black/death vocal techniques...huh?

I can do some vocals...mostly power metal vocals. I'm a pretty "vocal" person, always screaming at the top of my lungs and such...and one day at a practice, my friends decided to play painkiller, and I sang it, a lot more high pitched than halford...but it's all the energy I have in me.

Hitting high C notes can be a fucking bitch on your throat, but it all gets better in due time...I'm sure this goes for all music: sing with your diaphram thingie, not your throat. Use your throat to "control" the notes.

well ok, i've been snging for a few years now so i dont want to be a dick but i got some shit to say... for one milk=BAD it coats ur vocal cords n makes it harder to sing, use honey or just drink water, dont smoke coz it dry out ur vocal cords n makes them break easyer,the pain is them breaking.
other ways to see if ur doing it all right is to do motor boats till it hurts ur gut, or going "ssssss....ect" an pushing it out. try listening to a bunch of different bands to see what sound u want. try singing along. first learn clean singing techniques, then move on to rock or metal, then go death or black... take some of soultorns tips. if it hurts its bad, if it only hurts a little its ok, but dont push it, i practice 3 nights a week n after a while ur voice box gets stronger but only if u let it heal.
but good luck man, :kickass: :kickass: :headbang:

well ok, i've been snging for a few years now so i dont want to be a dick but i got some shit to say... for one milk=BAD it coats ur vocal cords n makes it harder to sing, use honey or just drink water, dont smoke coz it dry out ur vocal cords n makes them break easyer,the pain is them breaking.
other ways to see if ur doing it all right is to do motor boats till it hurts ur gut, or going "ssssss....ect" an pushing it out. try listening to a bunch of different bands to see what sound u want. try singing along. first learn clean singing techniques, then move on to rock or metal, then go death or black... take some of soultorns tips. if it hurts its bad, if it only hurts a little its ok, but dont push it, i practice 3 nights a week n after a while ur voice box gets stronger but only if u let it heal.
but good luck man, :kickass: :kickass: :headbang:

i can get a really good cannibal corpsish nile sounding growl but its really quiet right now. but i just started so im guessing it will get louder right? its wierd i dont even have to use any pleghm. but i do eat a lot of yogurt before i do it. i can last through a good 7 minute song to, no pain in regular voice either

i started working on the whole growling think a few weeks ago. at first i was told that if it hurts dont do it. i went by this advise for about a week, and it was terrible. it was so quiet and it sounded like an old man. but then i was told to make it sound like you were clearing your throat and it kinda came to me. i always used to do this thing when i was like 10. it was sopost to be like a scary voice or something but i found if you did it right it sounded just like the amon amarth type vocals id been tryin to do.
but it hurt like crazy. i started to learn to breath using my diaphram. to do this, when you inhale instead of expanding your chest you should expand your stomach area, you get more lung compasaty this way. when you exhale tighted your abs to push air out of your lungs. but if you do this it releaves pressure from your vocal chords. also after a few days this pain just kinda went a way, you just have to practice a bunch and you chords will get used to it. i dont realy know how good it sounds. i think it does but none of my freinds listen to death metal so they cant tell me how i sound. and i find that the whole saliva/phlegm works for some highs but i never found it works for those deep lows.

use the dump tech the dump tech is like you are taking a shit u push with your belly not your lungs. Look up Melissa Cross and The Zen Of Screaming everyone is going to her now from Randy Blythe to Throwdown I think shes at www.myspace.com/melissacross

I use the dump tech on my highs I damn near black out though depending on how long I hold it Im getting stronger now but Melissa Cross teaches you breathing technics and how to project.
I dont know about you but when Im writing lyrics in my apartment
I cant scream full force I can only do a wisper type screams and they sound good highs and lows but I wasnt able to project them when I was rehearsing untill I used the dump technic. I can do them now Im getting better with them and not blacking out all the time when you push with the belly you can sustain longer also.
Check out www.myspace.com/thrama
The quality isnt the best but we just started 2 weeks ago

I didn't read what anyone else in the thread has said so far, and I'm not a very good singer TONALLY, but I'm pretty good at growly vox. The trick for ANY type of singing though, is to stay relaxed, and under no circumstances should you ever strain to reach a note. It's not worth causing permanent, or even temporary damage to your voice, just to satisfy yourself for one show / recording.

Basically, stay relaxed, and stand up straight so that you can produce more resonance with your lungs. Also, I've been able to sing and growl comfortably for long periods of time simply by letting the noise originate from my upper chest. Basically, if you can feel any tension what-so-ever in your vocal cords, you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: WTF, who bumps a five year old thread!?

I'll excuse your obvious stupidity for starting this topic in the first place. I don't know shit about singing, don't care, and never practice. I just get completely sauced and do it. Welcome to reality. You either have it or you don't. If you don't have it, cry yourself a bath and drown. Bitch.:kickass:

please guys,can someone explain this inward breathing scream,i can belt out growls but i wanna learn the entire vocal range of screams,is corey taylors screams inward breathing or what???

yeah but what would that sound like behind a mic,surely it,d be really soft?
can anyone give me examples of vocalists who use inward breathing in there screams?
thanks sceloporus for the advice.

I'll excuse your obvious stupidity for starting this topic in the first place. I don't know shit about singing, don't care, and never practice. I just get completely sauced and do it. Welcome to reality. You either have it or you don't. If you don't have it, cry yourself a bath and drown. Bitch.:kickass:

man you are full of shit! you just have to find the right technique for your style of vocals, it took my 2 years(on and off) to find mine, now i kick ass, its just about determination

man you are full of shit! you just have to find the right technique for your style of vocals, it took my 2 years(on and off) to find mine, now i kick ass, its just about determination

Must you show your stupidity constantly? Your girlfriend :worship: 's my cock. Eat shit and die.

My blackmetal technique is a creepy talking technique, like a narrator on a horror movie or something, then it can be as animal-like as i have it..
Grunting takes time its fucking impossible to just learn you have to practice until your chords morph so just attempt to grunt along (dont scream unless your an emo fag) to songs and eventually it will sound good and you will say "WHOA what the fuck"

WTF, I thought this whole inward screaming thing was a joke. You mean people actually do this?
Grunting takes time its fucking impossible to just learn you have to practice until your chords morph so just attempt to grunt along (dont scream unless your an emo fag) to songs and eventually it will sound good and you will say "WHOA what the fuck"
Not true. There are some people out there, myself included, who can just naturally growl well, and no practice or experience is needed. The very first time I ever tried a growl was when I was on stage, singing a Metallica song at Karaoke and just growled for the hell of it, and it sounded amazing. Even as stupid as VonCreep's post was, I have to partially agree with him. Some people are just lucky enough to be naturally good at it, even if most do have to work for it.