Vocal Technique - Help please ;)

@Azal: well, I'm sure what you say is acurate and I definitely agree. My point of view is not to immitate Andre's voice, nor to get as high as he goes. What I want is to learn how to reach the top notes of my own range in a safe and technically right way, which means that I will have to use my head voice. Thus, I am trying to see if my teacher will be teaching me this kind of vocals (and I'm really not sure about it :)).

Anyway, I have talked with Matos and his voice is normal, it's not really that 'thin' or high - I've heard people with that kind of voice speaking and you can understand it at once. I don't doubt that he's got a range positioned high, for sure, though. Not too high of course, he can still get that A......... :)

Originally posted by matcauthron
I read the entire thread before posting and found interesting tips. I also wrote a message to get the exercises from Eramaajarvi but she doesn't seem to be on the board at the moment. Anyone could send them to me, please?

Hey hey
Sorry I forgot :( Could you PM me or something? i'm at scghool right now and I can't get my mail, but I'll try to mail you from home...I just need somethung to remind me. ;)

Originally posted by matcauthron
You're probably right. I don't know how to use head voice and when I sing I definitely don't have the impression the voice "comes from the head".

I read the entire thread before posting and found interesting tips. I also wrote a message to get the exercises from Eramaajarvi but she doesn't seem to be on the board at the moment. Anyone could send them to me, please?

Do you think I could learn to use head voice on my own? I have no idea where to start.

Yeah you can, I learned without the help of any teacher or lessons whatsoever. I learned from the internet and watching other singers do their work. Download this MP3 so you can get the idea of head voice.

Chest 2 Head

In this recording head voice starts at the 2 sec. mark:)

Just some opinions:

Some singers rely on falsetto more than others. A good example is Brian Johnson of AC/DC... that guy is falsetto all the way. King Diamond seems to depend on it as well.

Freddy Mercury (mentioned here) didn't use falsetto MUCH, but for certain passages that required a softer color, a well-supported falsetto can add a little drama to a song, and he is "guilty" of this . Russ Allen of Symphony-X does this sometimes as well. Listen to "Candlelight Fantasia" from DWoT to hear a little of this technique. The line in question starts: "Kissing the tears... from your face..."

That said, my preference is to avoid falsetto pretty much completely unless I'm doing cover tunes like AC/DC and such. My head voice gets me where I want to be, and most metal singers get their highs from their head voice anyway.

I HAVE used falsetto sparingly in the past for "screaming" effects, like an Ian Gillan kind of thing, and I may use it on softer passages on my own new material. However, so far for this recording, it's been almost all head voice, with a little chest voice for choral ooohs and aaaahs.

One of the best indications that you're doing head-voice correctly is that you feel it in the front of your face or the top of your head, not in your throat or chest.

Finally, I like to use a technique that I've heard called "speaking volume" singing. I can "belt" if I need to, but for the majority of my vocals, I sing at the same volume that I would speak to someone right in front of me. If you ever "need" to sing loudly to hit or sustain high notes, then your technique probably needs a little work. Being able to hit your highs at a LOW volume is an indication that you are relaxed and aren't having to go through hoops. This helps me to sing for hours on-end with no difficulty.

I hope some of my ramblings help you.

I'm not really good in anything but singing, but I'm taking some piano lessns finally (I played by myself until now), I play contrabass just for a few months now in music school and I WOULD like to be good in bass/guitar. Singing is my primary, but it's pretty frustrating when you have an idea and you can't turn it into an actual song cuz you don't know how to play (and you can't sing riffs to someone so he/she can play them).
I'm just checking out your site and looking forward to what I'm gonna hear! :)

Hi guys, after a long time........... How're you doing? I just wanted to ask something. I feel like there's something in my nose, which prevents me from breathing normally or sing (because I feel like I unintentionally "close" my nose when singing) and the air I breath (I think i've told you about that before) feels dry. I think that it could probably be a problem with my adenoids... Any opinions? I will see a doctor about this, of course, but do you know anything about it? BTW, if I will fixing this problem do any difference to my vocals? To better, to worse?

Thanks ;)

I'm doing pretty darn good hehe. Your best bet is going to a doctor. If you feel that your nose is closing (literally) it could be a little mechanics problem (your facial expressions) you could fix this by looking in a mirror and start singing in front of it, but I really doubt you have that problem :p fixing the problem of course will benefit your vocals (that's if you notice that the problem is affecting your singing) If your throat feels a little dry when you're singing drink lots of watter, Honey helps too but I can't remember what's the recipe lmao :lol: .

Btw are you still taking those lessons? or are you taking a break now?

Originally posted by SevenString

I can "belt" if I need to, but for the majority of my vocals, I sing at the same volume that I would speak to someone right in front of me. If you ever "need" to sing loudly to hit or sustain high notes, then your technique probably needs a little work. Being able to hit your highs at a LOW volume is an indication that you are relaxed and aren't having to go through hoops. This helps me to sing for hours on-end with no difficulty.
Excellent recommendation. Very helpful to me. Thanks.

Hmmmmm....... I can actually sing a lot better this way. I can get high notes easily and also I can control my voice in a much better way. But I guess that I'll have to learn how to make my voice louder without screaming, though, am I wrong? I mean, that's something I believe I will achieve through my classes................

@Ultimate_Symphony: I stopped for two weeks (Christmas) and now I started again............. ;)

Yep, two months have gone by, and I'm back to this thread! ;) Hopefully you can still help me out, with some of my tiring questions! :)

This time I'll choose well-known songs, so that you might easily find them. Let's take Queen's "A Kind Of Magic", for example, ok? I'll try to explain what I hear in Mercury's voice, ok?

After the intro and the first verse (which are sung 'normally') which ends with "...can win these days" comes a line where I suppose he is singing in a different way: "The bell that rings... is challenging" and then goes back to normal for "the doors of time". The same 'switching' seems to take place on the lines (in the refrain) "There can be only one, this rage that burns a thousand years, will soon be gone" (on the higher notes). I can understand:

1. A different sound in his voice
2. If you listen carefully you'll notice a "strange" ending at the end of each line, like he doesn't let his voice drop, but takes it to a certain point and then cut it (I can't explain myself better, but I hope you'll understand what I mean ;))
3. He always lowered these parts in concert. There he only went up to an A (where you could hear that he could not produce a steady tone, but could only keep it for a very short time and it didn't sound relaxed)and took everything else, which would normally be higher, down one octave or sth harmonic.

Also, I'll do the same thing for Shaman's "For Tomorrow". In this song the switching is far more noticable, and it occurs just before G, or something. Forget the intro, which is all in low notes, let's go to the beginning of the heavy part, ok? I write down all lyrics, and highlight all words I hear in a 'different-than-normal' sound. Thus, bold words are the 'non-normal' ones ;):

Day and night we built a reign with heavenly desire
Sweat and dreams made up the bricks that raised up our walls
Paying tribute to the gods and blood kept on flowing
And the lust for knowledge was the sense of it all

Fly, fly to the stars, reach them on high
Bring up the answers of the night
Roll with the clouds, sing with the birds,
Cause one day we'll have to say goodbye

(maybe some words are sung normally in the last verse, there's not such a big difference though).

Here I can also notice that sometime Matos is not really accurate on the notes, just before the changes (that is, the lowest notes he hits with his 'not-normal'- voice) like for example the word 'the' in the second line. That's what I can hear. But maybe I'm wrong. If anyone has the time, please let me know your opinion on this. And please also tell me (if the switching really happens and is not only my idea), what is that thing there? It's when he switches from head to chest voice and vice versa?

Thanks so much,
Menelaos