Vocal Technique - Help please ;)

Feanor IV

Jan 22, 2002
Athens, Greece
www.metal-realm.com
Hey there,

I've just started my vocal classes and I have a few questions. If anyone can help me out, that'll be great! :)

1. Does the falsetto technique 'come with the package' of the classes (in general) or do I have to ask my teacher for it?

2. What's the logical order you learn singing? If I'm not mistaken, first you fix your chest voice, then head (which is, I think, more high-pitched)

3. Will my chest-singing ruin my falsetto?

Thanks in advance - any help will be GREATLY appreciated! :)

AHA, Here's my teritorry! ;)
What do you study - pop/rock or classical singing?

1. Every singer with classes learns how to sing powerfully WITHOUT falsetto. So you shouldn't develop your falsetto technique. Ask your teacher about it - he/she will tell you the same thing.
2. First you learn the breathing thing, using your plexus (diaphragme) and in the very beginning you won't sing much, you'll just do the breathing technique exercises. Then everything else comes.
3. Huh? Falsetto is BAD. :p Stop thinking about falsetto and concentrate on real singing. :p

Reactions: Furious B
heh first of all I don't know about the first two questions since I never took lessons :p

As for the third question, Having a good falsetto technique won't ruin your chest voice but having a strong falsetto will probably weaken your head voice or the other way around (having a strong head voice will probably weaken your falsetto)

my advice: keep your singing balanced and if you really want to do some falsetto the less the better keep yourself balanced on the techniques and you'll be able to throw up some falsetto on your singing without worrying about the head voice.

hope that helped a little :D

Hey guys! ;)

Both of you said really interesting things! :) But, I have one more question, or two. If I must not use falsetto, then how do I scream out stuff like, ie Andre Matos (ex-Angra, Shaman, Virgo), Fabio Lione (Rhapsody) and singers like that? Not that I only like this type of vocals, in fact I only love Matos in this style, but I'd like to know how to produce this notes the right way... I mean, I can do it now, but it really ruins my throat, I feel it......

Any opinions...?

Short update: I'm studying 'modern vocals' which is that pop/rock type of vocals you mentioned, Eramaajarvi! :) But I'd be interesting in having some classical singing classes later. I love both areas, I just felt that I was looking forward more to modern vocals than classical............. ;)

Originally posted by Feanor IV
Hey guys! ;)

Both of you said really interesting things! :) But, I have one more question, or two. If I must not use falsetto, then how do I scream out stuff like, ie Andre Matos (ex-Angra, Shaman, Virgo), Fabio Lione (Rhapsody) and singers like that? Not that I only like this type of vocals, in fact I only love Matos in this style, but I'd like to know how to produce this notes the right way... I mean, I can do it now, but it really ruins my throat, I feel it......

Any opinions...?

mmmm I've never heard any stuff by Andre Matos but i've heard some Rhapsody if you know any songs by them that Fabio uses those type of vocals I could help you a little more :D

@Eramaajarvi: Hahaha, no it's not like that ;) I don't like Lione's way of singing, this constant vibrao gets on my nerves. I just used him as an example.

I know that both Lione and, especially, Matos have a very good knowledge of the singing technique, and I'm not dreaming of reaching their level, at least not easily. Even if I have the vocal abilities, I know that it takes a lot of hard work, but I'm really willing to do it!!

As a good example of Matos's way of singing in full range, both low and high notes, I would suggest that you download Shaman's "Fairy Tale". This track showcases the technique Matos uses. If you guys can hear it, please tell me what you think. I mean, isn't this falsetto? Or what? I'm not too much into vocal theoritical stuff, so I might be interpreting the word 'falsetto' wrong - it might just be another way of singing. But what I wanted to know if I will get help in my classes to sing stuff from, ie Queen (Freddie Mercury is my favorite vocalist, together with Matos), or Angra... I assume it's more or less the same as with singing Bruce Dickinson's stuff.

Anyway, I try to explain myself as well as I can, this is why I wrote this huge post ;) Sorry... :cry: In just a few words: I like singing high-pitched, like Matos, Dickinson, Mercury etc. What technique is this done with, the right way, and will I be tought this technique in my lessons, or do I have to go especially for it?

Thank you so much,
Menelaos

Mercury - now THAT is a good idol to choose ;)
Well, if you wanna get anywhere near him, I suggest classical lessons.
I can mail you a few beginner's practises from classical lessons :)

Falsetto is singing beyond your abilities. I don't know if you play any instrument, but I could compare it with flagoletti (harmonics) on guitar and strings. Falsetto is weak singing, not with a full voice.

And by the way - I know all about falsettos and stuff...the first songs I ever sang were by Nightwish :lol:

I believe that Mercury was really one of the top 20 century's vocalists, as far as rock/pop music is concerned, don't you agree?

Well, by classical lessons you mean like a choir, tenor etc, right? Why do you say that?

Another point: so, Mercury was not using falsetto, that's what you're saying...?

And by the way, I'd really love to know if this singing style (Matos, Dickinson, Mercury etc) with high-pitched vocals is done in falsetto or some other way... :)

Well, I play the guitar......... so I totally understand what you mean... So, probably I'm not using the word 'falsetto' in the right way. Thus, I repeat my most basic and probably stupid question: how is this technique called...? :):D :rolleyes:

Thanks so much, you guys are saving my ass! :)

BTW, one more question: when I was a bit younger, say 3 years ago (now I'm 19) I could easily sing from the bottom notes of my voice to the top with no breaks. Now, I have 'lost' some notes. I know that this is not because I grew older and my voice grew more 'mature', but because the whole thing is a bit 'scratched'. I mean, I feel my vocal cords wounded, when I try to sing intermediate notes, and when I try to sing in this-which-falsetto-must-be way only air comes out... That's only in the last 1-2 years. Before that everything was crystal-clear :)

I assume it's because then I started singing more aggresive and 'harsh' songs, and those notes simply dissapeared from my scratched throat, but... can I bring them back through exercise and proper singing? (by 'proper singing' I mean if I learn how to sing the right way so that I don't hurt them anymore)

Does anybody know if I can do something about it? Or is it permanent damage...? :(

Originally posted by Eramaajarvi
Mercury - now THAT is a good idol to choose ;)
Well, if you wanna get anywhere near him, I suggest classical lessons.
I can mail you a few beginner's practises from classical lessons :)

Falsetto is singing beyond your abilities. I don't know if you play any instrument, but I could compare it with flagoletti (harmonics) on guitar and strings. Falsetto is weak singing, not with a full voice.

And by the way - I know all about falsettos and stuff...the first songs I ever sang were by Nightwish :lol:

Could you mail some to me too please? :D

Charlie, Feanor, if you want those practises, e-mail or ICQ me!

Originally posted by Feanor IV
I believe that Mercury was really one of the top 20 century's vocalists, as far as rock/pop music is concerned, don't you agree?

Well, by classical lessons you mean like a choir, tenor etc, right? Why do you say that?

Another point: so, Mercury was not using falsetto, that's what you're saying...?

And by the way, I'd really love to know if this singing style (Matos, Dickinson, Mercury etc) with high-pitched vocals is done in falsetto or some other way... :)

Well, I play the guitar......... so I totally understand what you mean... So, probably I'm not using the word 'falsetto' in the right way. Thus, I repeat my most basic and probably stupid question: how is this technique called...? :):D :rolleyes:

Thanks so much, you guys are saving my ass! :)

Hell yes, Mercury was THE top singer :)

Mercury and falsetto? Are you mad? ;)

That technique they use is called SINGING! :p There's no real name for it, but if you wish,. you may call it singing with full voice.

I apologize for not posting sooner:D (my computer is screwed up and she works when she wants to :mad: ) i'm going to check those songs out and i'll post what I think.

Oh btw Feanor if you want to hear a singer using some falsetto listen to King Diamond's work (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond)

King is a bad ass singer with quite the range, I wouldnt be surprised if that guy did some opera.