Bah, that's if you want to sound like Lamb of God or Atreyu

True GROWLS cannot be explained in a DVD.

Not on any DVD made thus far.

A few of you seemed to of only read the title of my thread and not everything said...I am quite satisfied with my growl, and I know how to growl, I just want to be able to hold it longer. And the mainly wanted to find a good mic.

Jinn said:
Bah, that's if you want to sound like Lamb of God or Atreyu

True GROWLS cannot be explained in a DVD.

Actually that dvd covers the breathing part mostly.
Which is very much needed if you dont wanna blow out your voice until your 30 :)

And is pretty much what you where looking for Phleg.

Oh btw. I use a Genesis GC-1 kondensator mic for everything, Sounds great and is fairly cheap. :)

A few of you seemed to of only read the title of my thread and not everything said...I am quite satisfied with my growl, and I know how to growl, I just want to be able to hold it longer. And the mainly wanted to find a good mic.

I do it from my chest rather than my throat and can usually hold it for about 15/20 secs. Listen to my roar here. Ignore the song, just what i sound like. www.myspace.com/affinityband