Vocal Technique - Help please ;)

I don't have any fuckin' idea, I'm really confused... I mean, she tells me that she does not know WHAT is that head voice and I really don't know if she does this combined, or if she calls it falsetto as half of the globe seems to do or if she will not teach that to me at all. I think I'll have to go looking for someone to 'help me improve my voice, especially head voice, and make that smooth transaction'. But I really don't know if that will be ok. The good side is that I know people who know famous Greek singing teachers, teachers who have tought very famous greek artists (who suck big time, but the fact remains that they had the money and label backing to choose the best), so I can probably try something that way......... what od you think?

Originally posted by Tyrion
I actually just remembered a rock context where "falsett singing" was mentioned. How would you describe Ian Gillians singing in "Child in Time"? Is that falsetto or head voice? I think you'd say head voice, but in German his style of singing is always described as "Falsett".

So maybe there is really a different meaning of the word in both languages.

Actually I don't have any idea who's Ian Gillians :s if his style of singing is described as Falsett and in the dictionary says that Falsett is head voice then it must be head voice. I agree it must be a language thing :)

(who suck big time, but the fact remains that they had the money and label backing to choose the best)

lmao!!!!:lol: :lol:dude great quote you made there haha

Your best bet is to burn the mp3 you downloaded and show it to her... maybe she knows what's head voice but she doesn't know what's the name of that style of singing :) My recommendation is to stick with your actual teacher, show the mp3 to her and see if she can teach you something. If you think that she's not good for ya maybe you should look for another teacher (take some lessons with her though)

Oh btw something just got into my mind :D check your teacher's history, I mean see what kind of people she has teached and what they say about her.

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
Actually I don't have any idea who's Ian Gillians :s

Vocalist of Deep Purple

@Feanor
maybe she knows what's head voice but she doesn't know what's the name of that style of singing [/B]

I dont know what education your teacher got, I just think it's pretty unusal to teach head voice, especially if this woman got a classical background. A classic singing education at a music conservatory definitley doesnt include the teaching of head voice. Maybe you should just ask her if she ever learned anything about head voice, and if not, is she knew another teacher who actually does have any knowledge about it.

thanks to both of you guys for your kind advice i will do both. I will take the mp3 to her and see what she says. She has in fact taken classical training and indeed she does not know anything about head voice, save that it exists :) I will also try to ask her if she knows anyone who would be able to help me with that..............

THANKS FOR ALL!!!! :):):)

Oh I see but i'm not into Deep Purple, I can't help anyone in classical style since i'm not into it... maybe eraamajarvi knows something about it:confused:

I just remembered something :D hey Tyrion have you heard of ''light mechanism''? it's another name for head voice maybe you've heard about it? :)

Heck I must suppose that in the classical style they don't involve head voice, it's odd :err: maybe eraamajarvi (or Martin) can enlighten us :cool:

:err: Are you trying to sing high notes when that happens? or normal notes? [/B]

Both, depending on what I'm improvising. Of course if the notes get too high, I have to go down one octave not to strain my throat (obviously I don't have clue one about head voice).

Any advice to get started (see previous message)?

I think I got it!!:eek: :D :D :D :D :D :) :D :D :D :)

Trying to sing high notes my voice suddenly changes (when in a song) and becomes weaker. I assumed that this was my falsetto. But, listening to the sample and experimenting, I found out that I can reach those notes with two 'parallel' but different ways.

The one is louder and more 'full' while the other one is more 'airy', my exhale-sound is loud then. And I can indeed clearly feel that in the one I ONLY use a part of my chords, the one very close to their top. From what we have been saying all this time, this is my falsetto, and the voice I tend to use for high notes is head voice (YEAH!). So, what I definitely need is practice to make my head voice a bit better and to make sure that the switching to it won't be so obvious. I can do a very smooth change if I sing scales or something, but in a song I lose focus and mess it. BTW, I find it harder to switch seamlessly from head to chest than vice versa...

BTW, it may sound strange, but -by the Feanor-ish definition of Head Voice ;)- I can handle my Head Voice better than my Chest Voice...

Anyway, what I think about the whole thing with my teacher, finally, is that she was not tought that head voice as something different than 'fake voice' (which, I assumed, refers to 'falsetto'), clearly because there's a lot of confusion between the two. Maybe she was actually tought *this* as 'fake voice' and she didn't use falsetto, which is logical since she is a woman.......... Any opinions??

I think my sleep helped a lot :)

Trying to sing high notes my voice suddenly changes (when in a song) and becomes weaker. I assumed that this was my falsetto. But, listening to the sample and experimenting, I found out that I can reach those notes with two 'parallel' but different ways.

Yeah I think you got it too :)

Anyway, what I think about the whole thing with my teacher, finally, is that she was not tought that head voice as something different than 'fake voice' (which, I assumed, refers to 'falsetto'), clearly because there's a lot of confusion between the two. Maybe she was actually tought *this* as 'fake voice' and she didn't use falsetto, which is logical since she is a woman.......... Any opinions??

It makes sense maybe that's the problem.

I can do a very smooth change if I sing scales or something, but in a song I lose focus and mess it. BTW, I find it harder to switch seamlessly from head to chest than vice versa...

I'm sure your teacher (or Martin) will help ya on this, with practice you'll be able to switch more smoothly

The website guy :p

@matcauthron
Both, depending on what I'm improvising. Of course if the notes get too high, I have to go down one octave not to strain my throat (obviously I don't have clue one about head voice).

Well let's see, my first advice is to read all this messages on this thread maybe you can find something here :D
You must be using chest voice only, are you sure that your throat gets tired when singing normal notes?maybe the problem is that you're running out of air :) for the high notes you need to learn how to use head voice.

yeah Ultimate Symphony...he sang for Yngwie

check out the entire Alchemy album....I think it's the most vocally challenging stuff ever put on a metal CD.....and the fucked up part is I have boots of him singing it all perfectly live.

Also he has a new band called Ring of Fire....which shreds Yngwie

featuring Tony MacAlpine, Virgil Donati, Phillip Bynoe and Vitalij Kuprij.

and mark's solo albums are great too.

I have a version of mark singing Puccini's "Nessun Dorma" with a full choir and symphonic orchestra that is absolutely breath taking.

if you want any MP3s...PM me :)

and btw Feanor....

Matos has a really high voice naturally, he's like a second tenor for sure.

Not many people can do highs like him, but in return, he can't do lows like Tate....

I reccomend getting to know your voice and what range it's comfortable in.....

if you don't have a voice as naturally high as Andre's you probably won't be able to hit those notes with the ease and smoothness he does....

so just find your own range...and embrace it ;)

The website guy :p

@matcauthron

Well let's see, my first advice is to read all this messages on this thread maybe you can find something here :D
You must be using chest voice only, are you sure that your throat gets tired when singing normal notes?maybe the problem is that you're running out of air :) for the high notes you need to learn how to use head voice.

You're probably right. I don't know how to use head voice and when I sing I definitely don't have the impression the voice "comes from the head".

I read the entire thread before posting and found interesting tips. I also wrote a message to get the exercises from Eramaajarvi but she doesn't seem to be on the board at the moment. Anyone could send them to me, please?

Do you think I could learn to use head voice on my own? I have no idea where to start.