Growling question (surprise surprise)

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
Hey guys, im 17, i've been growling for about a year, and mine sounds pretty killer now (i'll probably post a recording of me growling to cry my name later today)

But heres the thing, will growling naturally affect your normal singing voice? cuz it seems to be doing that to me, but i dont know if its the growling that affecting it or something else.

probably you force too much your throat and you hurt it... You use to much air to growl, that produce small lacerations on your throat, that's why you lose your voice, usually it takes a few days to recover your normal voice...

Warm up your voice before to sing and don't drink anything that have milk before to perform (Chocolates for an example... These products cause a mucous membrane that cover your vocal cords)... drink cold water... don't smoke and don't drink coffee... That's only to keep your throat healthful...

It's not so easy to be a singer :)!!!!

And there's already a thread about this...

Doesn't do that to me. Then again, I dont sing much...except for musicals, but that's another story :loco: .

However, after a practice one time my voice acted weird for a while (I was mixing high "screams" and growls). So yep, that was completely un-constructive.

BastardSonOfGod said:
I don't know... but that hurts your throat a lot... (How you know that he drinks coffee right before a perform????)

My friends had a coffee with him when they came to toronto lol, and he smokes malboro lights

SuperjointRitual said:
Go here:

http://www.melissacross.com/home.php

http://www.melissacross.com/voice_lesson_testimonials.php?

I have read her tips on death metal vocals somewhere and she is right on the money... I will have to find her comments. She also has an instructional DVD, but I don't know if it covers death metal.

Here's a 17 minute NPR interview with her:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5043994

The link is at the top.

So what the woman is saying to us that you have to make the sound with the upper thingy of your troath? Am I correct?

Flal said:
Mike smokes.....and drinks coffee....even right before a concert....how does he do it?

In an interview(last year I think)he said he quit smoking.

hmm, that interwiev made me realise i use exclusivly my false chords when growl, both for high cof style and bloodbath...
it´s kinda hard to get down in the mike registre with that tecnique, but it doesn´t hurt at all..

wonder if it´s the same tecnique mike uses

tägtgren just rips it, you can easily hear that... he is brutal
he was on some swedish rock show a couple of weeks ago and tried to learn 2 nerds how to growl, pretty funny!

bogii said:
he was on some swedish rock show a couple of weeks ago and tried to learn 2 nerds how to growl, pretty funny!

Shit i want to see that so bad. Remember what show it was and what episode?
Rundgång maybe?

bogii said:

Damn, I'd love to see that.